Indicator (and other) Issues after Locking

It’s been a year since I bought some LEDs to go in the boot. I think I bought them via  link someone else posted here.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago. Came out to my car to see the indicators all on and flashing (normal looking frequency). First thought was break-in and alarm was dead or had stopped. Car was locked but glovebox was open but I remembered that I likely left it open by accident. Anyway, relocking the car and all looked well. I guessed maybe it was a warning indicator that the glovebox was open (and I didn’t see it when I previously locked the car)

Last week same thing happened, but this time I noticed it when locking up. The indicators did their 2 blips, but then carried on flashing.  Repeated the unlock/lock and the same thing happened again, and again...

Had car booked into dealer (still had 2 weeks left on my warranty!), but when they said it was a week to the next slot, and I said I could leave it unlocked, or lock it and have the battery drain that they told me to call Skoda assist at least to get a diagnosis or even fix it.

AA guy spent 2 hours on my car. We played around with fuses, interior sensors, battery (all things I had seen mentioned with this kind of fault, though not so much with VAG cars).  Managed all kinds of different things. The mirrors didn’t always close, the alarm went off after a few seconds of being locked, saw the maxidot show the boot was open when it wasn’t, saw the boot indicator flashing between open and closed at high frequency. Really weird stuff.

Last thing we did after checking boot latches was to swap the LEDs in the boot back to the originals.  After this, it seems that all is OK again (and nothing odd in the week since)

I’m really hoping this is the cause of the issue (and I can see how it could be related seeing as the locking system is tied into so many other functions). Just wanted to post something here just in case anyone else has a similar problem and this may or may not help.  I'll be signing up to another year warranty just in case...

• Like 1

Hi , I had all sorts of strange issues after I changed just the light units in the boot to eBay and AliExpress multi led type replacement units ( I had two sets)..Curiously my son in law had no such issues with units he fitted bought   from Superskoda  and when  I borrowed them and fitted them  in my car  the issues I had went away . However being from Yorkshire and tight with money I persevered and replaced  all the other incandescent bulbs within the interior of  the car with led ones ( glovebox and overhead lights) , my car hasn't got ambient lighting or footwell lights. Once all the lights were replaced with  leds all the open glovebox warnings  on the mfd and alarm sounding issues and odd  interior light dimming glitches  went away. 2 years on and no problems. My car is a 2018 SEL Estate. I can only assume that the BCM or whatever clever system monitors the interior lighting didn't like the mixture of led and incandescent lamps?

Edited by GUM213K
Typo

On 02/07/2021 at 21:40, GUM213K said:

Hi , I had all sorts of strange issues after I changed just the light units in the boot to eBay and AliExpress multi led type replacement units ( I had two sets)..Curiously my son in law had no such issues with units he fitted bought   from Superskoda

The Kopacek / Superskoda units are far far better than the Chinese nonsense that you get.  Stick to the Kopacek parts and you will hopefully resolve your issues.  It will be a problem with that is associated with odd impedances introduced by the cheap equipment on the CANBUS network and this will be causing random stuff to happen.

I agree absolutely that many lighting  items from Kopacek are well engineered  but unfortunately due to the UK leaving the EU , ( I have my own reasons for doubting the practicality of that decision) it seems that buying items from Kopacek is now not so easy. I will miss that opportunity if I  keep my Octavia until it needs more accessories . However for now my interior lighting issues are resolved. Thanks for your advice.

27 minutes ago, GUM213K said:

I agree absolutely that many lighting  items from Kopacek are well engineered  but unfortunately due to the UK leaving the EU , ( I have my own reasons for doubting the practicality of that decision) it seems that buying items from Kopacek is now not so easy. 

Small items (like interior bulbs) that can be sent by Royal Mail are fine from Kopacek, it's only large or heavy items that have to be sent by courier that are a problem post-Brexit.

Thanks , I'll look at that possibility in the future. My issue is that the excellent genuine Skoda rubber footmats I bought ( along with other large items) from Superskoda, now Kopacek are now starting to wear ( at least the driver's one is) . They were superb value from Superskoda. 

I'm considering keeping the Octavia for another two years now and may take up the new "All in from Skoda". It goes in for an Eligibility check tomorrow.

I've got to say the Octavia is the best new car  I've owned after I had to start buying them for myself! I just wish I'd bought a petrol VRS Estate!

11 hours ago, GUM213K said:

it seems that buying items from Kopacek is now not so easy

I disagree - there are rules though.  Items must be small - less than 2kgs and under a value of 130UKP.  If you stick to those rules, stuff arrives in 10 days.  I had a delivery yesterday.

I had exactly the same issue with leds in the boot. Worked absolutely fine for 6 months then it all went pear shaped, and these were Superskoda ones. Took them out and all back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1