Air con working but not coming out of vents (anywhere)

Hi all, Mk 3.5 VRS and just outside of its 3 year warranty (typical). I haven't got any working aircon coming out of the vents. I can tell it's working as the vents themselves are freezing cold as normal, just no blast of icy chilled air.

The vents work exactly as expected when I switch the aircon off, but obviously the air is warmer, all presets work and air comes out as expected. As soon as I press the aircon button, I hear the vents turning, then it feels like they are blocked completely for some reason. It's a strange feeling but you can almost sense the air is being jammed in the dashboard (and I know how ridiculous that sounds).

I've reset the vents (a lot!) using the two button trick on the climate controls and there are no messages on the dash saying there is an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas before I have to pay the local Aberdeen prices for getting it fixed??? or the £120 the local dealers charge just to look at the car.

thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donelegance said:

As soon as I press the aircon button, I hear the vents turning, then it feels like they are blocked completely for some reason. It's a strange feeling but you can almost sense the air is being jammed in the dashboard (and I know how ridiculous that sounds).

Sounds like there may be a problem with the flap that diverts air through the aircon condenser - a fault code scan will show what the HVAC is complaining about.

My best guess would be low refrigerant and it needing a top up. Quite common if the air con hasn't been used a lot. I got mine changed for £50 at Kwik Fit and works perfectly. 

If you have vcds or obdeleven you can see what pressures are bring put out by the Compressor. That will tell you if the refrigerant is low or not. Also if there are any fault codes etc.

Thanks everyone, I think the refrigerant is okay, but that's one thing I'll keep an eye on. 

I can't believe I didn't think of the cabin filter. I took it out (in about a minute!) And it is pretty filthy...so the full service history doesn't included cabin filters I see..

There's a new one coming tomorrow, then I will feed back if it had helped. 

Thanks everyone.

Right I am not sure but I may have found a theme. Climate worked today after I pulled the cabin filter (which was filthy btw- so thanks for the tip there), I drove 20 miles to Aberdeen, everything was great then I reversed into the parking space and the flaps closed again, only blowing hot air. Switch engine off, come back after 30 minutes and its working again. It's just done the same thing again. 

So, the only thing that's new is a reversing camera that was pre-programmed from Ali Baba and fitted thanks to Sasha's excellent instructions, although it has worked brilliantly for a year or so now, I wonder if that is the culprit somehow, maybe sending a rogue signal when reverse is applied.... Trouble is, I can't unplug it without the rear handle stopping working as it's integrated 😞... The saga continues...

Your Climatronic system should set the system to recirculation mode when reversing, I'm fairly sure that is a seperate flap but perhaps it also stops air coming from the vents to prevent you breathing any exhaust fumes that might get through.

So your hypothesis about the car getting its knickers in a twist and thinking it is reversing could be a good one.

I would disconnect the reversing light switch and see if the problem goes, it may even have sticky contacts.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 16/06/2021 at 14:31, donelegance said:

Hi all, Mk 3.5 VRS and just outside of its 3 year warranty (typical). I haven't got any working aircon coming out of the vents. I can tell it's working as the vents themselves are freezing cold as normal, just no blast of icy chilled air.

The vents work exactly as expected when I switch the aircon off, but obviously the air is warmer, all presets work and air comes out as expected. As soon as I press the aircon button, I hear the vents turning, then it feels like they are blocked completely for some reason. It's a strange feeling but you can almost sense the air is being jammed in the dashboard (and I know how ridiculous that sounds).

I've reset the vents (a lot!) using the two button trick on the climate controls and there are no messages on the dash saying there is an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas before I have to pay the local Aberdeen prices for getting it fixed??? or the £120 the local dealers charge just to look at the car.

thanks

Hi mate,

i have a 2018 FL Vrs and couldn’t describe the issue I’m having any more perfectly than you have here. I got it re-gassed and had the filter changed at last service, air con works when you press max windscreen button and you get a bit of propulsion. As soon as you select front or feet it still blows as you can hear it but there’s no wind coming out of the vents.

you switch the air con off briefly and you get a big gust at the cold temp you want it, mainly due to the system ‘working’ but just blowing in the dash somewhere and not in the cabin where you want/need it. I’ve also noticed the chiller in the glove compartment has the paltry air flow experienced from the front vents when air con is switched on. After leaving it off for a few seconds it then becomes warm.  So you switch it back on only to be greeted with a trickle of air coming out of the vents again.

it’s highly frustrating. Done the reset trick a number of times as you’ve described you’ve done also doesn’t do anything to help.

I used to notice the fans changing orientation when i reversed. This is to prevent any fumes coming in as someone has said above, WIll have to have a check on OBD11 to see if there’s any faults reported.