Columbus Map updates

Hi all,

I am about to update my Columbus mapping, I have downloaded relevant maps, Unzipped and put them on SD card. My question is that Skoda say it will take about 4 hours to upload to the internal hard drive. Is it OK to leave the ignition on that long without running the engine. It is a Diesel engine. Which ignition position should I leave it in for the process to take place. please?

You don’t need the ignition on. Just leave the car as normal, and it will slowly update in the background.

I did it there 2 days ago. I started the upload process from SD card just as I sent off on a 40 minute journey, but when I got to the destination, I just parked and locked up the car and let it do its thing. 

It certainly doesn’t take 4 hours, I have done it by using the passenger door as to not to shut down when drivers door opened, ignition doesn’t need to be on. Radio might shutdown after 30-40 mins and is normally done by this time but it’s easy enough to continue update.

I have also started transfer and used car whilst update in progress, if you stop car it will continue where it left off next time you start the car.

I'm about to upload the update too on tomorrow during a ~2h trip.

Do you know if I will be able te listen to the radio or Media (SD card) source during the operation?

Thanks.

Err... It went bad... May be something wrong on my SD card. I’ve got an error message after few seconds of upsate process: « Navigation database unavailable » and... that’s it

I then aborted the update and now I have no other message than « Navigation database unavailable » each time I go into the navigation menu.

Any idea to get back to either the normal navigation menu (and map display) or to the update launch screen?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Bap33 said:

« Navigation database unavailable »

doesn't sound as Columbus where SD card is used to upload maps into device

maybe Amundsen? where SD card is used as storage for maps files

It IS a Columbus, since standard soec on my L&K. ;) 
The error message is most probably referring to the data on the SD card to upload the new map version... 

As a last chance, May be I can ask on Skoda Customer Service?...

Edited by Bap33

Oh, I finally managed to launch the update. I pressed the « Menu » button for 2-3 s and accessed to another menu I had never seen to update a whole bunch of softwares. 
The system has recognized navigation update information on the SD card.
Upload is pending. I cross the fingers...

The strange thing is that it’s a complete different process, compared to the previous map update, I made... Not very intuitive...

Edited by Bap33

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

It IS a Columbus, since standard spec on my L&K. ;) 

depends on country, but even Amundsen now is paid equipment :(

€€€        
 390    RND    Amundsen 8"
1310    RNF    Columbus 9.2"

3 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Oh, I finally managed to launch the update. I pressed the « Menu » button for 2-3 s and accessed to another menu I had never seen to update a whole bunch of softwares.

What a bizarre menu! Eggnog, Truffles, what on earth are these???

2F0E325B-B6CE-43CB-9F73-796F88525DE0.jpeg

• Haha 1

Hi to all with columbus Nav,

I could not load the latest map update, my 32 Gb SD card said it was short of 215 Mb. trieid reformating card (FAT 32) still no room on card.

Did this several times, still short of room.

Checked that card had no bad sectors, came back all OK. Phoned customer services, they said it should go on 32 Gb card.

So I bought a new card, now all OK.

So the old card Phillips, was only ever used for map updates, and used 10 times. is there a limeted life on cards?

The card still works, and will let me download other stuff from my comuter!

Just put this up incase anyone else has the same problem

All the best

Mayoboat

9 minutes ago, Mayoboat said:

So the old card Phillips, was only ever used for map updates, and used 10 times. is there a limeted life on cards?

There's a lot of variance in quality with SD cards across brands, and sometimes some devices work better with one kind or another. I'm into photography, so I have loads of them about here for my various cameras. I always use SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, and they've never let me down (I have some that are over 10 years old and have been used for thousands of photos on multiple cameras - the only reason I have newer ones too is that they're much faster and better able to handle the huge file sizes of modern high resolution cameras), but even still, I'm always prepared with spares in case one decides to glitch out, and my GoPro is particularly finicky about the card (and size of card) it uses. 

Last week when I was updating my maps, I had tried a SanDisk Micro SD card in an adapter that works perfectly well with a load of other devices, and it would just not load the map file to the car at all. Then I tried with a regular sized SD card formatted as FAT 32 on a Mac, and it worked flawlessly.

@Mayoboat What's the size of the file you've downloaded from the Skoda portal (before unzipping)? The latest version is ~27.9Gb. It perfectly fits on a 32Gb SD card once unzipped.

Another question :wait:: did you unzipped the file on your SD card using a Mac or a PC? I've read on a french Skoda forum that a Superb Mk3 owner did not succeed in unzipping the map onto his SD card 'cause he was using an iMac. He unzipped the same file using a PC and everything went OK... 

;)

Hi I have finally managed to download the update which is 26Gb. Last time it was updated was 2015.

My question is, can I start the update and then lock the car to go to bed and let it do its thing while I am asleep?

23 hours ago, ronhagley said:

Hi I have finally managed to download the update which is 26Gb. Last time it was updated was 2015.

My question is, can I start the update and then lock the car to go to bed and let it do its thing while I am asleep?

Ideally, no. If you are leaving the car to update, it's probably better to keep an eye on it.  Also the radio units tend to switch themselves off after 30 mins if left alone.

The update only really takes around 40 mins, so I tend to do it on my drive to work and just go without music.

Finally did update my Columbus unit. Biggest problem I had was getting the 26Gb download. Downloads kept stopping for no apparent reason meaning I had to start over. Finally in desperation I installed a Download Manager on the PC  which did the job. Unzipped files to an SD card and installed fine - just a shame they have not got around to adding postcode search for destinations..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I am a new owner of this wonderful (used) car but I am having a problem with updating Columbus Sat nav with latest version (2017>21/22). I have done many times what other people do with no success. I went to Skoda portal, used the WIN number and downloaded the update. I have used different programs for un-zipping the software, using different full size SD cards (all 32GB class 10), alternating between slot 1 and 2, running engine or not - Columbus simply does not want to know. It is reading the card and then after half a minute or so it disregards it as if there is no data worth to look at. 

Can someone please enlight me?

Hi Martini, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I did not find there anything new I could use or try. Just to confirm - there is one file WMPInfo & folder on the card - HIGH12_P192_EU_202125 with Mib1. Mib2 and metainfo2. Aprox. 541MB left free on Sandisc ultra 120MB/s card. Error message: no data available

I’ve not had a problem updating my Columbus 2018 (done a couple of times and due to do again), I use a 128gb micro sd in SD adapter (borrowed from the dash cam usually) and just extract the downloaded file using standard winzip on windows 10 with the card formatted using windows and copy the extracted folders across.

I enter the car via the passenger door and turn on the infotainment by holding the power button then start the update and leave the car locked. It just does it’s thing and doesn’t turn off or flatten the battery. Usually takes about 40 minutes 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1