Airbag light , door hinge yellow plug

Hi all , I’ve previously repaired  this cable in photo with a connector but it’s broken again and airbag light on again , can this cable be replaced? Easy job? Does anyone know the product name and number for airbag cable within the rubber of drivers side door hinge for 2005 skoda Octavia ... I believe there might be two different types for early and later mk2s 

many thx 

B7AAF2B2-25F8-4E95-B90A-98F6AEFEED38.jpeg

If you replaced it before why can't you don't again?

I'm pretty sure that an impact sensor which will trigger the airbags under impact. 

You will need to clear the engine code and afaics will need at least a decent scanner if not the official ross tech scanner itself.

The OP said "repaired" & not replaced, frankly anyone that would call using a chocolate block on a safety critical cable in the tight confines of a flexing door loop a "repair" is an eternal optimist.

You can find the part number by using 7zap or any of the other sites.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aj77 said:

If you replaced it before why can't you don't again?

I'm pretty sure that an impact sensor which will trigger the airbags under impact. 

You will need to clear the engine code and afaics will need at least a decent scanner if not the official ross tech scanner itself.

I didn’t replace it before if you actually read ... I repair it with a connector! Which lasted 15 months ... don’t need to clear any codes either .... when it’s fixed the light goes out 

• Like 1

I honestly don’t know why I bother on here!!! If all you have is sarcasm and no help then feel free to know where to go!!! Jesus 

• Confused 1

A chock block really isn't a suitable item to do a repair with. Strip the insulation off on each side a little bit and splice in another short length of cable and solder it. Buy a little bit of heat shrink to wrap the joint. Soldering is pretty easy and not expensive even if you don't have a soldering iron and have to buy one. You'll probably use it again for something else and probably cheaper than buying a new cable.

Edited by Tinbum
spelling

54 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You can find the part number by using 7zap or any of the other sites.

Does that not count as help?

If not then neither will the following but as I don't know where it is I am supposed to go I will continue.

Soldering will cause a brittle heat affected zone which will be more prone to fracturing, noneltheless its a valid repair method for this if you use a proper flexible cable with flexible insulation and make the 2 soldered joints well away from the part which flexes which looks to be impossible from the photograph, best thing is to replace the loom section, you can find the part number from 7zap.

Some machinery I designed was having service failures, the production department were using soldered bootlace ferrules on cable terminations, I got them to move to crimp terminals but failures were still occuring, the I found that they were dipping the wire ends into the solder pot before crimping, despite our best efforts some of them contined to do this so we removed the solder pot on H&S reasons after someone tipped it over and burnt themselves.

no more wiring fractures after that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shacky13 said:

I honestly don’t know why I bother on here!!! If all you have is sarcasm and no help then feel free to know where to go!!! Jesus 

There will usually be a VW group part number on the connector housing.  It may take magnification to be able to read it, but if you can, stick that number into the ebay search box and usually you will get results for both bare connector kits (housing plus crimp inserts, plus seals where applicable) and pre-wired connectors. If you can, buy the prewired and splice that into the existing loom beyond the 'bending area'.  

• Like 2

Looks like 3B0973702 is the housing part number, but ebay results aren't as helpful as I predicted. A few used ones with only short wires.  

De-pinning your existing one, and inserting some repair wires may be the way to go.  I think the part number for a 500mm double ended repair wires is 000979131EA

e.g. Audi VW Skoda Seat Repair Pipe 000979131ea (selectively GILT) | eBay

Cut that in half and just be careful to mimic the existing pinout polarity.

May be cheaper and quicker to buy from a TPS or dealer locally.

• Like 2

Just for anyone reading this, using a block connector on an airbag wire is at best not ideal, arguably dangerous. Airbag systems work on resistance values for each component, By adding a connector into the mix, the resistance on that wire will have increased slightly. You risk anything from a simple fault code of "high resistance" to the sensor, the sensor not reporting correctly which could cause no, or worse unwanted deployment of the airbags.

Official repair method would be a new connector and pins and wire as Wino has posted. Joined to the original wire by a VAG group yellow butt connector (000 979 940 if memory serves me right) and some heat shrink covering

Edited by daz1986