My Scala configuration, comments please

r0b3rt

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a Skoda Scala with the following configuration:

Skoda Scala SE L 1.0 TSI 110PS (manual) with standard 17" alloys
  options:
    black magic pearl effect paint (b*tards discontinued the maple brown metallic),
    full led headlights,
    tailgate design pack,
    front parking sensors,
    driver knee airbag,
    black leather/microsuede pack (includes heated front seats),
    latice grey decorative insert with chrome hot stamping (includes white ambient lighting),
    two spoke leather heated steering wheel,
    heated front windscreen  and
    variable boot floor

I can purchase the above for a wee smidge over £19k,000 OTR - no way I'd pay anything like the list OTR price which is near £25,500!!

I have four matters I'd appreciate your comment on:

First off even with the discount is that too much money to throw at a Scala? I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything else for similar money that meets my needs of economy, space (whilst not being Octavia sized) and comfort also I do keep my cars for some time so I'd anticipate I'd be keeping the Scala for at least nine years so the depreciation factor is maybe a bit less of a factor/concern for me (hopefully by the time I get rid an electric car will be a truly viable, affordable proposition for someone like myself).

Secondly should I bother with the LED headlights option (would reduce the price by about £750), is their light output / clarity that much better? after all they're only adding LEDs for the main beam I believe (although I do use full beam a lot for the sort of driving I do).

Thirdly are the front parking sensors really worth adding? (I've looked into fitting them in the future, if needed, but the cost would be a little more than just having them factory fitted).

Lastly regarding delivery I can have the car driven or trailer delivered for an extra £360, is it worth the extra money for a (300 mile) trailer delivery? Given how I've seen some cars on trade plates get driven though I think I've already decided this one!

Oh yes I suppose are there any options you think I've missed off but shouldn't have - I know, I know this is very much personal preference but I'm thinking more of something you weren't sure about bothering with but now couldn't do without.

(I'm also very interested in the real MPG but have posted that as a separate question in this thread here, please chip in if you're able.)

Many thanks,

Robert

Well, I wouldn't bother with the front parking sensors or the lattice grey rhubarb rhubarb. I did wonder about the kneebag, but I suspect it's something you'll be glad to have if you actually use it once.

The latice grey decorative insert with chrome hot stamping (which includes the white ambient lighting) has to be specified when specifying the black leather/microsuede pack you have no choice in that (should've probably added that) but both the decorative insert and lighting are free of charge. The front parking sensors are my only major query / leaning towards dropping. Yes I though that about the kneebag, generally I'm a bit annoyed about some of the safety features that are options and not standard fit in the Scala well actually some aren't standard fit in a few VWs either but I suppose it's cost saving (or some might say fleecing you on the options).

The LED lights are considerably better than standard, so a worthwhile addition, especially if you do a lot of night driving on poorly lit roads.  If I was to pick anything on the list to drop,  it would be the variable floor (unless you do lots of load carries), Lattice insert and front sensors ( I can see the front of the car...)

I got the decorative door sill covers, rubber mats all round (including reversible boot mat) and cargo netting for free from the dealer at purchase so surely your dealers there can do free accessories as least as part of the deal too

Nice spec!

The ambient lighting is a nice feature to have - shines a subtle light along the dash and door handle recesses etc.

Personally, I'm not a fan of heated windscreens only because you can always see the tiny elements in the screen all the time which I find distracting. Not doubting the functionality, just personal preference. 

I have all-round sensor and a rear camera on my other car but my Scala just has the standard rear sensors. To be honest, you don't really need front sensor as forward vsibility is very good. However, I would prefer to spend the cash on the rear camera (which I have seen has very good definition).

Full LED Headlights - I have the standard 'basic' LED headlights which are surprising good, but the full LED is a big improvement, particularly if you drive on a lot of unlit country roads.

I seem to recall there is a package which includes the full LED headlights and the glass roof (which also includes the glass tailgate). Might be worth considering. The glass tailgate is a must from a visual perspective as the Scala looks a bit incomplete without. (Not sure why it is not standard)

Thanks, will be my first totally brand new car so with the discount I was getting I thought I'd spend a little more.

The reason I spec'd the heated windscreen is that I noticed a few people complaining that their Scala's were misting up quite badly (think a couple of people implied that the heated screen was almost mandatory).  Never had a heated windscreen before, some say you don't notice whilst others are the polar opposite and find it distracting.

I have come to that conclusion and dropped the front sensors.  Will add the rear camera myself later as I have found kits for about half the factory option price (about a tenth on aliexpress if you like the element of risk).

I didn't go for that package, which you're right is the best value, as the glass roof just doesn't really do anything for me personally. Would totally agree about the glass tailgate but it must save Skoda some £££s per car otherwise I don't get it not being standard.

Its interesting to see the different markets - here in New Zealand the glass tailgate, sports seats and sports steering wheel, rear sensors and reversing camera are all standard, on a 1.5 TSI DSG  for what exchanges to be list £18000 (or £20000 if full LED and climate control added). Standard 5 Year warranty and 3 year servicing too. Although we never pay list price and always get discount.

Australia does the fully spec'd version with everything in it for about £20000

The deals down under seem quite good relative to UK

Wouldn't mind the 5 year warranty being a 'standard' here in the UK, the 3 years that is still offered by a lot of manufacturers is frankly laughable.

Think as with so much in life they charge as much as they think the market won't baulk at!

I read somewhere that Skoda are introducing a new maintenance package for vehicles 3-6 years old in the UK where you can get a 2 years servicing, 2 years MOT, 2 years Roadside Assistance and 2 Years Warranty for about £32 per month.  Doesn't seem like such bad value all things considered. Think this is a new scheme across the mainstream VAG brands.

I have as extra’s :-

Extended 5-year warranty as my Scala SEL DSG is a keeper

Front and rear parking sensors, essential the wife drives 50% of time only 4”11 tall

Rear view reversing camera great if not in hurry as it can take up to 30 seconds from car start up to come on

Electric adjustable drivers seat again essential as wife has weak hands

Built in Satnav a waste of money Google or Waze far better and free

Adaptive cruse control, we do a lot of motorway driving, the best feature on the extra’s list

Heated front windscreen, cannot live without in the winter car kept outside

USB socket at the top of windscreen for forward security camera (put in privately)

12v socket in boot (put in privately cheated by Skoda as on the list as standard when car was first ordered)

One extra I would like old fashioned heater controls

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We opted for the heated windscreen. With having a little one on the way our thoughts are that any time saved on a morning will be a big help so pressing the button to quickly de-mist or remove frost will be a bonus. We were initially thinking about the boot floor but also dropped this from the order as the boot capacity is so large, we didn't see the need to have the ability to semi-reduce the space. Having had leather seats in my previous Golf, I've always chose to not get these again. This is purely personal but in the winter they're great, always comfy and easily warm with the heated seat option, however, in the summer they can get particularly hot and are hard to cool down.

Other than these, your order sounds cool. The LED front lights look amazing and will really suit the black paint colour!