Skoda "All-in-one" Package

GladysFriday

Like lots of others here I expect, I've been emailed by Skoda with details of their "all-in-one" package. I'm cynical enough to realise that companies come up with these schemes for their benefit not ours but on doing a few calculations it seems it might be worthwhile.

I'm obviously missing something!

A 2 year extended warranty with a £100 excess on my car is quoted on their site as £312 per year so that comes to £624. 2 MOT's at my local place is £76. Using Skoda's service info, 2 services would be £245 and £370. You also get breakdown cover but I already have that so haven't counted it in as it's free with my bank account.

All that comes to £1315 and the cost is £32 per month over 2 years which is £768. That's a massive saving and so the adage "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" comes to mind. I know that the warranty has lots of get-out clauses but even if you take that out of the equation the value reduces to £691 so effectively the warranty is only costing £768 - £691 = £77.

What's the catch that I'm missing?

Hi can you provide a link to what you have seen?

I have just googled and can only find the 2 year service plans for me at £14 a month for 2 years.

I can't find anything including warranty which is a separate item?

12 minutes ago, MJ1 said:

Hi can you provide a link to what you have seen?

I have just googled and can only find the 2 year service plans for me at £14 a month for 2 years.

I can't find anything including warranty which is a separate item?

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/all-in-service-plan

• Love it! 1

OK not sure why Google fuu failed but that link helps..

My Karoq is just hitting 3 years and was wondering about getting a warranty as I messed up not buying while car was at factory... (Nervous about all the gadgets my old 2011 Octi never had to go wrong...)

It does indeed seem like a reasonable deal, if what they say is true, I might book in for a check to see what occurs...

As a point of reference I use Halfords as a price check (yep I know some folk might not like Halfords but trying to find any decent garage is a bloody nightmare and they are few and far between...)

Anyway Halfords, I got a Free MOT by buying some fluid washer liquid on one of their yearly specials, so MOT  cost a £5 but outside those deals £45 for MOT is fair.

Basic Oil Change Service at Halfords £125 (Incs Fuel Filter and checks) vs £245 at Skoda

Major Service at Halfords £264 (Incs Pollen and Air Filter plus Brake fluid) vs £334 for same work

BTW Brake Fluid needs changing at 3 years (then every 2) for Skoda they have that listed at £65 and this is not showing on what they include. So You need to add that cost into your calcs?

So if you used the Halfords price you would spend £389

So £768 (plus Brakes) means £833 minus Halfords £389 means you are paying around £444 for Roadside assistance and Warranty for two years, if you can't get a free MOT, but even with the MOT's of £90 taken off that is £345 which does not seem too bad if the warranty is any good?

I am going to spend some time checking warranty options to see if I can find any obvious holes....

The upside ffor them is that they tie you in for 2 years and can upsell on any other items.

The upside for us is that inflation is about to take off and maybe worth protecting the service costs for 2 years....

OK so just trying to get a price for extended warranty from Skoda I can't access as I still under cover, my 3 years is up in August,  but the headline price is FROM £128, so even at that low price £256 for 2 years, which means that you are paying nearly £100 for the roadside assistance.

https://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty/

OK so I tried to phone Skoda and got told they won't issue a quote for Warranty unless it is 30 days before end of current warranty - If the Bleeping Web site had told me that I would not have wasted my time on the phone!!!

All the web site said was I was still under cover...

Simply not Clever!!!

So will wait until next week when I should hit the 30 day period...

:angry:

Edited by MJ1
Update on Info after calling Skoda UK

The Toyota RELAX , scheme which seems to be, One year warranty  same as normal manufacturers warranty each time you have the car serviced at a Toyota dealer, and they add that servicing costs will not go up!!

Seems simple and very good and will go on until the car is 10 years old.

If only Skoda were to offer the same.

I've not been bothering to investigate the new scheme as I bought a 5 year factory warranty with my car. But I've also noticed dealers offering a year's free free breakdown recovery when you get your car serviced with them.  

On the face of it, looks a reasonable deal.

Like the Op tend to be cynical, and my thought is there are a lot of people who cannot get new car currently (not available due to lack of semiconductors etc), so Skoda are promoting a keep your car and we will look after it scheme.

As most people will tend to time their trade ins about 8-11 months after service, (why dispose of it just after spending money getting it serviced), then probably committing anyone taking it up to keep car 2.5 years.  (I assume it’s not transferable, not refundable, but haven’t read small print)

Keeps the workshops busy, rather than people jumping ship to independent garages for service.   Good chance to up sell other parts potentially needing replacement outside the plan.

Re: the Skoda Extended Warranty link above.

Can’t get a price as I’ve still got some months to run on the original warranty- however, reading through the sample document there’s a lot of wriggle room for Skoda and plenty of ‘gotcha’ clauses that would leave the owner (potentially) holding the baby with expensive dealer exploratory costs.

Add to that the £250 excess on all claims along with the full price Skoda Dealer servicing costs and I think it all seems too much for what it offers?

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

Re: the Skoda Extended Warranty link above.

Can’t get a price as I’ve still got some months to run on the original warranty- however, reading through the sample document there’s a lot of wriggle room for Skoda and plenty of ‘gotcha’ clauses that would leave the owner (potentially) holding the baby with expensive dealer exploratory costs.

Add to that the £250 excess on all claims along with the full price Skoda Dealer servicing costs and I think it all seems too much for what it offers?

Didn’t notice the £250 excess to be honest! Where did you find that? In the small print I expect!

48 minutes ago, GladysFriday said:

Didn’t notice the £250 excess to be honest! Where did you find that? In the small print I expect!

Reading the booklet again it seems you can pay extra to remove the £250 excess, but they won't quote any prices without a firm enquiry............ so I assume it's not cheap.

Might be worth comparing to a 3rd party extended warranty.  I used Warrantydirect for my old Tiguan for years 4-7 and it was a good price and quite good cover too.  I made a claim for a new propshaft and they paid out £1200 with no fuss when I found propshaft oil drips on the floor.

• Thanks 1

OK the Computer has finally said YES to me being able to get a quote just for extended warranty...

Just FYI 33,000 miles on clock and on basis of 10,000 miles per year prices for comprehensive (all parts covered)

£0 excess = £208.12

£100 excess = £182.88

£250 excess = £151.87

Less than 15,000 miles per year (how long wil Covid last?)

£0 excess = £214.75

£100 excess = £188.20

£250 excess = £155.56

So just buying Skoda £250 excess for 2 years would cost around £300

Just filled in details for Warranty Direct and fell off my seat...

£0 excess = £367.20

£100 excess = £273.60

£150 excess = £242.40

This gives you.

Your Warranty will include:

This might be better cover than Skoda? Need to try and compare, but that will take time, might try local library and see if Which recommends any warranty folk?

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/extended-car-warranty-guide-2021/n1125

This link was actually very useful

Edited by MJ1
Added Link to a 2021 article on warranty

I am guessing that it is not like-for-like. One probably has 200 exclusions and "get-out's" and the other probably has 160. Its whether those 40 are worth the extra.  It will probably take an expert in rocket science many many hours to properly compare them in minute detail.   ps. I wasn't endorsing WD :-)       When I had my old WD warranty there were Bronze, Silver, Gold & Platinum options with another 4 options because you could choose indy or main dealer cover (from memory).  Looks like they have reworked their packages into just one now    :-(

Edited by smipx
changed my mind

3 minutes ago, smipx said:

After reading I would like to withdraw my experiences with WD as they are no longer WD but someone just purchased the rights to the name and the products and services bear no relationship to the WD of old. Sorry for wasting your time on that    :-)

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

Final Comparison for anyone who wants to know...

Just plugged in Car to the RAC Warranty as recommened in the article...

£60 Labour rate

RAC Premium Plus

1 year £285

2 Years £520 - I.e. £260 per year to have done by local repair shop

RAC Premium 

1 year £279

2 Years £348

£100 Labou rate

RAC Premium Plus

1 year £357

2 Years £652 i.e. £326 per year to have done by a dealership

RAC Premium

1 year £508

2 Years £636

RAC Standard 

1 year £337

2 Years £608

For me (with DSG DQ200) I would be wanting a warranty that covers the gearbox most comprehensively. To me that is the biggest ticket item as risk.  Not sure if any do. Also.  If the mechatronic packs in and destroys the Gears then most warraties don't cover the damage to the gears, only the mechatronic that failed in teh first place (according to my new mate "Honest John").  That's how I am reading it at any rate. 

What a minefield !

6 minutes ago, smipx said:

After reading I would like to withdraw my experiences with WD as they are no longer WD but someone just purchased the rights to the name and the products and services bear no relationship to the WD of old. Sorry for wasting your time on that    :-)

No problem, the Which article says that you are better to save the money and puty it towards any repair cost. This has always been my mantra for any warranty and I usally just laugh when asked to buy an extended warranty.... But all the new electronics and ACC and super dopper bells and whistles make me nervous of the cost to repair when they fail...

£345 for 2 years manufacturers warranty might make sense for folks.

I am super ****ed off at dealer network as I have been trying to get a service sorted and access to a credit given to me by Skoda at the beginning of the cars life and I am losing trust in the whole Skoda network, so the thought of 2 more years trying toi deal with them does not leave me with joy...

:o

A new DSG mechatronic will be in the £1000's. If it packs in and takes the gears with it then even more £1000's I expect. The DQ200 does have a little bit of a reputation of doing just that (maybe I'm being too cynical though)..  I will, for one, be getting an extra warranty when my time comes (or selling the car at 3 years before all the problems start)...

If there is a policy that coverys assocated damage (consequential loss) then I would be happy to pay double for it. 

cheers,

Paul

Edited by smipx
reworded

I had a similar (but unrelated issue) with my 10YO Mercedes C Class back in the day where oil had leaked form the old style Auto box and by the magic of surface tension had travelled uphill into the ECU of the gearbox.  I had a local garage (indy) clean it out with alcohol and promply traded it in while it was still running as the repair would have been £3000+ and the car was worth about the same :-(    It was 10 years old mind.  But.....  It ws mainained meticulously and all to MB specs for the whole 10 years.

I guess if you want a car that will last years and years you'd better buy a pre 1970's car where everyting can be fixed.  These modern cars seem to be so complex that they are essentially disposable if anything major happens.   It's not like they are even cheap right! for some of us £25K for a car is a lot of money.  To have a £4K bill after 4 years for a gearbox and mechatronic failure is a bit of a bitter pill (if you are one of the unlucky ones).  I guess the only saving grace is that 95% of owners are the lucky ones (or what ever the percentage is).  I feel for the unlucky 5%.  Just like the unlucky 200 people per day who will soon be leaving this mortal coil due to Boris' excellent plans I suppose .....    JOKE - Don't rise to it :-)

Edited by smipx
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, smipx said:

For me (with DSG DQ200) I would be wanting a warranty that covers the gearbox most comprehensively. To me that is the biggest ticket item as risk.  Not sure if any do. Also.  If the mechatronic packs in and destroys the Gears then most warraties don't cover the damage to the gears, only the mechatronic that failed in teh first place (according to my new mate "Honest John").  That's how I am reading it at any rate. 

What a minefield !

That's a worry too as I have always had manual gears before this Karoq.. I am going to try and find out what it would cost for a DSQ repair in that situation...

House insurance always makes sense as I can never afford to rebuild my house I am not that rich, but I maybe could afford to pay for a new gear box? I will see if I can find a site showing common vehicle repairs to help try and assess risk and costs... BTW thxs for your posts...

As I was typing you made further posts... Dohhh

Edited by MJ1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok an update I have had my car checked by Skoda today and it is has been accepted for this scheme. Just FYI it takes about 2 hours to get it checked, they do a full inspection, road test and run diagnostics.

You can cancel in 14 days and after that if you need to end the policy you can but any money taken is lost and at the moment you cancel you lose all benefits.

You can also transfer the scheme if you sell the car to a new owner but you have to fully pay up the policy and then provide them the new owners details. The policy cannot be transferred to another vehicle. 

I have scoured the text and can see no excess on the warranty claims so there does not appear to be any excess to pay if you make a warranty claim. That makes the warranty around £400 of value.

So might be worth it for some folk?