Braking too soft and low torque

Hello Everyone,

Proud owner of a former Octi 2 for 10 years, I bought a 2017 Skoda Rapid Spaceback (110 HP) after a car accident with my Octy (wasn't responsible).
I Like the car, but I have a couple of issues though :

- I found the braking very soft compared to my Octavia. I was used to hard braking which helped me in situations to avoid cats / dogs or pedestrians. The pedal is a little spongy. I have to press really hard to stop the car, but even when pressing hard, I found the braking distance too high. The brake liquid has been purged last week and a global technical control has been done. How is the braking on your Rapid ? is this normal behavior ?

- I also found the car to be very sleepy under 2000 rpm. I don't know if it is due to the new 3 cylinders motors ? Despite 110 HP, the car is behaving like a Diesel (no much energy after 4K RPM) but without the good torque it provides. I was more used to a linear motor which never stops pushing you forward. The maintenance has just been done, car is like new and only 33K kilometers. Is there anything I could check or improve ?

Thanks

I had 3 Toledos and 1 Rapid. I do not recognise the symptoms you describe. The braking on all 4 was pretty solid and the 1.0 TSI engine had plenty of low down torque and get up and go. The 1.2 TSI engine was a little less powerful than the 1.0 TSI but smoother and more refined. Both engines were typical turbo with useful torque starting at less than 2K revs and , unless you were a boy racer, high revs to improve performance being pretty academic.

When the Brake Fluid was purged was that just aired and not the brake fluid changed?

Was the brake fluid tested for H20 content. (Water)

The Brake Assist can be adjusted from the Factory setting for Disabled use, for when hand controls are fitted.

As can be steering assist.  Usually it is giving more assistance but that should not just be assumed.   

Best see if Brake Assist is on the Factory setting if all else is good like the fluid and pads / discs etc.

purger (French) = to bleed, to purge a system of air.

Replacing the brake fluid would be une vidange from the verb vider meaning to empty.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

As per Manufacturers Recommendations the first Brake Fluid change was due at 3 years.

The Air Filter @ 4 and the Spark plugs even though the mileage is low. 

So have they just been checked during the 'maintenance' / servicing or anything replaced as per the Manufacturers Recommended Servicing?

1135553596_ServiceSchedule.jpg.010f7f298e30d227a90f596bebce01ae.jpg.eed1339005a1b645c62713aa330a487a.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.

As per the car history, the servicing was done previously only by the age, not the mileage as the previous owner wasn't driving that much long distances.

They told me they will do oil change before i pick up the car. When I opened the bonnet, I saw a sticky note mentioning "oil" and "brake fluid" changes done last Friday.
So i think they did not just checked the brake fluid but performed some servicing.

The Brake Assist can be adjusted from the Factory setting for Disabled use, for when hand controls are fitted.

As can be steering assist.  Usually it is giving more assistance but that should not just be assumed.   

Best see if Brake Assist is on the Factory setting if all else is good like the fluid and pads / discs etc.

I'll check this setting.

The Air Filter @ 4 and the Spark plugs even though the mileage is low. 

Do you think changing those could improve low torque under 2K ?

Clearly I was almost always running in 3th gear before any roundabout but now i need 2th gear, even 1st sometimes. When I took a roundabout in 3th gear, the car is almost staling and pushing the accelerator is doing nothing til 1,5sec, maybe 2. Until 2K, it's almost irresponsive

3 hours ago, Budykiller said:

Thanks for your feedback.

As per the car history, the servicing was done previously only by the age, not the mileage as the previous owner wasn't driving that much long distances.

They told me they will do oil change before i pick up the car. When I opened the bonnet, I saw a sticky note mentioning "oil" and "brake fluid" changes done last Friday.
So i think they did not just checked the brake fluid but performed some servicing.

I'll check this setting.

Do you think changing those could improve low torque under 2K ?

Clearly I was almost always running in 3th gear before any roundabout but now i need 2th gear, even 1st sometimes. When I took a roundabout in 3th gear, the car is almost staling and pushing the accelerator is doing nothing til 1,5sec, maybe 2. Until 2K, it's almost irresponsive

I have the 1.0/110 as well.

You are correct, it has a very narrow torque band, and is completely unresponsive at low revs.

Just use more revs, its reasonably smooth up to 5000 and needs you to adapt your driving technique to keep it above 1800/2000 at all times.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Some news !

A few days after my post, while I was opening the filter airbox to check if it needs to be replaced, I discovered a cable that what unclipped just under the airbox.

When I tried to start the engine again, the car couldn't stay at idle. It was accelerating then stopping (between 1000rpm to 2000rpm).

A search on Internet shown that this cable was linking the Vacuum Pump to the the intake manifold. The hose was destroyed and it has been glued instead of fixing the whole system. As the hose is broken, the Intake Manifold as to be entirely replaced. Maybe during the filter airbox removal, a small vibration detached the glue.

This cable is used for braking assist. Also, it is used for the motor to work flawlessly. IF the connection is not secured properly, the brakes could be not effective and the acceleration erratic. Maybe all my issues was coming from there.
My car is currently being serviced and I should get it back in a few days. Hope it will fix everything !

BTW, the replacement of all this cost 894€. Hopefully I won't pay anything because the car was bought from them only 2 weeks before.

If in the UK (assume you're not if paying in Euros) you're covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Take it to the garage you bought it from and they have the right to one opportunity to repair (at their cost) otherwise you can request a full refund, which the garage obviously doesn't want.

There may be similar legislation outside the UK too.

I find the 1.0TSI plenty torque. Seems best between around 1250rpm and 2500rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally Skoda paid everything under warranty.
The car is now much smoother at low torque and seems more responsive, as well as the brakes. It's still not on par with my old Octy 2 brakes or some other cars I tried but I will get used to it ;)

Thanks for the support

On 23/08/2021 at 10:52, Budykiller said:

Hi all,

Finally Skoda paid everything under warranty.
The car is now much smoother at low torque and seems more responsive, as well as the brakes. It's still not on par with my old Octy 2 brakes or some other cars I tried but I will get used to it ;)

Thanks for the support

What was the exact issue? Mind posting the invoice from Skoda?