Mk 2 road noise/ harse ride

My new to me 2010 fabia 1.9 tdi sits on 205/45-16 tyres , its the first car I have had with low profile wheels, would a change to 195/55-15 be better/much better, or just a little. the car will soon need some new tyres so would money be better spent on new 16's and if so what brand ones could be recommended in the mid price bracket for all weather driving...Im no speed muchant!!..And thanks for letting me join the forum. 

You'd be better off buying a set of 15's with 195/50/15 tyres if you're finding the 16's too crashy, you can sell the 16's easily once you've done the swap.

I found 16's too crashy on the B roads I drive on and fitted 15's, much more comfortable and the handling is even better.

Big wheels are for billiard tables and townies.

Edited by sepulchrave
  • Like 1

The tyres are hardly low profile but as it is going to 195,s and more sidewall will be a simply clever move.  That might deal with the noise a bit.  16" wheels can hardly be considered as big.     Maybe the 11 year old suspension parts have something to do with the harsh ride rather than the tyres which are the size many cars of a similar weight have fitted.   ? Is the car still using the OEM suspension parts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinfabfab said:

the car will soon need some new tyres

In which case you might get an improvement just from new same make/model tyres, and more from a different make.

• Like 2

Swings and roundabouts my friend 15 inch rims and tyres less road noise (with a softer tyre) but not so good road handling, 16 inch rims with low profile more road noise but better road handling, some models later than 2012 had 16 inch rims with 195-60-16 tyres fitted but i think if you fitted these you might have an issue with tyres rubbing on bumpy roads 

4 minutes ago, Murdockman said:

Swings and roundabouts my friend 15 inch rims and tyres less road noise (with a softer tyre) but not so good road handling, 16 inch rims with low profile more road noise but better road handling, some models later than 2012 had 16 inch rims with 195-60-16 tyres fitted but i think if you fitted these you might have an issue with tyres rubbing on bumpy roads 

So my real world experience with 15 vs 16 inch rims (I have both in stock) is trumped by your theorycrafting?

As an aside, the Polo 9N platform upon which these cars are based was designed in the 90's so it's pretty venerable now.