Looking to buy a Mark 2 Fabia

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to get a MK2 Fabia for the wife as a city car, used primarily to get to and from work and to drive the baby around to kindergarten/school.

I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer me. Especially what to look for when checking out potential buys.

Regarding the vRS, a friend (that knows cars) suggested that it's best I stay away from them as to much can go wrong being a supercharged engine and even more so with the automatic dry DSG gearbox.

Another thing of note is that the primary driver for this car (the wife) is suffering from a Lumbar Disc Hernia so comfort is a must.

From what I saw most Fabia 2s do not excel in the features department. Most I've seen not evening having a MFSW which struck me as odd and leads me to the next subject of interest. The Retrofit scene.

Would it be possible to buy a less kited out Fabia and retrofit w/e I want to it later on? Things such as Climate Control, MFSW, Heated Seats, Xenon/LED headlights etc.

Thank You! :handshake:

Not really, you should look for a car with a trim spec. that matches your needs, I wouldn't worry about the sports models or large alloy wheels if you're looking for comfort. 

If you want reliable get the 1.4 16V petrol or the 1.6 TDI.

Retrofitting climate control is not a good idea financially or logically, you need to take most of the front end apart. Fabias aren't really that expensive so you might as well just buy one with the spec you want.

• Like 1

The spec your looking for is Elegance, but even then they can vary as there was a lot of cost options.

You don't say what the budget is..............but as example this has climate, sunroof (rare) MSFW, parking sensors and manual box..............not sure if you want an estate, nice car this "imo"....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224491995422?hash=item3444c4011e:g:W84AAOSw5JNgwT3D

Diesel hatch............no MSFW but cruise, parking and climate....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124712594900?hash=item1d09732dd4:g:cawAAOSwO7FglN5M

• Like 1

If you are looking for reliability I would search this forum for how many people have problems with the 1.6 tdi flashing glow plug warning light. Lots of sensor , egr, problems especially if this engine is not getting any long runs.

1.9tdi are reliable but none made after 2010.

• Like 1

Thank You for all the information, I appreciate it.

On 15/06/2021 at 00:51, UrbanPanzer said:

The spec your looking for is Elegance, but even then they can vary as there was a lot of cost options.

You don't say what the budget is..............but as example this has climate, sunroof (rare) MSFW, parking sensors and manual box..............not sure if you want an estate, nice car this "imo"....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224491995422?hash=item3444c4011e:g:W84AAOSw5JNgwT3D

Diesel hatch............no MSFW but cruise, parking and climate....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124712594900?hash=item1d09732dd4:g:cawAAOSwO7FglN5M

Elegance, gotcha. Sunroof is something I can live without as on some other cars I had it generated problems. Leaks, rust, maintenance. Are the ones on the Fabia mk2 alright? 
Estate is out of the question, the primary function being small city car. Musts for her are MFSW, Climate, Heated seats (or she'll kill me) and Fog Lights, if it would also have 4 electric windows that'd be ideal. Mileage does not scare me if the car has been properly serviced and cared for. Budget? 5000-6000e let's say.
She seems to like the Monte Carlo Red version with the black glossy trim. It does look special! don't it?.

On 15/06/2021 at 01:09, m8t said:

If you are looking for reliability I would search this forum for how many people have problems with the 1.6 tdi flashing glow plug warning light. Lots of sensor , egr, problems especially if this engine is not getting any long runs.

1.9tdi are reliable but none made after 2010.

Kinda sick of diesels and I'd rather have a petrol. The engine will not get long runs either. It will be mostly a city car. How's the 1.4 Supercharged in the vRS?

On 14/06/2021 at 22:53, WillSmithy said:

Retrofitting climate control is not a good idea financially or logically, you need to take most of the front end apart. Fabias aren't really that expensive so you might as well just buy one with the spec you want.

Roger that, Thank You.

How about retrofitting a steering wheel from an Octavia 3/4. I'm really not a fan of the old style Skoda steering wheels.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, razyel said:

Roger that, Thank You.

How about retrofitting a steering wheel from an Octavia 3/4. I'm really not a fan of the old style Skoda steering wheels.

Retrofitting a different Skoda steering wheel is easy, done it myself. I have a flat bottom steering wheel from a MK3 Fabia in my MK2.

All it takes is a screw driver to unclip the airbag and a spline socket. Here is the tutorial I used

It becomes slightly more complicated if you want to have Multi Function buttons on the wheel as it will need to be coded to work with your vehicle, shouldn't be that hard if you can get someone who knows what they are doing. Check out VCDS map to find forum members near you who can code it.

Edited by WillSmithy
  • Like 1