AC and ventilation with a mind of its own

Now generally I think I've been lucky with my car so far seeing as it was an early production model but as this warmer weather finally appears it has shown some terrible flaws in the HVAC system.

On all my previous cars when you turn the AC to max cold I've had a hurricane of icy cold air but not on this one. No matter how long I have spent adjusting all the controls in manual and auto all I get is a feeble waft of air so I've ended up having the windows open which is less than ideal especially on the motorway. Every now and then when I've switched the car on the HVAC roars and there is a gush of air flow but seconds later that stops and no matter what I do I can't replicate it. When I was driving the other day there was a loud clunking noise from front the passenger side footwell as if some HVAC flaps or valves were slamming closed and most, if not all of the flow slowed to a trickle. Even pulling over and switching off and on again couldn't fix it. I'm not a big fan of the 'non button' HVAC system but I do know my way around it.

I'm arranging for it to go in to the dealer for it's software update soon, so hopefully they'll be able to see what the issue is before  I slowly roast alive in the car.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the HVAC?  A quick search of the forum didn't show anything.

My first 6 months of driving was around The Midlands during the long hot summer of 1976 so I know your pain. Somehow four open windows and 70mph don’t quite cut it - like standing in front of a hair drier on full heat 😂

Joking aside, it sounds like some of the control linkages have come adrift on your car - hope they can fix it soon…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sneal said:

My first 6 months of driving was around The Midlands during the long hot summer of 1976 so I know your pain. Somehow four open windows and 70mph don’t quite cut it - like standing in front of a hair drier on full heat 😂

Joking aside, it sounds like some of the control linkages have come adrift on your car - hope they can fix it soon…

Ah yes, the summer of 76, what a summer that was :biggrin:

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of that. I hope it's something simple anyway.

9 hours ago, Fishcann said:

Now generally I think I've been lucky with my car so far seeing as it was an early production model but as this warmer weather finally appears it has shown some terrible flaws in the HVAC system.

On all my previous cars when you turn the AC to max cold I've had a hurricane of icy cold air but not on this one. No matter how long I have spent adjusting all the controls in manual and auto all I get is a feeble waft of air so I've ended up having the windows open which is less than ideal especially on the motorway. Every now and then when I've switched the car on the HVAC roars and there is a gush of air flow but seconds later that stops and no matter what I do I can't replicate it. When I was driving the other day there was a loud clunking noise from front the passenger side footwell as if some HVAC flaps or valves were slamming closed and most, if not all of the flow slowed to a trickle. Even pulling over and switching off and on again couldn't fix it. I'm not a big fan of the 'non button' HVAC system but I do know my way around it.

I'm arranging for it to go in to the dealer for it's software update soon, so hopefully they'll be able to see what the issue is before  I slowly roast alive in the car.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the HVAC?  A quick search of the forum didn't show anything.

My courtesy car (1.5TSi First Ed) has the same issue (happens every time I drive it), which I don't believe existed in car 2.0l TDI First Ed.

I can't get this car to really A/C at a given temp.

The loud clunk often happens after 30s-1min but then can randomly occurs. I found that turning off the A/C and moving the manual ventilation and then A/C on again was sometime fixing it.

Once I get my car back with the kmh/mph fix, I will be monitoring the A/C closely as I would not accept to keep a car with such issue.

I've recently put my system back to Auto (based on a comment in another thread) to try and minimise how much I need to randomly stab at the touchscreen while I'm driving, and noticed that when I turned the car on in the now hot weather I get a powerful Siberian blast for quite some time, until the car presumably cools down enough for the fans to slow down (which it did gradually, not all at once).  Also noticed the split heating - turned my side down and it sort of calmed a bit, then turned down the passenger's side and it dropped off to a murmur.

I experimented turning the desired temperature up a bit and the fans definitely calmed down a little, so if yours isn't staying on full tilt there's something amiss.  Presumably this issue persists even if you turn the temperature down to LO?

Not sure what counts as an early model - collected mine December 7th 2020 so no idea when it was built as it's a company car so I was removed from the ordering process.

22 hours ago, Coume said:

My courtesy car (1.5TSi First Ed) has the same issue (happens every time I drive it), which I don't believe existed in car 2.0l TDI First Ed.

I can't get this car to really A/C at a given temp.

The loud clunk often happens after 30s-1min but then can randomly occurs. I found that turning off the A/C and moving the manual ventilation and then A/C on again was sometime fixing it.

Once I get my car back with the kmh/mph fix, I will be monitoring the A/C closely as I would not accept to keep a car with such issue.

That sounds identical to the issues I've got except changing to manual and vice versa didn't have any effect :sadsmile:

6 hours ago, MCG1975 said:

I've recently put my system back to Auto (based on a comment in another thread) to try and minimise how much I need to randomly stab at the touchscreen while I'm driving, and noticed that when I turned the car on in the now hot weather I get a powerful Siberian blast for quite some time, until the car presumably cools down enough for the fans to slow down (which it did gradually, not all at once).  Also noticed the split heating - turned my side down and it sort of calmed a bit, then turned down the passenger's side and it dropped off to a murmur.

I experimented turning the desired temperature up a bit and the fans definitely calmed down a little, so if yours isn't staying on full tilt there's something amiss.  Presumably this issue persists even if you turn the temperature down to LO?

Not sure what counts as an early model - collected mine December 7th 2020 so no idea when it was built as it's a company car so I was removed from the ordering process.

That was how it was with my Superb and other cars I've had but this one, the fans seem to be going full tilt but nothing is coming out so it seems some valves etc are not working as they should. Can't drive it if the weather is over 24 degrees or similar so it most definitely will be getting sorted soon I hope.

I got mine first week of October and it was built in August I believe.

I agree on - AC and ventilation being 'interesting'

It is always so loud and even after 30min drive it is loud, i have to adjust fan speed manually if i want to listen to music.

Just now, janis said:

It is always so loud and even after 30min drive it is loud, i have to adjust fan speed manually if i want to listen to music.

Sounds like something is not right. :wondering:

I don't even notice the fans. I have AC on Auto all the time and temp set to 22 or 21°C (depending on how hot is outside).

Yes. it'll be interesting to see what the issue is. I normally have it set to auto all year round and I know the AC works as having a wet dog in the winter it does a good job clearing the windows quickly but this is the first time I've been aware of the noise, probably because of my frustration! :wondering:

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Sounds like something is not right. :wondering:

I don't even notice the fans. I have AC on Auto all the time and temp set to 22 or 21°C (depending on how hot is outside).

I think if I turn my heating to 21°C the fans calm down - it's only loud if I'm at or below 18°C which to be fair isn't often (until recently) unless other members of the family are in the car as they like it a lot colder! B)

It's now packing up completely, even on manual. The fans are whirring away but hardly nothing comes out, then it all shuts down and starts up again 30 seconds later!

Booked in for next week so I shan't be driving it in this weather until it's fixed if I can help it.

16 hours ago, j caff said:

Have you checked the pollen filter? Maybe something got sucked into it or the filter got wet, certainly no harm in looking.

Thanks but yeah I checked that, but no it's something more fundamental, the valves are opening and closing on their own accord.

On 14/06/2021 at 19:36, janis said:

Try to open all holes.. it become loud when you have all vent holes closed.. the same happened for me when I got the car.. Maybe this is the problem..

20 hours ago, sdolenec said:

Try to open all holes.. it become loud when you have all vent holes closed.. the same happened for me when I got the car.. Maybe this is the problem..

Good idea, i will definitely check. thanks man

• 1 year later...
On 14/06/2021 at 20:36, janis said:

Just turn up the temperature on AUTO. It will then go lower. 

I've noticed that previus Golf was good @ 22c. Octy i have to turn to 23c to make it go quiet.

Guys, remember with the AUTO setting, you only adjust temperature. Higher temperature request = lower speed.

Also you can change AUTO speed by hitting the AUTO button again. There are three choises for AUTO speed.

And note that when the vents are turned enough, they are closed :)

Edited by timster
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, timster said:

Also you can change AUTO speed by hitting the AUTO button again. There are three choises for AUTO speed.

Thanks. I never knew that. It is going to be handy. I have often overridden the auto to get a bit more air circulating.

18 hours ago, DaveFromSydney said:

Thanks. I never knew that. It is going to be handy. I have often overridden the auto to get a bit more air circulating.

Not talking about you, but many people use the AUTO against its AUTO features :) Mostly because they don't know how they work. Basically fan speed is set by temperature target. Higher the difference between real temperature and target temperature = higher the fan speed.

Also note that the temperature you set, is not the temperature it will blow. It's the temperature it tries to archieve in the car.

Also i suggest to remove the auto circulation if your windshield gets foggy. I did btw check the AC working with OBD11 real view. The car really can tell how good or bad the air is in the car.