Octavia 2014 1,8 Dsg7 - Should I be worried?

Hey guys. 

So Ive been a Ford guy for quite some time, but I want to try some new. 

Im about to pick up a 2014 octavia estate, with dsg7 transmission. My first auto gearbox too. 

But now im reading about people having a lot of issues with these gearboxes. 

Should I be worried? 

Its a dry plate, and the car have gone 170.000km. 

Best Regards 

Welcome.

Well there are 2 possible issues, so a DQ200 DSG from 2013-2015 should maybe have had Service Campaign '34H5' carried out, 

that is a Software Update, if all is well then good. 

But that is pretty high miles / km if the DSG has not had new clutches.

More of a worry to me would be the 2014 1.8 TSI.     See the Pinned Thread at the top of the Octavia Mk2 section. 

• Like 1

Thank you, and thanks for your reply. 

So I need to check if cluthes has been changed. 

What about the engine? I see a lot of messages about the 2,0 tsi. Is the mk2 1,8tsi the exact same engine as the mk3? 

Its a 1,8tsi 180hp.

Regards. 

Did we have the 1.8 engine in the UK in 2014?  I've deleted all my old PDF Octavia brochures, but I'm not sure we did, so there'd be little experience of it here.  I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

More of a worry to me would be the 2014 1.8 TSI. 

EA888 gen3 is a very different engine to the gen 2 fitted to the Mk2. AFAIK the Gen3 was not fitted to pre-MQB cars as it was not produced until 2013

I have had the gen3 180ps 1.8 TSI in mine for 5 years and it has not missed a beat, even driving the 4x4. 

I won't lie I'm glad mine has the DQ250 as I think the 1.8 is on the limit of what the DQ200 will handle but at least it will have the multilink rear suspension :thumbup:

• Like 1

Sorry on my duff warning on the 1.8TSI from 2013/14.

Re the DQ200 & the 250 Nm max.  Lots of us had Twinchargers remapped and putting out over 300 Nm with DQ200's.

VW put the 1.8TSI in the Polo GTI in 2015 and that had 192ps & a DQ200 DSG, they limited the torque to 250 Nm with the DSG but the Manual had 320 Nm.

They say the DQ200 weighs more, so more weight, less torque, but the DSG was as quick as the manual.    (real UK world side by side on a road not track, XDS, but TC off and DSG in S)  The Leon 180 ps / DSG felt as quick and was more comfortable IMO, it was heavier, never tried them side by side or with a Vbox.

VW Engineering, of figures.

Edited by e-Roottoot

11 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Did we have the 1.8 engine in the UK in 2014?  I've deleted all my old PDF Octavia brochures, but I'm not sure we did, so there'd be little experience of it here.  I could be wrong.

Happy to be proved wrong.

13 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Yep, hasn't missed a beat in my L & K.

2 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

Happy to be proved wrong.

We did from mid 2014 but only in L and K trim if I recall correctly. As per this 2015 example. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108116113358?atmobcid=soc3

Not sure many 1.8 TSI Octavia were actually sold here though, autotrader only returned 1!

Seat Leon FR were sold in much greater numbers here with this drivetrain combination.

Edited by ahenners

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

I think we did from mid 2014 but only in L and K trim if I recall correctly. As per this 2015 example. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108116113358?atmobcid=soc3

Not sure many 1.8 TSI Octavia were actually sold here though, autotrader only returned 1!

Seat Leon FR were sold in much greater numbers here with this drivetrain combination.

Cheers, I've seen overnight it was used in the Leon.

Alright guys, I took a shot and bought it. 

It surprises me a lot. I seems faster and more snappy than my old Mondeo mk4 2,2 TDCi which was remapped to 225hp. 

Also the Canton soundsystem is dope. 

It looks like it has rain sensor, and the description said it had so, but I doesnt seem to work? 

Is there some where I can hit the VIN number up, and see what the car is Bork with? Like you once could with ford etis. 

Also, where is the best UK place to order cool skoda parts from? I need a front splitter at some point. 

Best Regards 

11 hours ago, Dulli said:

It looks like it has rain sensor, and the description said it had so, but I doesnt seem to work? 

If you leave the wiper stalk on the first setting (intermittent) that should bring the rain sensor into play.  That's how it works on my Karoq, and my previous Octavia vRS.  Try it with the screen dry, then spray some water around the top centre of the screen (outside!) where the mirror housing is. 

41 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

If you leave the wiper stalk on the first setting (intermittent) that should bring the rain sensor into play.  That's how it works on my Karoq, and my previous Octavia vRS.  Try it with the screen dry, then spray some water around the top centre of the screen (outside!) where the mirror housing is. 

Will try this. 

As I recall, leaving it on interval just makes it do interval, wether or not its raining. 

But seems like it has something. Would guess the right part is the rain sensor but what the heck is the left part? 

IMG_20210828_103755.jpg

That's where the camera/sensor is if you've got lane departure warning fitted. The cutout is there even if you haven't got that. It's probably also for active cruise control but I don't think that was around in 2014.

9 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

That's where the camera/sensor is if you've got lane departure warning fitted. The cutout is there even if you haven't got that. It's probably also for active cruise control but I don't think that was around in 2014.

Ahh thanks. It does indeed have lane assist. 

6 hours ago, FlyingGecko said:

ACC is the radar mounted on the lower grill. 

The larger camera is for lane assist, TSR and I think HBA works off it as well? Maybe that’s another light sensor in the same area though. 

Traffic Sign Recog and High Beam Assist. 

As mentioned previously, you should be able to just move the stalk up 1 notch and that will activate the auto wipers, use the slider on top for the sensitivity. I haven’t seen a mk3 vRS without auto wipers?  So its either not working or user error?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Dulli said:

Will try this. 

As I recall, leaving it on interval just makes it do interval, wether or not its raining. 

But seems like it has something. Would guess the right part is the rain sensor but what the heck is the left part? 

IMG_20210828_103755.jpg

As you have the rain sensor, in my opinion there are two possibilities.

1: automatic wiping is not enabled in the infotainment, therefore leaving standard intermittent wiping in the 1st stalk position.

2: Rain sensor is faulty and needs replacing. I had to do this on my 2013 as mine reverted back to intermittent wiping instead of auto. If you have a fault code reader you may see a fault for the RLFS/RLHS depending on which variant you have. It's reasonably easy to swap if required, I bought one used from a VW Tiguan with same part number. Mine has the humidity sensor with the part number in the image below

DSC_2123.JPG

Edited by ahenners

46 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The OP does not have a vRS.

Ahh well that’s a game changer then. Looks like he has the correct sensor for it, so if he has the correct stalk, maybe an adaptation could be in order.