Change to 18" Gemini from 19" extreme alloys.

Hi all. I have just purchased a VRS estate 2018. It came with 19" Extreme alloys with Pirelli tyres 225/25.

I love the car and the look of the alloys but am considering buying some 18" Geminis and putting 225/40's on them to hopefully help the ride. I will be doing lots of A and B road, so quite rural driving and am hoping that the 18" will help with the ride and make them less susceptible to pot holes/bad roads. If I do then I may sell on the 19's. 

Would this help the ride? I know the other option could be to stick with the 19's and go with 235/35's instead but I some how prefer the slightly smaller rims. Any thoughts or experience of doing this much appreciated?

I am a new member and new to Skoda so please go easy on me :-).

1 hour ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Would this help the ride?

Well, I make it that the 19" wheels have a tyre wall height of only 56.25mm, and the 18s 82mm, which says that your tyre walls are going to be 1.45 times higher. I'd expect that to make a difference, yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Would this help the ride?

Yes it will help the ride but you could also do a bit of research on tyres as some are good at taking the edge off the harshness of the suspension. I have PS4Ss on another car known for hard suspension and it made a big difference to the Pirellis that came off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Yes it will help the ride but you could also do a bit of research on tyres as some are good at taking the edge off the harshness of the suspension. I have PS4Ss on another car known for hard suspension and it made a big difference to the Pirellis that came off.

Thanks, that's helpful. In fact I'm just speccing tyres to go with the 18's I'm about to order. I was looking at Michelin Cross climates, given I do drive on some untreated roads during the winter months? They seem to have good reviews.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Well, I make it that the 19" wheels have a tyre wall height of only 56.25mm, and the 18s 82mm, which says that your tyre walls are going to be 1.45 times higher. I'd expect that to make a difference, yes.

The difference should be nowhere near that big, unless he really has out of spec 225/25/19 tyres on it which I very much doubt.

225/35/19 to 225/40/18 is going be a 10 or 11mm difference in sidewall height.

Still a noticeable change but nothing like 25mm.

16 minutes ago, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Thanks guys, the car came with 225/25/19's. So are they not correct then (for the 19" Extremes)?

No, they should be 225/35/19.

I'm not surprised the ride is dreadful if someone has fitted 225/25/19s to it.

Edit - as an aside, if it really has 225/25/19s on it, your speedo is probably wildly out of kilter too, probably reading a good 5 or 6 mph off what it should be (albeit in this case, you're probably going slower in reality than your speedo is telling you).

Edit 2 - are you sure they're 25 profile? Having just looked to see how hilariously expensive they must have been, you can't actually buy 225/25/19 tyres from places like blackcircles or camskill, so I suspect in reality you have the 225/35/19s you're supposed to have.

Edited by Kenai

Just now, BERKSHIREVRS said:

Ah, okay. Thanks, that's really helpful. Perhaps I'll try 225/35/19 before I consider changing the alloys.

See my second edit - i'd be amazed if you have 25 profile tyres on there.

In which case, a change to 225/40/18 will yield a slightly taller sidewall and provide a minor comfort increase but don't expect miracles - the ride in a vRS is going to be harsh unless you throw buckets of cash at the suspension.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, hence the check.

I had 16" winter wheels on 320mm, so there''s a possibility that 17" might fit on 340mm.

These threads suggests 17 might be an option, you just have to be careful which alloys you pick and use slim wheel weights.

That's exactly what I had on the 16" winters and even with all the winter crud I never had an issue.

That plus 17" tyres are usually a lot cheaper than 18" tyres, so another bonus.

Where about in Berkshire are you. I have a set of seat 18s (dame spec as vrs 18s) with nearly new tyres fitted that you are welcome to try out. I'm in Basingstoke.

Also welcome to make me an offer but looks like you'll be wanting OEM look.

Tyres fitted are Goodyear efficient grip performance for reference. Kind of one step down from eagle f1 (...ish).

You won't get a lot of difference swapping to 18s. I am not being funny when I say this but is the VRS the correct model Octavia if the ride is too harsh for you? Perhaps a model with softer suspension might be better? Any car with sports suspension will be firm but I don't find mine too bad over bumps with the 19s and Goodyears Asy 5 fitted. Hopefully you will find a solution that meets your needs 👍

3 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Where about in Berkshire are you. I have a set of seat 18s (dame spec as vrs 18s) with nearly new tyres fitted that you are welcome to try out. I'm in Basingstoke.

Also welcome to make me an offer but looks like you'll be wanting OEM look.

Tyres fitted are Goodyear efficient grip performance for reference. Kind of one step down from eagle f1 (...ish).

Thanks Mark, not too far from you. From the other posts it sounds like 18's wont make too much difference but I appreciate the offer. Might be interesting to see the difference all the same 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

On 18 I’d agree, not so much on 17”.

I say that as I went 18/16 for summer winter and the difference was night and day.

I'd be really interested to find a set of alloys that definitely fit/clear the calipers.. I take it most are very close and at best require slim weights. 

2 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

You won't get a lot of difference swapping to 18s. I am not being funny when I say this but is the VRS the correct model Octavia if the ride is too harsh for you? Perhaps a model with softer suspension might be better? Any car with sports suspension will be firm but I don't find mine too bad over bumps with the 19s and Goodyears Asy 5 fitted. Hopefully you will find a solution that meets your needs 👍

Thanks Matt, and no offence taken.  I love the car already, I just drive on some pretty bad roads and do a fair few miles, it's not so much the ride, although I'm still getting used to to the firmness, but the idea of fairly regularly getting flats from potholes etc on our wonderful roads. If i could find some decent 17" wheels that definitely fit and might give more protection that would be ideal.