ABS/TCS warning lights on

DensYeti

2010 1.2 Tsi S petrol 60,156 miles from new 26/12/2010

ABS and TCS warning lights came on intermittently at first, stayed on for a while then went off.  Came back on again some time later then off.  This happened over a few days. Then both came on permanently and have stayed on.  Local garage that does my service pluged in and said rear nearside sensor showing up with fault (therefore TCS will also show).  No urgent problem just be aware no ABS.  I am used to driving without ABS all my driving life with vintage, PVT and classic cars so not bothered.

1. Is the rear sensor a magnetic or light sensitive device?  

2.  I live in rural area and up a farm track so it can get rather mucky underneath so would that cause malfunction?

3. What does sensor look like and where is it located and is it easily changed?

4.  Any other possible cause such as a loose plug/dirty contacts and where likely?

5. Are sensors known to be not too robust?

I have a pit so can get under easily......maybe just a good clean up around sensor?

Awaiting optimistically

Dennis

Do a youtube search either on a mk5 golf or yeti there is one on there ,it shows how to do it, location etc you will probably have to take the disc off for better access, I got away with with cleaning it all(but i changed the discs at the same time),  --  its magnetic.

• 5 months later...

Thanks to all for info and advice. I now know what is involved and could probably do it myself.  But am fully committed to getting my Austin 7 Nippy special rebuild finished for the Austin 7 Centenary celebrations in July 2022 so no work time to do anything else.  Yeti will have to wait till I can take to local garage to do the job.

340740C1-0FFF-40A6-B6A1-03F2203DEF37.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 24/06/2021 at 19:13, DensYeti said:

No urgent problem just be aware no ABS.  I am used to driving without ABS all my driving life with vintage, PVT and classic cars so not bothered.

Let's hope not famous last words.

Could also be low battery voltage.

My 2ltr diesel Yeti had exactly the same symptoms - other experienced Skoda owners on here pointed me towards a failing battery 😞

You seem to be lucky it's kept going!

I had the same problem a few months ago with the N/S rear ABS sensor whilst on holiday and thought ah, I'll ignore it until I can get it fixed.

After a couple of days the car suddenly went into limp mode and then followed quite an expensive saga🥲

This part was replaced and been fine ever since, suppose I was just unlucky?

• 1 month later...

Does the Yeti 1.2 TSI have a replaceable sensor ring?

I am looking at getting ready for fixing my ABS fault (left rear nearside) and apart from the sensor am a bit confused as to whether the sensor ring is replaceable on the hub or whether it will be the complete hub that has a built in ring.  Have seen adverts for APARENTLY sensor rings for Yeti AIC at £8.38  to Tristan £17.77 and even higher for others but there seems to be a variation in quoted sizes for diameter though consensus seems to be 86 tooth.

Have been looking at "online car parts.co.uk" .  Most confusing.