Bonnet won't lock in place

blood

My 2013 Superb MKII Bonnet wont click into the locked position correctly and bounces back up to the safety catch, I've lubed it all up and eventually got it to lock but it did the exact same again two days later when i needed to change a bulb.

Could the lower catch be worn or is there any ajustment that might cure it.

Any advice welcome.

Hi Chimaera.

As far as I can see the cable does move freely and it opens fine. I can make the Mechanism lock by pushing a Screwdriver on to the lock trigger and then it'll release fine, but it doesnt want to lock using the Square/U shaped round lock rod that is attached to the bonnet, it's almost as if it wont go down far enough to trigger the final part of the locking process.

Superb bonnet catches do play up it’s a known thing. Usually need screwdriver to release safety rather than closing issues. Have you tried dropping it from a low height vs pushing down to close ?

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

!? That's normally a manual release lever for the safety catch.

No, its not the safety catch, it's the part that slots down into the lock, pushes down through two wire rods and then trips the lock catch when the bonnet fully closes....this is the part the Lock catch holds in place until the bonnet release cable is pulled.

3 hours ago, gav_is_con said:

Superb bonnet catches do play up it’s a known thing. Usually need screwdriver to release safety rather than closing issues. Have you tried dropping it from a low height vs pushing down to close ?

Yes, I normally drop it from about 8" so as not to dimple the bonnet by pushing on it.

3 hours ago, chimaera said:

Hmm. Any bangs or knocks around the front of the car recently? Anything shoved out of place? Check the adjustment of the bump stops - if they're too high they'll prevent the latch from closing properly.

No Bangs nor Knocks, though I will check the bump stop heights.

I had exactly the same.

It required a new catch.

Once I had the old one off, I could see it was broken inside.

The pin that runs through and holds one of the springs in place had sheared off. No amount of lubricant would ever solve that

New catch fitted and all was well.

20210304_164211.jpg

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Ah, I'm not sure what that's called, but it's usually adjustable.

I'm not sure what its called either and that's what makes describing it so difficult.. :)

1 hour ago, softscoop said:

I had exactly the same.

It required a new catch.

Once I had the old one off, I could see it was broken inside.

The pin that runs through and holds one of the springs in place had sheared off. No amount of lubricant would ever solve that

New catch fitted and all was well.

20210304_164211.jpg

I'm popping it down the local garage today so they can have a quick shifty at it, it may have went the same way yours did.

Hi all.

I gave it a liberal coating of Plumbers Silcone spray and it started working as normal, I guess it was some Rust, crud or dead flies that had created the problem, certainly nothing I tried last night would fix it.

Now I have to cancel the garage slot until or unless he problem returns.

Thank you all for your help...much appreciated.