Firm seats

Zapperthesnapper

Hello. Just had a test drive in a Yeti (which we liked a lot) but found the leather seats very firm to the point that I was hobbling a little when I got out of the car. The squab seemed overly firm, at least to me. Admittedly I do have a sciatic nerve problem, which obviously isn't the cars fault - has anyone else had a similar issue with the Yeti's seats? If so have you used a car seat cushion (there seem to be many on the market) to get around the problem? 

Would really like to buy the Yeti but it would be daft to do so if I can't get comfortable. Had a similar problem with a Tiguan I drove of late and also a mk 3 Golf I once owned. Have test driven a few of the Yeti's competitors of late (Kuga, Quasqui, Tiguan, RAV4, Hyundai Ix35) and much preferred the Skoda to any of them (Kuga a good second) for its drivability, practicality, looks, and definitely build quality (maybe the Tiguan was a poor example). But the seats in the Kuga and Quasqui suited my frame better. 

To repeat would much prefer to buy the Yeti if I can get around the seat issue. Ant thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Zapperthesnapper said:

would much prefer to buy the Yeti if I can get around the seat issue.

OTOH seat comfort is to some extent a matter of individual preference. As a worked example, a colleague and I both found the Citroen BX to be a very comfortable car. He got back pain in a Citroen Xantia after about half an hour, but I could drive 9 hours in one with comfort stops and snack breaks, and feel fresh enough to go out for a meal with mates afterwards.

Yes they are very firm but suit me well and I find them comfortable after a long journey which I didn't expect.

Yes, seating is a personal thing. I seem to find German cars and their offspring not having seats to suit me. So far. 

Am taking the Yeti for an extended test drive tomorrow to see if the if my dodgy leg  holds up.

I too had a BX and found the seats comfortable, indeed the car was a relaxing drive. Except it seemed to spend more time being repaired and the bills weren't relaxing! The most unreliable car I've owned. 

Thanks both for your replies. 

Took us a few extended drives to find our best positions......fiddling seat back, lumbar support, height and steering wheel position etc.

(Came from 20+ years of Espace armchairs)

SWMBO and I are slightly south and slightly north of 70 but have enjoyed pain free Yeti drives all over Europe, often in 200+ mile chunks.

I picked up my new Yeti hitched up my caravan and drove to Norfolk.

I have sciatica (and always take my wallet out of my back pocket!) we

stopped once at a services. I put my seat heater on at the start of the trip.

Oh, and I had three discs removed as these were major contributers of Sciatica.

Apart from the normal need to stretch my legs it was fine.

@ZapperthesnapperWelcome to the forum.

Best that you go and look at other Yeti and feel the seats in them as there might well be differences from what was specced new and how they have been used and by what weight of drivers.

Are you after a particular Yeti engine / gearbox / drivetrain / trim level?

?

What height and weight are you?

11 hours ago, Zapperthesnapper said:

Am taking the Yeti for an extended test drive tomorrow to see if the if my dodgy leg  holds up.

Well, best wishes. FWIW I've never been in a Yeti (any engine or trim) but have also found Octavias (all models, variety of trims from Classic to Elegance) and a Superb 3 comfortable to drive and as a passenger. Unless you need the extra height to get in and out, why not try a car rather than an SUV? Or look for an Octavia Scout?

11 hours ago, Bexhillian said:

Took us a few extended drives to find our best positions......fiddling seat back, lumbar support, height and steering wheel position etc.

(Came from 20+ years of Espace armchairs)

SWMBO and I are slightly south and slightly north of 70 but have enjoyed pain free Yeti drives all over Europe, often in 200+ mile chunks.

Thanks for the reply.

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

I picked up my new Yeti hitched up my caravan and drove to Norfolk.

I have sciatica (and always take my wallet out of my back pocket!) we

stopped once at a services. I put my seat heater on at the start of the trip.

Oh, and I had three discs removed as these were major contributers of Sciatica.

Apart from the normal need to stretch my legs it was fine.

That's interesting - I appreciate your reply. Will post this evening the result of my test drive.

Is there a problem with those particular seats as they are generally regarded as the most comfortable, mine are very comfortable on a long journey.

2 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@ZapperthesnapperWelcome to the forum.

Best that you go and look at other Yeti and feel the seats in them as there might well be differences from what was specced new and how they have been used and by what weight of drivers.

Are you after a particular Yeti engine / gearbox / drivetrain / trim level?

?

What height and weight are you?

The dealer has other Yet's on the forecourt. Did briefly sit in one with cloth covered seats but the firmness seemed the same to me.

Needs to be the 2.0L 140BHP diesel to tow my caravan. This one is a 2014  4x4 Yeti Elegance (Outdoor??). Not after any particular spec. 

I'm a shade under 6ft and approx 13 st. I think!

Nearly bought a Quashqai but wasn't too happy with some things about it. In any case am glad I didn't as the Yeti seems so much more solid feeling which i like.

How many miles would a properly maintained Yeti 2.0 diesel with the 140 bhp engine do do you think? 150k? Difficult to say am sure.

Thanks for the reply and help.

9 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Is there a problem with those particular seats as they are generally regarded as the most comfortable, mine are very comfortable on a long journey.

Its more probably me rather than the seats tbh. I don't seem to suit VW group seats. Or at t#least the ones I've sat in. I'll find out more today after a long test drive. Am taking a cushion with me!

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Well, best wishes. FWIW I've never been in a Yeti (any engine or trim) but have also found Octavias (all models, variety of trims from Classic to Elegance) and a Superb 3 comfortable to drive and as a passenger. Unless you need the extra height to get in and out, why not try a car rather than an SUV? Or look for an Octavia Scout?

We both just like the extra height of a SUV type vehicle. Have a Focus C Max at present which is a bit higher than average.

I have had two Yeti 2L 110ps  front wheel drive, and towed Eriba and Bailey vans within their weight limits, beautiful drive (often as quickly as possible)

I am 6' 2" and about 15 st. with long legs 33"good luck with your search.

Edited by gumdrop

I had my Yeti for nearly 10 years and never found it uncomfortable, firm yes. One answer might be (and I appreciatice its rare) is to find a car with the electric drivers seat option, as it has more adjustments than the manual.

Andy

• Love it! 1

The seating position is widely adjustable in the Yeti and you can struggle at first to get that sweet spot. 

In my view lumbar support is a must, we've had two Yeti's without and one with, it makes a big difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

The seating position is widely adjustable in the Yeti and you can struggle at first to get that sweet spot. 

In my view lumbar support is a must, we've had two Yeti's without and one with, it makes a big difference.

That is very true, I was very  (fiercely) possesive of my seat settings, if it went in for a service .

I told the driver that collected the Yeti not to adjust the drivers seat on pain of death!

• Like 1

I've got the, apparently very rare, electrically adjustable driver's seat with heated leather on both front seats in my 2016 Yeti SE L Drive.  Coming from a Mk5 Golf GT Sport, three previous VW Tiguans and our current 2019 Karoq SE L with heated leather, I don't find the Yeti's driver's seat to be at all comfortable.  The seat cushion is too hard and flat, the bolsters aren't big enough to support me under hard cornering and I can never get the electric bolster adjustment quite right. 

I keep thinking about sourcing a pair of Mk1 Tiguan seats to see if they'll fit.  Since both cars are on the Mk5 Golf platform, they should...

• Like 1

Thank you all for your interest and help. I had a longer drive yesterday (June 1st) in the Yeti again but just could not get comfortable despite fiddling with the seat adjustments.  Like Schtum I find the seat cushion just too hard and flat - at least for me. Obviously my sciatic nerve problem doesn't help - after driving it my the nerve was 'tingling' as such. I get the same problem sitting on a hard chair so its not the car seats 'fault' as such, I guess it must be near impossible to build a seat to suit every person out there. I did try a car seat cushion that I bought from Halfords before the drive but that was like sitting on a lump of jelly (not that I ever have!). Also tried a different cushion but to no avail. There probably is a seat cushion/cover out there that would suit but I can't take the risk of spending a lot of money on a car and taking the chance I might get a cushion to suit. On the positive side this is forcing me to get my sciatic nerve problem looked at  - its only really been a minor irritation up to now - so I'll shelve changing my car until the problem is resolved one way or another.

On another positive note I find it heart warming that so many (you all!) people bother to take the time and trouble to help someone you don't know and are unlikely to meet - the kindness of strangers. The world isn't all bad.

Thank you once again.

• Like 1

I specified my 2014 factory build SE with sports seats. Actually slightly shaped with small bolsters for support. These seemed to be the same shape as higher spec leather models. They were excellent. First long run was nearly 700 miles towing a caravan down into France. I have back problems and spent form 2am to 6pm in the seat. No problems at all. Probably the most comfortable seats I've had.

Colin

• Like 1