Any other Metal Maniacs here?

HeavyMetalRich

Inspired by a comment from @nutters_uclan and after a search to make sure there wasn't already a thread of this type which turned up nothing, this thread is for any other Metal heads that may be lurking in the shadows.

So what's your story? What bands do you like best? What bands have you seen? What bands, albums, songs do you recommend?

I took inspiration from my Dad listening to the likes of Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Saxon and Judas Priest (who are my all time favourite band) and expanded from there through Metallica and Megadeth, leading to a fair love of thrash until I went to Uni and expanded with some bands from the more extreme genres. So my tastes are quite wide ranging. 

I find I go through phases of going back to a certain band and listening through their entire discography and not much else for months, usually before they release a new album. The most recent band this happened with was Dvne but as they only have two amazing albums and a few EPs this didn't last long. Before that was Judas Priest and before them was Sepultura.

Being from a remote island, I haven't been to many concerts unfortunately and I'm usually quite picky about which ones I do go to.

I have been to:

Ministry - C.U.Latour Bristol 2007

Exodus and Overkill - London 2008

Testament, Megadeth and Judas Priest - London 2008 (The next day)

Annihilator - Bristol 2010

Metallica - Glasgow 2017

Voivod - Glasgow 2018

Recommendations: Dvne, Coroner, New Evile album and a local band named Yun who have just released their first album called Wan.

Go! \m/

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

I grew up listening to my Dad's music (Status Quo, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd etc) so that got me into rock music when I was a teenager. I didn't really progress into metal until later on, mostly whilst at University and going to Rock clubs (Rock City being the main one). 

The big opener (for lack of a better word) was going to festivals like Sonisphere and Download. Through those, I got into Airbourne, Clutch, Shinedown, Iron Maiden, Rammstein and others but also got to see Metallica, Korn, Slipknot, SOAD et al. 

As for seeing bands live, it'd be easier to just list the fesitvals:

2010 - Sonisphere

2011 - Download

2013 - Download

2015 - Download & Leeds (Metallica, Beartooth and a few others at Leeds)

2016 - Download

2018 - Download

• Like 3

Don't mind Floyd, LedZep, Rush (bit more prog rock but gets lumped into the genre) from time to time - saw Floyd and Rush last century.

More into the old goth stuff really. 

Prefer my metal a little less rusty...

Architects, Of Mice & Men, Bury Tomorrow.... 

Which would maybe still go under the metalcore genre, unless some scene kid has dreamt up another label now...

• Like 2

Love some classic Floyd, GnR, Metallica etc (The usual subjects).

Also love some 90s Green day, Linkin Park etc.

But I really do connect with FFDP (Five Finger Death Punch) especially 'wrong side of heaven' and 'Little bit off'. They really strike a chord with my military experiences and PTSD.

• Like 1

Good to see some metalheadz on here :)

Going to gigs was my life for many years, so it feels like there are very few bands I haven't seen!

I have actually followed several on tour, too, including Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Slipknot, In Flames, Sepultura. Most of these were for their UK tours, but 3 friends and I trekked across Europe for a month in 2004 following Metallica around...a wonderful experience. I also took my eldest daughter to see Maiden 4/5 years ago, which was special to me; her first gig and my 29th Maiden show!

Among the best shows I've seen;

• Guns N Roses, Leeds Festival, 2002. Was just Axl and hired goons then, but the show was absolutely incredible. I've seen them 4/5 times since and their gig at the Olympic Stadium a few years back was also amazing.
  • Meshuggah. Manchester, 2017 (I think). Possibly the greatest live performance I've ever witnessed. The intensity!
  • Megadeth, Graspop Festival, 2008 (I think). They rarely disappoint. What a band.
  • Metallica, Download Festical, 2003 secret show. A rumour spread like wildfire that Metallica were going to do a secret set on the 3rd stage - and they did! My first time seeing the band and, according to my GF at the time, it was like I was possessed.
  • At the Gates, Graspop Festival, 2008 (I think). I never thought I'd get to see them, never mind on this form.
  • Pantera, Ozzfest 1998. My one and only Pantera show...sobs.

I could go on, for days, until my post was so long no one would read it :D

Edited by nutters_uclan
  • Love it! 1

I've been a lifelong metal fan since I first heard 'No Sleep To Hammersmith' back in around 1982 when I was 10. Motorhead just blew me away, and I would say that is where my metal journey started. Seen them live 3 times, outstanding. I've every Motorhead album and a few t-shirts. I've only the one tattoo, I bet you can guess what it is!! :)

Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth etc etc. Love it all really. FFDP and In Flames if we are getting a bit more modern. Like Gojira too, very avant-garde!

Big fan of older stuff too. Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath..... oh my the list goes on. ZZ Top one of my all time favourite bands too.

Mind, my musical tastes are really wide. I listen to quite a bit of world music, like a lot of classical music too. Johnny Cash, brilliant. Die hard Neil Young fan too.

In the early 90' I discovered techno. That has never left me either. I find the energy of techno actualy really similar to the energy of heavy metal. Music with attitude. Amelie Lens, Matrixxman, SPFDJ, I Hate Models etc.

As @nutters_uclan says, I could go on for days...... B)

Edited by Westbury63
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1