Tyres on 19" Xtreme alloys..

Hey,

No this isn't another question about best tyres or tyre size haha.

Does anyone have issues with tyre damage with the xtreme alloys?

I have P-Zeros all round on mine with about less than 10k miles on all tyres. Had it serviced and was told all but one had damage to the tyre, and no damage is the same. One tyre has a bulge, one has a slice in the side wall and one has some of the cords exposed (although I struggled to see this damage, but I doubt they are lying).

Last year went through 2 tyres in the space of 2 weeks because of pothole damage, first one I dont know how it happened as I wasn't driving however the second I was travelling at less than 30mph and from looking at the pothole it was insignificant to say the least. 

Since I bought the car (2015) I have had to change the tyres regularly way before they have worn to their natural end. I would say on average 2 tyres a year due to damage. Don't think I have ever changed them due to wear haha.

It's actually gotten me to the point where I am looking to get rid.. wasting too much money on tyres each year, it's quite demoralising tbh.

Wondering if anyone else goes through tyres regularly way before time, maybe there is a solution for me so i won't chop it in to webuyanycar for a tidy £11k.

Anyway thanks in advance.

I use Goodyear and they tend to have stiffer tyre walls and less prone to damage. Had mine 2 years now with no issues and we have third world roads round here in places.

For me, definitely consider the tyre type itself.

Having had the car 4 years with the '19 Xtremes running 225/35 Pirelli P-Zeros for 1 year, then changing to 235/35 Goodyear AS1s for a bit, and now Micheline Pilot Sport 4S('s) for the past 2 - both GY and Michelin have considerably more robust sidewall construction and are generally more hardy (whilst having much more grip) compared to the Pirellis.

W. Sussex has shocking roads, and there's been enough instances in the last 2 years where I've 'dashcam-saved' the impacts into potholes - which have affected tracking - for evidence, before checking the tyres etc, in case I need to get the council to shell out for replacements (again). I am continually amazed that the PS4Ss hold up to such a beating, whereas my Pirellis definitely were damaged considerably more in the year I had them.

Recommend switching to GY or Michelin if you can, and increase the width to 235/35 if you haven't already for more grip, more sidewall protection, and generally a better tyre all round. Especially in the wetter months.

The Pirelli P-Zero tyres are generally quite good, although some folk have their issues with them.  In terms of a bulge, that is a manufacturer fault and the tyre should be replaced.

The VRS cars are hard on their tyres.  I would personally recommend going which Michelin tyres which seem to work very well on cars I've had with 19" inch wheels. 

P Zero, I've lost (sold) them as one developed bubble after hitting the pothole, around half of their wear cycle. Lasted two summers. 

PS4S, put as a replacement on april 2019, love them. Seems to me nice meaty segment above prior tire. So far so good, seems like I'll will wear them before any issue, this is now already third summer for them. 

• Like 1

I have P-Zeros on the rear of mine and Goodyear Asymmetric 5 on the front. The roads are awful where I live and I regularly smash over pot holes and wonder how my front wheels are still attached. Car is lowered too. Never ever damaged a tyre though :wondering:

Edited by simonds3135