Wheel nuts?

aerik

I am going to fit some Rial Milano rims on the citigo. 

I am not sure, but i dont think i can use the nuts from the steel wheel? So how would i find out what nuts to use?

You will need Alloy wheel nuts for an alloy wheel, Skoda should sell them and are definitely worth the expense.

If you use the steel wheel nuts, it will more than likely corrode your alloys. Also worth putting a slather of copper slip on the mating face between the wheel and the hub to stop the same issue. 

The corrosion is caused by air and water creating a chemical reaction in the alloy, the clear coat on the alloy should protect it, but steel wheel nuts can scratch or damage this mating face which is where the corrosion can happen.

Also ensure that you don't over torque the nuts, stick to the torque settings and don't use a windy/battery gun

Edited by Pagan-Image
  • Like 1

^ Whaaaaat?

Firstly they are bolts, not nuts.

Secondly, the same steel bolts are used on all standard Citigo wheels whether those wheels are steel or aluminium.

Thirdly, you need to know whether these Rial Milano rims have taper seats or radius seats like the standard wheels. If the former, you will indeed need matching bolts with a taper rather than radius, but they will not be made of aluminium.

wheels, brakes Citigo (CIT) [EUROPA 2016 year] (7zap.com)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

^ Whaaaaat?

Firstly they are bolts, not nuts.

Secondly, the same steel bolts are used on all standard Citigo wheels whether those wheels are steel or aluminium.

Thirdly, you need to know whether these Rial Milano rims have taper seats or radius seats like the standard wheels. If the former, you will indeed need matching bolts with a taper rather than radius, but they will not be made of aluminium.

wheels, brakes Citigo (CIT) [EUROPA 2016 year] (7zap.com)

Apologies, I meant bolts, old habit from MG/Rover days,

And to clarify I meant Bolts for alloy wheels, not Alloy Bolts :) which as you describe have a different seat :) 

Edited by Pagan-Image

11 minutes ago, Pagan-Image said:

to clarify I meant Bolts for alloy wheels

Which are the same bolts as for steel wheels if the alloy wheels are standard factory ones. So Skoda are unlikely to sell bolts that suit aftermarket wheels with different seating. As far as I know.

• Like 2

Sorry, can't see well enough in those images.  Does the surface that the bolts will seat onto look rounded or conical/flat?

Got a link to where you bought them from, or manufacturer/distributor webpage?

13 minutes ago, Wino said:

Sorry, can't see well enough in those images.  Does the surface that the bolts will seat onto look rounded or conical/flat?

Got a link to where you bought them from, or manufacturer/distributor webpage?

I hot then second hand from an old man.

They look like a cone

D5BFC9C3-3882-4831-80D9-AE00068B9F0D.jpeg

Edited by aerik

1 minute ago, Wino said:

You'll need some taper/conical seat bolts with the same thread size as the factory bolts then.  M12X1,5X26

Are you sure those would be long enough.

If i take the bolt from the steel they will go about 15 mm out on the back.

Should'nt that be 18mm?

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Dunno, how far do they come through the steel wheels? 18mm? Bear in mind that  when you have the right seat on the bolt it will go further in.

Oh you are right. Thank you very much 💪

So the local wheel dealer helped me.getting the right bolts.

But now i have a New question. 

The tyres Are 185/60r15. How do i calculate the right tyrepressure?

7 minutes ago, aerik said:

The tyres are 185/60R15.

How do I calculate the right tyre pressure?

185/55R15 is a standard Citigo tyre size, not 185/60R15.

If you have fitted oversize 185/60R15 tyres then you can use 185/55R15 tyre pressures or up to 0.2 Bar (3 psi) lower as the load index of 185/55R15 is 82 (475kg) and the load index of 185/60R15 tyres is 84 (500kg).

If you don't have any rear passenger and heavy luggage, then maybe try 2 Bar (29 psi) front and 1.8 Bar (26psi) rear, although it's best to check the official Skoda recommendations.

Edited by Carlston

3 minutes ago, Carlston said:

185/55R15 is a standard Citigo tyre size, not 185/60R15.

If you have fitted oversize 185/60R15 tyres then you can use 185/55R15 tyre pressures or up to 0.2 Bar (3 psi) lower as the load index of 185/55R15 is 82 (475kg) and the load index of 185/60R15 tyres is 84 (500kg).

So between 2.1 and 2.3 in front

And 1.9 and 2.1 in the back?

1 minute ago, aerik said:

So between 2.1 and 2.3 in front

And 1.9 and 2.1 in the back?

Yes, 2.1 Bar front and 1.9 Bar rear is a good place to start. If you carry rear passengers and heavy luggage maybe 2.3 Bar front and 2.5 Bar rear, but do check the official Skoda recommendations.

2 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Yes, 2.1 Bar front and 1.9 Bar rear is a good place to start. If you carry rear passengers and heavy luggage maybe 2.3 Bar front and 2.5 Bar rear, but do check the official Skoda recommendations.

Thank you so much 

1 hour ago, aerik said:

The tyres Are 185/60r15. How do i calculate the right tyrepressure?

Tyre make and model is also a factor here. Start with the Skoda recommendations (or nearest size to 185/60), and in about 3_000 km, measure the tread depth, then adjust up 2 PSI if you have more edge wear than centre, or down 2 PSI if you have more centre wear than edge.

Long before any tread wear is ever noticed set the pressures according to the comfort and safe handling you want.

Good traction & safe handling with the load in the car on wet roads rather than the best economy of inflating to ECO pressures.

• Like 1