Towbar fitting

1 hour ago, Hutchy36 said:

I'm getting the Skoda electric hidden towbar fitted on the 9th of September for £988 , by Skoda dealer in Linwood Scotland 

I was always in ore of the Skoda ‘electrically folding tow bar’ - that was until I got to see one in the metal, so to speak. 
The ‘electric’ bit is a little oversold, simply releasing the hitch from its cradle and expecting the owner to lock it into position didn’t quite fulfil my expectations

I somehow envisaged something more, a Bowden cable would do the job somewhat more simply and cheaper.

Edited by Berisford
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Berisford said:

I was always in ore of the Skoda ‘electrically folding tow bar’ - that was until I got to see one in the metal, so to speak. 
The ‘electric’ bit is a little oversold, simply releasing the hitch from its cradle and expecting the owner to lock it into position didn’t quite fulfil my expectations, I expected something more, a Bowden cable would do the job somewhat more simply and cheaper.

BMW have a very elegant electrically actuated towbar, but unfortunately you have to be stationary for it to work.

I always liked the idea of being able to deploy a hidden towbar while driving to deter tailgaters. :D

Edited by EnterName

2 hours ago, Hutchy36 said:

I'm getting the Skoda electric hidden towbar fitted on the 9th of September for £988 , by Skoda dealer in Linwood Scotland 

That's interesting. Skoda at Linwood are my dealer that I use and I was told by them that retrofitting the folding tow hook was a non-starter on my 2021 iV as I didn't have the tow hook prep work fitted on build. I'm assuming you do?

I had Buchans for Towbars in Glasgow fit a detachable Tow Trust unit, with correct wiring and coding for about £900 instead. Works a treat!

8 hours ago, kfsn1 said:

That's interesting. Skoda at Linwood are my dealer that I use and I was told by them that retrofitting the folding tow hook was a non-starter on my 2021 iV as I didn't have the tow hook prep work fitted on build. I'm assuming you do?

I had Buchans for Towbars in Glasgow fit a detachable Tow Trust unit, with correct wiring and coding for about £900 instead. Works a treat!

Could be due to the fact that the latest vehicles cannot legally tow or have tow bar fitted, as there is no allowable towing weight on vehicle plate on the drivers door pillar, unless it has tow bar or at least tow bar prep at the factory.

7C678564-96BC-45E6-B7C6-74D7BDC440D3.jpeg

Edited by Kenny R

1 minute ago, Kenny R said:

Could be due to the fact that the latest vehicles cannot legally tow or have tow bar fitted, as there is no allowable towing weight on vehicle plate, unless it has tow bar or at least tow bar prep at the factory.

7C678564-96BC-45E6-B7C6-74D7BDC440D3.jpeg

The VIN plate on my iV does show it can tow as it has an allowable towage max weight of over a tonne (can't remember the figure exactly). This was checked also by the tow bar installation centre and they confirmed it before fitting. Therefore, saying if no tow bar or associated prep from factory means no tow bar full stop.....it cannot be correct.

11 hours ago, kfsn1 said:

The VIN plate on my iV does show it can tow as it has an allowable towage max weight of over a tonne (can't remember the figure exactly). This was checked also by the tow bar installation centre and they confirmed it before fitting. Therefore, saying if no tow bar or associated prep from factory means no tow bar full stop.....it cannot be correct.

My newly accuired sportline + shows towing capacity of 2,200kg on the V5C.

• 2 weeks later...

Well quick update , just picked car up from Skoda Linwood , got the towbar fitted with all electrics ( no module originally  installed) for the agreed price of £988 including Vat , excellent job carried out , well done Arnold Clark