Decoding a Karoq's VIN

CJJE

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

I've heard from the dealer that my new car is with them and, from the CRD that I've signed, the 10th character of the VIN is the letter N; so, presumably MY 2022.

Allan

• Thanks 1

Updated for MY22 cars.

All cars have a unique 17 character identity code – their Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. For Karoqs this is displayed at the bottom lefthand corner of the windscreen, on a sticker at the base of the middle body pillar, and stamped into the righthand suspension turret under the bonnet.

It takes the form: TMB LJ7 NU 7J5 012345 and can be decoded as follows:

The first 3 characters are TMB for Škoda cars.

The 4th character tells you the chassis type: J = left-hand drive FWD, K = right-hand drive FWD, L = left-hand drive 4x4 and M = right-hand drive 4x4. 

The 5th character tells you the engine: E = 2.0 TSI 190PS, G = 1.6 TDI 115PS, J = 2.0 TDI 150PS, M = 2.0 TDI 190 PS, P = 1.0 TSI 115PS, R = 1.5 TSI 150PS. (Anyone know the code for the 2.0 TDI 115PS engine or Russian 1.6 MPI engines?) 

The 6th character tells you how many airbags the car has: 2 = 2 front airbags, 4 = 2 front and 2 side airbags, 5 2 fronts + 2 sides + 1 knee airbag, 6 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads, 7 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag, 8 2 front airbags + 4 sides + 2 heads, 9 = 2 front bags + 4 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag.

The 7th and 8th character tell you the vehicle model: NU = the Karoq (2017 on).

The 9th character is a check digit to validate the code.

The 10th character tells you the car's model year: J = MY2018 (ie manufactured between summer 2017 and summer 2018), K = MY2019 (ie manufactured between summer 2018 and summer 2019), L = MY2020 (ie manufactured between summer 2019 and summer 2020), M = MY2021 (ie manufactured between summer 2020 and summer 2021), N = MY2022 (ie manufactured between summer 2021 and summer 2022).

The 11th character tells you where your car was built: 0 to 4 = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia; 5 = Kvasiny, Czechia; 7 or 8 = Vrchlabi, Czechia; B = Solomonovo, Ukraine; H = Nizhny Novgorod, Russia; J = Osnabruck, Germany; K = Kaluga, Russia; N = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia.

Then finally the 12th to 17th numbers are the unique production number for that production line and year. 

If anyone has a character in their VIN not listed above, please give me the details so I can update this guide.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by CJJE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Updated for MY23 cars.

All cars have a unique 17 character identity code – their Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. For Karoqs this is displayed at the bottom lefthand corner of the windscreen, on a sticker at the base of the middle body pillar, and stamped into the righthand suspension turret under the bonnet.

The first 3 characters are TMB for Škoda cars.

The 4th character tells you the chassis type: J = left-hand drive FWD, K = right-hand drive FWD, L = left-hand drive 4x4 and M = right-hand drive 4x4. 

The 5th character tells you the engine: E = 2.0 TSI 190PS, G = 1.6 TDI 115PS, J = 2.0 TDI 150PS, M = 2.0 TDI 190 PS, P = 1.0 TSI 115PS, R = 1.5 TSI 150PS. (Anyone know the code for the 2.0 TDI 115PS engine or Russian 1.6 MPI engines?) 

The 6th character tells you how many airbags the car has: 2 = 2 front airbags, 4 = 2 front and 2 side airbags, 5 2 fronts + 2 sides + 1 knee airbag, 6 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads, 7 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag, 8 2 front airbags + 4 sides + 2 heads, 9 = 2 front bags + 4 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag.

The 10th character tells you the car's model year: J = MY2018 (ie manufactured between summer 2017 and summer 2018), K = MY2019 (ie manufactured between summer 2018 and summer 2019), L = MY2020 (ie manufactured between summer 2019 and summer 2020), M = MY2021 (ie manufactured between summer 2020 and summer 2021), N = MY2022 (ie manufactured between summer 2021 and summer 2022), P = MY2023 (ie manufactured between summer 2022 and summer 2023).

The 11th character tells you where your car was built: 0 to 4 = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia; 5 = Kvasiny, Czechia; 7 or 8 = Vrchlabi, Czechia; B = Solomonovo, Ukraine; H = Nizhny Novgorod, Russia; J = Osnabruck, Germany; K = Kaluga, Russia; N = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia.

Then finally the 12th to 17th numbers are the unique production number for that production line and year. 

If anyone has a character in their VIN not listed above, please give me the details so I can update this guide.

Thanks

Chris

• Thanks 1

Updated for MY23 cars and non-European cars (with thanks to Varooom).

The first 3 characters are XW8 for cars made in Russia, or TMB for cars made in other Skoda manufacturing plants.

The 5th character tells you the engine: C = 1.4 TSI 150 PS, E = 2.0 TSI 190PS, F = 2.0 TDI 115 PS, G = 1.6 TDI 115PS, H = 2.0 TDI 140 PS, J = 2.0 TDI 150PS, M = 2.0 TDI 190 PS, N = 1.6 MPI 110 PS (Russian market), P = 1.0 TSI 115PS, R = 1.5 TSI 150PS.

In Europe, the 6th character tells you how many airbags the car has: 2 = 2 front airbags, 4 = 2 front and 2 side airbags, 5 2 fronts + 2 sides + 1 knee airbag, 6 = 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads, 7 2 front airbags + 2 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag, 8 2 front airbags + 4 sides + 2 heads, 9 = 2 front bags + 4 sides + 2 heads + 1 knee airbag. (However in India, this character is used to show the month of manufacture: A = January. B = February, C = March, D = April, E = May, F = June, G = July, H = August, J = September, K = October, L = November, M = December.)

For European cars, the 10th character tells you the car's model year: J = MY2018 (ie manufactured between summer 2017 and summer 2018), K = MY2019 (ie manufactured between summer 2018 and summer 2019), L = MY2020 (ie manufactured between summer 2019 and summer 2020), M = MY2021 (ie manufactured between summer 2020 and summer 2021), N = MY2022 (ie manufactured between summer 2021 and summer 2022), P = MY2023 (ie manufactured between summer 2022 and summer 2023). (However in India this character tells you the year of manufacture: J = 2018, K = 2019, L = 2020, M = 2021, N = 2022, P = 2023. 

The 11th character tells you where your car was built: 0 to 4 = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia; 5 = Kvasiny, Czechia; 7 or 8 = Vrchlabi, Czechia; B = Solomonovo, Ukraine; C = Brataslava, Slovakia; H = Nizhny Novgorod, Russia; J = Osnabruck, Germany; K = Kaluga, Russia; N = Mladá Boleslav, Czechia.

If anyone has a character in their VIN not listed above, please tell me so that I can update this guide.

Thanks

Chris

• Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

Is there a (free) decoder that tells you the build/spec of the car from the VIN? - I've Googled and read through FB and Forum posts, and any links don't seem to work, or they start asking for money... 

Advice appreciated. Thanks 

3 hours ago, PaulCourtney said:

Is there a (free) decoder that tells you the build/spec of the car from the VIN? - I've Googled and read through FB and Forum posts, and any links don't seem to work, or they start asking for money... 

Nope, but...

Web chat to Skoda UK, they can provide.

Visit dealer is another free way.

11 hours ago, PaulCourtney said:

It's not free, but the ERWIN system lets you buy a short trial access to the VAG database pretty cheaply. 

See 

for details

Chris 

• 1 year later...