Shortages UK

@Lee

Shortages UK  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK rejoin the Single Market and Customs Union to help alleviate impacts of Brexit?

• Yes
    • No

So, you may or may not have noticed shortages in the supermarkets of dairy goods, alcoholic beverages, water, pet food etc etc.
But, this seems to be a solely UK problem so it can't be just Covid, can it? I mean, the UK has one of the best vaccination rates in the world and has spent something like £37 Billion on its test, track and trace system. The Road Haulage Association estimates that there is a shortage of around 100,000 lorry drivers at the moment. This is having knock-on effects as drivers from one sector take up jobs in another sector such as refuse drivers. 
Then there's the requirement of the IR35 reform 'fuelling the shortage'. Also, from 1st January 2021, drivers from the EU who used to come to the UK to deliver are simply no longer doing so due to requirement of visas and (I think, new cabotage rules). And on top of all that, EU drivers who can currently bring a load from, for example, Greece to the UK will no longer be able to enter the UK using a National ID card alone. They'll need a passport. They will still be able to drive from Greece all the way up to Finland hassle free but not the UK.

But what now? This is, IMHO, completely unsustainable. Would it not be better to just 'align' somehow? Perhaps even apply to join the Single Market and Customs Union? This would solve a lot of issues, including the Northern Ireland protocol, almost overnight. If you do not think the UK should rejoin the SM & CU, which in not the same as being in the EU, perhaps you could rationally and politely explain why not. 

Just a few examples from the past day or so;

Ikea is struggling to supply around 1,000 product lines to UK customers, with Brexit and a shortage of lorry drivers to blame for the disruption.

All 22 stores in the UK are experiencing problems and shoppers have reported some outlets completely running out of mattresses, among other items.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ikea-delivery-issues-shortage-brexit-b1913611.html

Lincolnshire haulage firms are calling on the government to take action amid the lorry driver shortage which is continuing to impact on companies across the UK.

According to a Road Haulage Association survey, there is now a shortage of more than 100,000 drivers in the UK, out of a pre-pandemic total of around 600,000. That number includes tens of thousands of drivers from EU member states who are living and working in the UK.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2021/09/brexit-and-covid-perfect-storm-for-lincolnshire-lorry-driver-shortage/

Consumers have been warned of an autumn rise in living costs from sharp increases in household energy bills and food prices, as Covid and Brexit disruption ripple through the economy.

Sounding the alarm for a wide range of products and services going up in price, business leaders said the UK was facing a “perfect storm” of worker shortages and problems with global supply chains that would lead to a burst of inflation within months.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/03/inflation-set-to-surge-this-autumn-as-brexit-and-covid-combine

GP surgeries are being forced to cancel appointments for the winter flu jab after one of the biggest providers warned that it could not deliver supplies because of a lack of drivers.

Seqirus, the vaccine manufacturer, wrote to clinics yesterday to tell them that deliveries would be delayed by up to two weeks. It said that clinics would receive a “delivery note” seven days before the vaccines were due to arrive, adding: “The delays are linked to unanticipated transportation challenges, including the driver shortages.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plea-to-give-hgv-drivers-visas-as-doctors-run-out-of-flu-jabs-5cbbjs6tw

One of the UK's largest suppliers of seasonal flu vaccines has said there will be a delay in jab deliveries to some GP surgeries due to issues related to a shortage of HGV drivers.

Seqirus, one of the world's largest flu vaccine companies, said it had told customers about delays of up to a fortnight.

The company said it was "working hard to resolve the delay".

NHS England says patients who are affected will be contacted by their GP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58442611

The UK's food supply problems are at risk of getting worse because of additional Brexit red tape which will come into force in a matter of weeks, businesses have warned.

From 1 October, the UK will begin carrying out checks on paperwork that must be pre-completed using a government IT system for hours before the point of entry for imports of meat, dairy, and some other produce from the EU.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/uk-food-supplies-brexit-border-checks-b1914218.html

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/co-op-boss-blames-brexit-and-covid-for-the-worst-food-shortages-hes-ever-seen/

Accolade, the wine giant that makes Hardys, has warned that truck driver shortages could hit the busy festive season and push up costs.

Robert Foye, its boss, said the firm was being hit by external staff shortages, especially among suppliers, in distribution and delivery.

Companies operating in the UK are having to deal with a shortage of lorry drivers.

Firms including Wetherspoons and McDonald's have been affected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58428800

If your first thought upon reading the above is to shout 'Were out, were out, were out' [sic] then please, just don't. Yes, I know the UK has left the EU.

But what now? This is, IMHO, completely unsustainable. Would it not be better to just 'align' somehow? Perhaps even apply to join the Single Market and Customs Union? This would solve a lot of issues, including the Northern Ireland protocol, almost overnight. If you do not think the UK should rejoin the SM & CU, which in not the same as being in the EU, perhaps you could rationally and politely explain why not. 

And let's try to keep things civil. If you have no interest in the topic/ have come just to troll/ throw the topic OT then please, either scroll on by or hit the back button.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

So...   A lorry driver shortage = let's join the Single Market and Customs Union???   Interesting...   But i 'd rather you tell us how the latter two would resolve the former first...

• Like 1

For many people, sadly, Brexit was about getting rid of foreigners.

We succeeded, and now have crippling shortages in areas from HGV to crop picking to social care to hospitality. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Rejoining EFTA - 'soft Brexit' - is arguably what people actually voted for before the vitriol and lies kicked in. That simplifies imports and exports to our major trade partners, and gives a pool of labour we need.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, skomaz said:

So...   A lorry driver shortage = let's join the Single Market and Customs Union???   Interesting...   But i 'd rather you tell us how the latter two would resolve the former first...

Of course in one word. Cabotage. Drivers can then take a wagon full of X to drop off at Y and go on to bring back more from more places. That's just one small example.

Then there's the fact that being in the SM & CU = moving to regulatory alignment so an almost elimination of border checks meaning goods flow in and out faster which equates to fewer shortages in supermarkets and fewer delays for JIT manufacturing.

However, I thought it was me asking the people of Briskoda for their thoughts not vice versa.

As for rejoining anything... dunno. I think I'm almost past caring.

If there was another vote, or similar,  I'd probably ask my kids what they wanted and go with that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Evil said:

Wetherspoons is running out of beer too so.. every cloud..

Yes I saw that. He removed certain beers from the EU but is now facing shortages of Coors and Budweiser. I think I saw him saying that the UK needs to relax rules for foreign workers but don't hold me to that.

EDIT: I didn't imagine that https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wetherspoons-brexit-bars-eu-migration-b1858035.html

One thing about shortages in X is that people will find jobs in another sector (Y) that pays better so the will still be shortages only those shortages will have just shifted from one sector to another 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Evil said:

As for rejoining anything... dunno. I think I'm almost past caring.

If there was another vote, or similar,  I'd probably ask my kids what they wanted and go with that.

This isn't about rejoining the EU just the CU & SM. If only more people thought of what their kids wanted ...

• Like 1

Just now, @Lee said:

This isn't about rejoining the EU just the CU & SM. If only more people thought of what their kids wanted ...

2016 my kids were 19, 16 and 11... not enough had really hit the fan for them to be engaged and the reality of just how screwed, and on their own, they'll be hadn't hit..

Now they're a little older and everything has shifted, it's their future we're putting X's in boxes for.

• Love it! 1

5 minutes ago, Evil said:

2016 my kids were 19, 16 and 11... not enough had really hit the fan for them to be engaged and the reality of just how screwed, and on their own, they'll be hadn't hit..

Now they're a little older and everything has shifted, it's their future we're putting X's in boxes for.

I'm guessing you're in the same kinda demographic as me then (45 -50ish)? 

Nobody born in this century voted for it but they'll be the ones unpicking the pieces.

Anyway, it's done. We are where we are so how best to mitigate the impact?

27 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I'm guessing you're in the same kinda demographic as me then (45 -50ish)? 

Nobody born in this century voted for it but they'll be the ones unpicking the pieces.

Anyway, it's done. We are where we are so how best to mitigate the impact?

Yeah, 55..

As to the latter, zero clue fella... 

Totally at a loss. 

Sure as my **** stinks, though, what's currently happening isn't working. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Of course in one word. Cabotage. Drivers can then take a wagon full of X to drop off at Y and go on to bring back more from more places. That's just one small example.

Then there's the fact that being in the SM & CU = moving to regulatory alignment so an almost elimination of border checks meaning goods flow in and out faster which equates to fewer shortages in supermarkets and fewer delays for JIT manufacturing.

However, I thought it was me asking the people of Briskoda for their thoughts not vice versa.

Cabotage might assist in getting stuff from the EU to the UK as it will allow a seond load from within the EU for HGVs that have done the UK to EU leg but won't assist in terms of getting that stuff distributed within the UK from its initial point of entry / storage...   Which is where most of the distribution issues you linked to are.

So again how does joining the SM and CU solve the UK driver shortage?

Clearly there are issues that are being reported, although personally I've yet to experience them, so all I'm trying to ascertain is exactly how a lack of drivers in the UK will be resolved by joining the SM and CU.

Edited by skomaz
  • Groan 1

And take away the billions certain firms are making in customs clearance (and nearly all these firms are European based ie DHL etc).

Re-joining the Single Market would make UK to EU and EU to UK deliveries much cheaper, quicker and efficient and not let the UK believe it has effective borders !

BREXIT is only in stage one ie the customs formalities.

Stages 2 and 3 are coming up ie Phyto-Sanitary checks and implementation of a proper security declaration in the UK which are both due in the next few months.

And then there is the implementation of the new and much more complex Customs Declaration Service in the next 12 months where entries require much more info.

BREXIT, the UK has barely started with the nightmare journey, we have several chapters to go yet, ask Northern Ireland people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, @Lee said:

So, you may or may not have noticed shortages in the supermarkets of dairy goods, alcoholic beverages, water, pet food etc etc.

I have been in the UK for the last few weeks aside from making a couple of return removal runs to France.

I did not see any empty shelves or shortages before when the papers were claiming there were and having returned a few days ago after 6 days away I still havn't aside from many shops are not restocking the shelves during the day like they used to.

My whole village was without water for several days when I was quarantining on the first visit but I am fairly sure that was not Brexit related, water shortages? - Seriously?

Mind you if the distribution companies short of drivers decided to deliver food to supermarkets instead of bottled water then that would have been a very sensible decision and one that they can continue with, likewise pet food and alcoholic beverages, maybe they are simply prioritising?

I would not have noticed if the bottled water, pet food or alcohol shelves were empty, there were no shortages of dairy products.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

I see Tim Martin is blaming his beer shortage on industrial action by lorry drivers - that never happened. 

To be fair we've had no problems with food supply either. Yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evil said:

I see Tim Martin is blaming his beer shortage on industrial action by lorry drivers - that never happened. 

To be fair we've had no problems with food supply either. Yet. 

I'm all out of harps to play for Tim. 

He got exactly what he wanted, yet still isn't happy. 

Can see him being removed as chairman/ceo fairly soon

• Like 2

"Schadenfreude is a compound of the German nouns Schaden, meaning "damage" or "harm," and Freude, meaning "joy," so it makes sense that schadenfreude means joy over some harm or misfortune suffered by another."

Source Merriam-Webster dictionary, their bold text not mine.

49 minutes ago, J.R. said:

"Schadenfreude is a compound of the German nouns Schaden, meaning "damage" or "harm," and Freude, meaning "joy," so it makes sense that schadenfreude means joy over some harm or misfortune suffered by another."

Source Merriam-Webster dictionary, their bold text not mine.

Tim Martin is reaping what he's sown, the odious pile.. 

There is no pleasure in the unnecessary suffering of the innocent. 

But if you intentionally shoot yourself in the foot and then blame your neighbour for the pain, sympathy will be in short supply. 

• Like 3

The quote was not referring to Tim Martin, I left it deliberately vague, it could have been posted at any time in this topic, it was just by chance that it was after your posting, in fact they overlapped.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The quote was not referring to Tim Martin, I left it deliberately vague, it could have been posted at any time in this topic, it was just by chance that it was after your posting, in fact they overlapped.

I don't think anyone enjoys what we are seeing. 

But it was not unforseen. 

As with Covid deniers, sometimes people need to experience something before they believe something is more than nonsense. 

That's basically where we are now. 

The voices already raising the alarm over supplies for Christmas are quite stark - and many from supporters of this. 

Turkey's being a prime example. Not as many have been raised due to issues earlier this year with supply and labour shortages. So there will be less in stores in December. 

Many producers are further warning that with less staff to pluck, many of the turkeys which were raised won't be ready and end up as let food next year as too big/old for food grade. 

There are many other examples which some will find uncomfortable as can no longer explain away with excuses other than what's lead us here. 

Edited by gadgetman
Typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Mind you if the distribution companies short of drivers decided to deliver food to supermarkets instead of bottled water then that would have been a very sensible decision and one that they can continue with, likewise pet food and alcoholic beverages, maybe they are simply prioritising?

Sorry, what? Prioritising? So it's gone from 'let's fund our NHS instead' to 'let's prioritise food supplies'? 
From my opening statement "So, you may or may not have noticed shortages in the supermarkets of dairy goods, alcoholic beverages, water, pet food etc etc."

And it's nothing to do with 'schadenfreude'. No matter how 'vague' you think your comment was. 

There is no shortage of unemployed or even unemployable adults in the UK. 

Each Government Minister from which ever department says that UK businesses need to train / employ those that are available.

There is a World Wide pandemic and issues with training and getting people working but there are enough unemployed people qualified to be Trainers & Examiners to get working PDQ if the Government bothers to get things moving and not just talk about it.

No real help in the next year or 3 though.  There are employees leaving all sorts of commerce & industry in the UK as they want a better Work Life Balance and want others 

to do the low paid and hard work. 

They mean Economic Migrants.

PS

Issue with Overseas Drivers working in the UK and UK ones, not ones coming and going with deliveries but based in the UK and self employed is the IR35 and the changes.  Being Self Employed stopped being economically viable.

Many in many industries have gone back to PAYE and becoming employees of others or just giving up what ever they did, and going home or retiring or leaving full time employment etc.

This includes many that work In Oil & Gas in the UK and Offshore. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

If you do not think the UK should rejoin the SM & CU, which is not the same as being in the EU, perhaps you could rationally and politely explain why not. 

Perhaps the three people who voted no so far would like to answer? 

Edited by @Lee
  • Haha 1