Amundsen MIB1 - CarPlay Options?

Hi,

I have a MY14 Octavia Elegance estate with what I think is the Amundsen MIB1 Headunit?

Part Number - 5E0035874A

Multimedia unit in the glove box with CD drive and 2 x SD card slots 

Just wondering what my options are for getting Apple CarPlay added (wired or wireless)?

I've seen the very expensive Alpine units that look slow and expensive from what I've read.

I've also seen the intermediary box type that lets you switch your screen to it and use CarPlay that way - like this  - Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit Kit | MIB 1 and MIB 2 | Skoda Octavia & Superb (carelectronicsnottingham.co.uk) - Has anyone done this?

I would prefer OEM but am not sure what I would need and how much it would cost?

Thanks for any advice.

Yerr ... if your car is a 2014 model, you aren't going to get a good working system. The nearest thing will be Mirrorlink, but nothing more.

My suggestion is that you go and invest in a MIB2 system for your car. Speak with @pab567
who can organise you a replacement Amunsden (or Columbus if your pockets allow) which gives to you native Mirrorlink and Android Auto and Apple Carplay as standard.

Edited by varaderoguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted this to my Ocatavia 2013 MIB1 last month.  Works surprisingly well.  The hardest bit is cramming all the wires and box somewhere.  I wedged it behind the centre console at the side.  It plugs into the back of the glovebox unit and then the wires plug in to it.  Works wired or wirelessly with Carplay and Android Auto.  Also has options for normal Bluetooth and a front and rear camera and an HDMI input that i haven't got working yet.  You hold down the menu button on the headunit to switch between the normal head unit and the box.

Not cheap but worth it in my opinion.  If you have any questions or would like some more picture just ask.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-seat-skoda-mib-1-mib-2-octavia-rapid-superb/

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Edited by Trekker3000
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply.

Been quoted £660.00 by a local car audio place to have something similar fitted, and VW retrofit will do an Amundsen 2.5" upgrade with 8" screen for £750.00

On 10/08/2021 at 01:16, Trekker3000 said:

I fitted this to my Ocatavia 2013 MIB1 last month.  Works surprisingly well.  The hardest bit is cramming all the wires and box somewhere.  I wedged it behind the centre console at the side.  It plugs into the back of the glovebox unit and then the wires plug in to it.  Works wired or wirelessly with Carplay and Android Auto.  Also has options for normal Bluetooth and a front and rear camera and an HDMI input that i haven't got working yet.  You hold down the menu button on the headunit to switch between the normal head unit and the box.

Not cheap but worth it in my opinion.  If you have any questions or would like some more picture just ask.

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-carplay-interface-for-seat-skoda-mib-1-mib-2-octavia-rapid-superb/

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Did you have to take the head unit out or was it just the unit in the glove box you had to remove and fiddle with? 

how long did it take you to do and on a scale of 1 to 10 (idiot to professional installer with fancy tools) how hard would you say it was?

:)

I just had to remove the glovebox and surround along with the unit in the glovebox.  Its not that difficult, around a 5 i would say.  The hardest bit is cramming all the cables in.  Ill see if I can get some pictures when I get home. 

• 1 month later...
On 13/08/2021 at 06:54, Trekker3000 said:

The first shows where the box is wedged and the second is behind the head unit showing where the wiring loom is placed. 

B5F524E0-E388-4371-B90A-D9E3368A18B0.jpeg

2467C92E-F3BD-40C0-8A68-C4A1919CE113.jpeg

Did you have to take the screen out to get the main unit in there? I bought one and haven’t been able to get it into a good place where I can get the CP USB plug in? 

Sorry I re-read your 

On 13/08/2021 at 06:54, Trekker3000 said:

The first shows where the box is wedged and the second is behind the head unit showing where the wiring loom is placed. 

B5F524E0-E388-4371-B90A-D9E3368A18B0.jpeg

2467C92E-F3BD-40C0-8A68-C4A1919CE113.jpeg

Sorry I re-read your post… I got the cables into the same spot as you but I can’t seem to get the main unit into that gap… 

I’ll have another go tonight! 🙂

On 27/09/2021 at 08:25, Blairyc said:

Sorry I re-read your 

Sorry I re-read your post… I got the cables into the same spot as you but I can’t seem to get the main unit into that gap… 

I’ll have another go tonight! 🙂

I rearranged everything and found out that if you take the screen out, the main unit will fit behind it quite nicely as there is a lot of space.

• 7 months later...

Hi folks, sorry for resurrecting this thread. I was researching options for upgrading my MIB1 Bolero(?) (64 plate Octavia vRS) and saw this product, which seems much simpler than replacing the head unit. If you're still using it, could I get a quick review? Would you recommend it? Any annoyances/bugs/things to consider before purchase?

Thanks!

Hi,  It is still working perfectly.  I've had very few issues with it.  The only issue I have had is the the iPhone not connecting but I have never found out of it is the unit or the iPhone.  This is a very rare occurrence.

As long as the phone is within range it will connect and automatically switch from the cars display to Carplay within 10 to 20 seconds.  Car headunit will need to be on the aux (3.5mm) input to hear anything but if all your using is Carplay then it can stay on this.  The headunit buttons will operate the normal display behind Carplay so pressing the radio button will switch it from aux to radio even if Carplay is on.  You switch between the car headunit and Carplay unit buy holding down the menu button.

I am very happy with it and would not want to go back to standard Bluetooth.

The only bad thing is routing the wiring from the unit in the glovebox.  After that its fairly easy.

Any other questions just ask.  I can take pictures as well.

Hey, my unit is still working well too, not had issues connecting but on a rare occasion I don’t get sound coming from it, I unplug my phone and reconnect and it works fine ( wireless works great but I prefer plugging in - simply because if my wife gets in the car sometimes her phone connects before mine and it’s a pain to swap, but that’s a CarPlay issue and nothing to do with the unit) I love it and am really happy with it. Cabling was a faff as the instructions provided were for a Golf mk7 which has just enough differences to catch a novice (me) out…. I sent them photographs and some feedback when I finished my installation so maybe they were gonna create another guide for the Skoda but Who knows. 

happy to provide any lessons learned though…

cheers

Edited by Blairyc

• 1 month later...
On 31/07/2021 at 18:04, pjrouse said:

Hi,

I have a MY14 Octavia Elegance estate with what I think is the Amundsen MIB1 Headunit?

Part Number - 5E0035874A

Multimedia unit in the glove box with CD drive and 2 x SD card slots 

Just wondering what my options are for getting Apple CarPlay added (wired or wireless)?

I've seen the very expensive Alpine units that look slow and expensive from what I've read.

I've also seen the intermediary box type that lets you switch your screen to it and use CarPlay that way - like this  - Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit Kit | MIB 1 and MIB 2 | Skoda Octavia & Superb (carelectronicsnottingham.co.uk) - Has anyone done this?

I would prefer OEM but am not sure what I would need and how much it would cost?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I am going off ma nut here, trying to find someone who has the same headunit as me and after 3 days of searching I found this thread!. Can you confirm if you were able to upgrade your head unit?.