Oil ? - Petrol engine

BRUN

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to chime in here in case it’s any help to anyone. My 2017 1.4 tsi Kodiaq registered in the UK in Sept 2017 says in the owners manual that the recommended oil for variable servicing is 508 00 (504 00 optional) as it seems to be the case for all 1.4 owners.

I’m starting my own servicing this year, so I rang the dealer to see what oil was used during last 2 services. They said OW30, which was a surprise to me as I would have expected a 502 spec oil as recommended in the owners manual for the fixed term annual services that the car was set for.

I called a second dealer to find out what they’d  recommend if switching to variable service since the car doesn’t do a lot of miles. They looked it up by the reg and said 504 00 0w30 is the recommended oil. They believed 508 00 is for the 2020 models and higher.

What I find misleading is that VAG recommend 508 00 in the owners manual for 1.4 tsi engines, and the 1.4 tsi kodiaq was only manufactured up to 2018.

I still want to believe 508 00 is the correct oil as stated in the owners manual but I’ll play it safe with a 504 spec since it’s what the dealers are recommending.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

You were speaking to someone that thought 2020 for VW508 00 / 509 00 that likely was not with a Dealership back in 2018. 

or really learns from the person they hear tell other customers the wrong information.

VW 502 00 can be used for fixed service regimes with a TSI.

But many dealers stopped stocking or using it because the would use VW504 00 / 507 00 for fixed or Variable.

Used to be commonly 5w 30 FS III and now often 0w 30 FS III.

(When not ones needing or recommended to VW508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 FS IV.  &  Some are using 0w 30 FS III instead. or were )

@silver1011can keep you right.

image.webp

Screenshot_20180414-061447.webp

1216976101_Screenshot2021-07-13at07_43_36.webp.6b86b9d8d97c1644eddcfda730f31a5b.webp

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

I got the impression that the Skoda dealer parts rep I was speaking to didn’t know much about the 508/509 spec. He basically just said 0w30 504/507 is the recommended oil based on my reg.

I’m still keen to switch to 0w20 508 as it seems like a better option for mostly city driving / short trips, but on the other hand 0w30 504 seems like safer option where I can’t really go wrong.

Would love to know if any other Kodiaq 1.4 TSI owners are using 508 spec 0w20 and what their experiences are?!

• Confused 1

It is no better option for your 1.4 TSI.

0w 30 FS III will be perfectly fine.  You will not reduce emissions with 0w 20 FS IV or fuel consuption.

If doing fixed servicing oil and filter i would use the 5w 40 FS so not long life oil in a 1.4 TSI or a 1.4 TSI ACT. 

Were the spark plugs replaced at 40,000 miles or 4 years.

Is the air filter nice and clean.   

That will do more for good running in city and short runs than the oil that was introduced to suit VW getting the figures needed for the WLTP certification which came after your was built and they stopped using that engine and went 1.5 TSI ACT.  (and coc-ked that up for a while.)

@Breezy_Pete  Nail on head. You are totally totally correct as usual, i do not know.  But then if it was as simple as use this oil in the older engines from 6 years plus ago and use less fuel would people not now being doing this for the environment.

The OP can try and see if using the supposedly not back compatible oil will reduce the fuel used.

Also in the real world and the ambient temperatures if emissions are reduced.  & if the oil does not require topping up more often. 

13 hours ago, jdall said:

I’m starting my own servicing this year...

I called a second dealer to find out what they’d  recommend if switching to variable service since the car doesn’t do a lot of miles.

11 hours ago, jdall said:

I’m still keen to switch to 0w20 508 as it seems like a better option for mostly city driving / short trips

Are you saying  your typical driving will be city / short trips and you intend to change from fixed to variable servicing?

5 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Are you saying  your typical driving will be city / short trips and you intend to change from fixed to variable servicing?

Apparently yes. :wall:

What does the sticker on the slam panel under the bonnet say?

I wouldn’t go by the manual, they’re only accurate at the point they’re printed.

I am also a believer that the wider use of 0W20 and 0W30 oils are primarily to improve emissions and / or economy, not engine or component longevity.

I’ve no idea what oil the dealer is using in my 2018 1.4 TSI ACT, I meant to ask last week after it’s last service, but forgot.

If I was servicing it myself I’d be using VW507.00 Quantum Longlife III (5W30).

If your mileage is increasing I am not sure I’m following your logic for moving from fixed to variable service intervals. A fixed interval will remind you for a service after 12 months. Opinion varies, but I’m a supporter of regular annual oil changes.

• Like 1

@kodiaqsportline fair point on the servicing interval. My intention was to mainly find out what oils are factory recommended for the engine and then decide on the best oil for the driving habits. My logic is a lower viscosity long life oil will be better for frequent cold starts and short trips, although I’m aware it’s terrible for the engine either way.

@Rooted Thanks for the heads up on the spark plugs. I just found out they were changed during the last service so happy days. Air filter will be changed during my next oil change and checked every year.

I appreciate all the feedback and feel a lot more confident purchasing my oil now. I’ve settled on the VW Longlife 504/507 spec 0w30, most likely the same as what’s in there now. 

• Like 1