Oil ? - Petrol engine

BRUN

I have a 2017 1.4 petrol Kodiaq, and its in for service/MOT at the end of the month, Autodata is saying the preferred oil for my vehicle is 0w-20 VW 508 spec, just checking that this is correct ?

I seem to remember reading a thread about it on here about a year ago, but whats the latest information ?

Thanks

VW508 is the correct spec for petrol, VW509 for diesel

They are both synthetic oils

For the petrol, I believe you can also top up with VW504 (but shouldn't be used for long life services)

• Confused 1

0w 20 FS VW 508 00 , 509 00 is the correct oil but not for a 2017 TSI or TDI.    That is the recommendation from VW from 2018.    Not backward applicable.    The correct oil for the Euro 6 TSI pre change to the new spec is 5w 30 FS III for TSI and TDI.   For fixed service , oil changed 5w 40 FS so VW 502 00 can be used with a TSI. 

I asked a similar question when I got my Kodiaq and found the answers rather confusing and conflicting.

What I gleaned was, that the oil the car leaves the factory with is not what your dealer will use when he services it. i.e. factory oil is thinner so the car conforms to emissions when it leaves the factory.

VW 508 is fine and I also read that VW 509 is okay, but as Surrey John says, 509 is for diesels so that's where some of the conflict arose.

When I had my first service, I asked my dealer to supply a litre of oil for top up should it be needed and he gave me Castrol Edge Professional LL IV  FE OW-20 for petrol and diesel engines.

Assuming you're using a dealer or a proficient garage, they should know what to use, but it's always good to have prior knowledge if you don't trust your garage 100%.

My Kodiaq was a 2018 2.0 Tsi.

Edited by olderman1

Mine is a 2017 1.4 TSI, Euro 6, 110kw/150bhp, CZEA engine

I believe it does have a GPF fitted iirc

I want to use the best oil for the engine

Edited by BRUN

2 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

I asked a similar question when I got my Kodiaq and found the answers rather confusing and conflicting.

What I gleaned was, that the oil the car leaves the factory with is not what your dealer will use when he services it. i.e. factory oil is thinner so the car conforms to emissions when it leaves the factory.

VW 508 is fine and I also read that VW 509 is okay, but as Surrey John says, 509 is for diesels so that's where some of the conflict arose.

When I had my first service, I asked my dealer to supply a litre of oil for top up should it be needed and he gave me Castrol Edge Professional LL IV  FE OW-20 for petrol and diesel engines.

Assuming you're using a dealer or a proficient garage, they should know what to use, but it's always good to have prior knowledge if you don't trust your garage 100%.

I work at the garage its being done at, we use Autodata to check these things, its me who will be ordering any oil in it may need so wanting to make sure I get it right

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

If you look on erWin at the approved oils list (you'll have to register, but that's free), every single oil approved to 508 00 is also approved to 509 00.

Interestingly there are some new grades I was not aware of, 508 88 and 509 99, which are all 5W40 grades. Possibly for annual/fixed interval servicing of recent cars??? (Pure speculation on my part)

Aaaannnnd a 511 00, which has a mixture of 0W40s and 5W40s in its list.  

Things are getting even more complex! 

Not sure if any of that is relevant to the OP of this thread though.

• Like 1

Skoda / VW Group put this out once they went to VW 508 00 VW 509 00 pre WLTP / RDE & GPF's.  

This is for Variable / Flexible Servicing.   Finding that VW502 00 is ok for TSI Fixed Servicing (oil & filter changes) is more difficult.  But it is perfectly OK.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png.eb3bb2b07e733f93b57e1e5335014cf2.png

13 minutes ago, BRUN said:

I work at the garage its being done at, we use Autodata to check these things, its me who will be ordering any oil in it may need so wanting to make sure I get it right

Good for you, I like people who take the time to get it right.

I believe it does have a GPF fitted iirc

I believe that statement is wrong unless the 1.4 and 2.0 litre petrols were treated differently. My 2018 2.0 Tsi did not have a GPF and to my knowledge they crept in during 2019.

It will pay to check that though as I read that on this forum and I see that the VAG started fitting them to some cars in 2016.

PS 

Plenty Dealerships are now using 0w 30 FS II( on vehicles with GPF's.    Maybe Vorsprung Durch Technik has come to pass.

GPF's were not fitted to Skoda's before they were fitted to 1.0TSI Mk3 Fabia in 2018.

Edited by e-Roottoot

4 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

Good for you, I like people who take the time to get it right.

I believe that statement is wrong unless the 1.4 and 2.0 litre petrols were treated differently. My 2018 2.0 Tsi did not have a GPF and to my knowledge they crept in during 2019.

It will pay to check that though as I read that on this forum and I see that the VAG started fitting them to some cars in 2016.

Further to this, I just found this; Note it says step by step, so it will depend on when this filtered into different cars in VAG range.

The Volkswagen Group is continuing to work assiduously on the environmental compatibility of conventional drive systems. The company has now decided upon wide-scale use of particulate filters for petrol engines, so-called 'gasoline particulate filters (GPF)'. From 2017, all Group direct injection TSI and TFSI engines will be fitted step-by-step with petrol particulate filters. Emissions of fine soot particles will be reduced in this way by up to 90 per cent.

Regardless of a GPF being fitted to TSI's some Dealerships were using VW504 00 / 507 00.   (Many had no VW508 00 / 509 00 available to sell in the parts department.

Those that are Euro 6 d temp are different from the Euro 6 pre WLTP certification.     With a TDI even on fixed servicing it requires the VW507 00 or VW509 00.   It comes as VW 504 00/507 00  or VW 508 00 /509 00

Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 13.31.37.png

DSCN3792.JPG.99339b22bd93b6f491681c56e3c04b5b.jpeg

DSCN0630.JPG.1a0b348ee21930609aed64c20d855480.JPG.7c66bc76c402c2f53669b7c9d0b27286.jpeg

in the maintenance booklet, downloaded from the guides section on here, it seems to suggest 508 should be used, with 504 as an alternative, for my engine

i have access to the Skoda parts catalogue, and it lets me choose loads of different oils with my VIN in

Edited by BRUN

1 hour ago, BRUN said:

I have a 2017 1.4 petrol Kodiaq, and its in for service/MOT at the end of the month, Autodata is saying the preferred oil for my vehicle is 0w-20 VW 508 spec, just checking that this is correct ?

I seem to remember reading a thread about it on here about a year ago, but whats the latest information ?

Thanks

The dealer put Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-20 in my 2.0 TSI, which is a 508 approved oil. (And 509, come to that.)

(Source:- https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20/ )

image.thumb.png.abdfb3f65f752822eb852144064ae804.png

Edited by EnterName
Clarified engine and added link

so is the image posted above correct for mine @e-Roottoot your post about an hour ago

508 or 504 spec, with 508 being preferred by VAG

everything is seeming to suggest the 508 is the correct oil, with 504 being an alternative thats also suitable

Edited by BRUN

Here is one of the first threads on the subject with a members with the same vehicle as yours or later builds. 

Some got a sticker in the engine compartment and some did not.

You have no GPF and no need to use VW 508 00 / 509 00.      It is not back applicable / compatible.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452892-oil-type-in-14-tsi-4x4  See @silver1011's posts. also @xmanwho explains.

Loads of threads on VW 508 / 509 on Briskoda since 2018.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/448200-vw-508-00-oil     3 years on and there is still doubt over cars built 4 years ago.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@EnterName  ^^^ That is because that is The Manufacturers Recommended Oil for your vehicle for Variable / Flexible Servicing, and because it is what they have for servicing.

You have a 2019 vehicle with WLTP Certification.

Ah! I don't have the silver oil sticker on mine, next to the black and yellow sticker.