2nd Service Inspection Due

Hello again, I am back after a long pause (because my octavia is due its service:))

I asked for a quote from a local dealer that did the first inspection/oil with what I though was fair work for a fair price....

Now I asked for a quote (by email, as with 1st service) on the 2nd, 3 year "inspection service" with 53k Km.

So, I come to ask the opinion of the forum as the quoted work totals over 700 euro!!! :blink::sick:

I just dont see any way that is reasonable.

I can include details if anyone wished, but to start it includes things like:

spark plugs for 177.52

pollen filter for 71.90

"innensechsrundschraube"' WHT000729A

{

WHT001386 "gasket"

WHT003247 "gasket"

04E145853 Halterbugel (bracket)

} appears to be part of the turbo...

Is anyone familiar with the turbos needing servicing on the 1.5TSI?

so, thoughts and opinions welcome

I would say I am ready to take it to a local mechanic and drop skoda.  I asked already a local shop in person.  Wouldn't quote me anything but said maybe around 3-4 hundred.

Far too much for plugs and filter for a start. Quality OEM pollen filters retail at less than £15 and only take 5-10 mins to change.

Never seen a scheduled servicing requirement on the turbo-chargers - could it be possible they are extracting the urine?

• Like 1

In the meantime, I already replaced the pollen and intake filter with febi and mann equivalents.  Cheap and easy and should save a few buck wherever I go for oil.  Is there anything particularly needful or interesting contained in the "detailed Inspection"  I assume that just look for rust and things to sell you, right?

Oh, also,

I did have a look over and clean the car and did notice some peculiar oil collecting near the plugs?

what do you make of it?

2021-06-24_10-35-23.jpg

Edited by hirez

1 hour ago, hirez said:

Hello again, I am back after a long pause (because my octavia is due its service:))

I asked for a quote from a local dealer that did the first inspection/oil with what I though was fair work for a fair price....

Now I asked for a quote (by email, as with 1st service) on the 2nd, 3 year "inspection service" with 53k Km.

So, I come to ask the opinion of the forum as the quoted work totals over 700 euro!!! :blink::sick:

I just dont see any way that is reasonable.

I can include details if anyone wished, but to start it includes things like:

spark plugs for 177.52

pollen filter for 71.90

"innensechsrundschraube"' WHT000729A

{

WHT001386 "gasket"

WHT003247 "gasket"

04E145853 Halterbugel (bracket)

} appears to be part of the turbo...

Is anyone familiar with the turbos needing servicing on the 1.5TSI?

so, thoughts and opinions welcome

I would say I am ready to take it to a local mechanic and drop skoda.  I asked already a local shop in person.  Wouldn't quote me anything but said maybe around 3-4 hundred.

I would say that your local Skoda dealer is taking the Pi**.  Firstly, I have have a set of sparkplug for the TSI engines - that only cost me 50UKP (about 60euros), so I'm not entirely sure how that equates to 177.52 euros.  Pollen Filter is NOT 71.90 euros - its more like 20euros (as it takes me 2 minutes to change a pollen filter and I'm not a training VAG engineer, although I'm coming to the conclusion that I know more than some technicians these days). 

WHT000729A Hex Socket Bolt Screw Self Locking M8x20 - some hex screws.

WHT001386 is a turbo charger inlet seal

WHT003247 is a intercooler turbo seal

04E145853 is a retainer clip

This all sounds like an oil leak from a turbo, but I'm scratching my head on why you are paying for the work on the turbo (unless you car is out of warranty).  To compare prices, try heading down to your local VW dealer and ask to see the master technician and see what they quote to do the work.....your car after all is just a VW Golf in different clothing! :-)

• Like 2

As Varaderoguy says that sounds like a leaking gasket/seal on the turbo - not a scheduled service item. Is the vehicle still under any sort of warranty? They are really chancing it on the prices on the plugs and pollen filter, so probably doing the same on the oil leak.

Edited by Warrior193
Typo
  • Like 2

UK Main Dealer Fix Price Servicing on 3-10 year old cars on Fixed Service Intervals is expensive enough with the Spark Plugs at £105, the Pollen Filter @ £35, 

the Oil & Filter Service and the Extended Scope.   Loads of money for not much done, and everything over and above Oil & Filter & Sump Plug being 'Extra'. 

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 16.11.06.png

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 16.16.24.png

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 16.16.40.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

WHT000729A Hex Socket Bolt Screw Self Locking M8x20 - some hex screws.

WHT001386 is a turbo charger inlet seal

WHT003247 is a intercooler turbo seal

04E145853 is a retainer clip

This all sounds like an oil leak from a turbo, but I'm scratching my head on why you are paying for the work on the turbo (unless you car is out of warranty).  To compare prices, try heading down to your local VW dealer and ask to see the master technician and see what they quote to do the work.....your car after all is just a VW Golf in different clothing! :-)

But how would they know that without seeing the car???  I just emailed the VW workshop and asked for a quote.

I believe I recall seeing this during the first service interval.  I have cleaned this oil off at some point so see if it returned.  I seem to have forgotten to check:)  In any case this is not near the turbo???

Edited by hirez

23 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Easy answer again; they wouldn't.

That was a rhetorical question :)

I am just trying to fathom how this would mean friendly and fair service; and I can get there, any help? :D

I could ask, in email, why they wish to service my turbo (if that is what is is).

or ask at another dealer and see what happens.... the game is on! :D

Here in DE you get standard 2 year warrenty.  There maybe some components with 3 year, i have to do some research.

*conspiracy theory one; they saw the problem in first service noted it and decided to postpone the work until out of warranty......

The car does use oil. I have asked at some point on the forum, as well as skoda/VW. I was assured it was normal for the 1.5 w/ 0w20.....

On 25/06/2021 at 19:48, hirez said:

That was a rhetorical question :)

I am just trying to fathom how this would mean friendly and fair service; and I can get there, any help? :D

I could ask, in email, why they wish to service my turbo (if that is what is is).

or ask at another dealer and see what happens.... the game is on! :D

Here in DE you get standard 2 year warrenty.  There maybe some components with 3 year, i have to do some research.

*conspiracy theory one; they saw the problem in first service noted it and decided to postpone the work until out of warranty......

The car does use oil. I have asked at some point on the forum, as well as skoda/VW. I was assured it was normal for the 1.5 w/ 0w20.....

* A distinct possibility - personnally I'd be looking for someone else for my servicing.

I got a response back from the skoda workshop.  The extra cost all have to do with changing spark plugs.  "since your car has more than 5x,xxx Km skoda says they have to be changed.  the other parts are necessary during the exchange"