Mk1 Octavia VRS Estate

Endoof

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Endoof said:

So after doing some digging and according to some chaps over on audizine the 18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30, Voltage too low code is apparently down to disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, something about the ecu detecting the loss of power and therefore throwing a code?

Correct. 👍🏻

21 hours ago, Endoof said:

So after doing some digging and according to some chaps over on audizine the 18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30, Voltage too low code is apparently down to disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, something about the ecu detecting the loss of power and therefore throwing a code? 

Makes sense as i took the top hose off the DV last week for some chu chu noises for the lols, it threw a CEL and i disconnected and reconnected the battery. 

Just for anyone in future who gets the same code come up on a scan.

I'll plug mine in, see what gives.. replaced the battery the other day.. the missus' Mk2 threw codes after disconnecting the battery, just had to drive the thing to get rid of them.

So, Oil filters arrived, just waiting on the sump plug and washer now aswell as a new gasket for the throttle body clean this weekend. 

Pic of filter below for reference : 

IMG20210922175006.thumb.jpg.3b60e7e445c8361c8226dd1c6e7e88ed.jpg

Unfortunately the oil change is going to have to wait until next weekend now as this weekend seems to have filled itself up with busyness rather quickly. 

On another note, ticked over to 135,000 miles today, barely just run in eh!

IMG20210924075850.thumb.jpg.7544d851c0fefe2afbfffb2ad78539e7.jpg

Comparing the car now to when i purchased it in Blackburn it seems to be driving way way smoother than what it did a week an half ago, whether that's down to only putting 98/99 octane fuel in it or it just being driven with a bit of agro i don't know, but it does feel a lot nicer.

Hopefully over the next couple of weeks i'll be hoping to get my hands on one of them fancy touch screen double din things to put in place of the cassette player the one ive found comes with an aerial/gps thing so will come automatically with google maps (be nice) aswell as spotify, DAB radio, bluetooth, usb all the bells and whistles... Best part about it? its only £76.00!!! Them Chinese really know how to produce value for money lol. Link to the one i'm looking to get below 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303094925953?hash=item4691dd8a81:g:fnkAAOSwxMVfJ9dh

Going to have to take the rear passenger door card off aswell at some point in the coming days, when i bought the car it could open from the inside and out, the only issue was the window, but now the inside door handle does nothing, the window keeps sliding down and whenever i use the up/down button i can hear like a crunching noise underneath the motor?? I think the glass has been smashed before and the current window is bodged in there somehow with stuff holding it up, safe to say im sh**ing myself to see what lies beneath. 

Also picked up a can of Black Magic paint and clearcoat from Halfrauds, going to have a crack at reparing the rust on the bottom of drivers door aswell as painting the spoiler. 

Feels nice to get my teeth stuck into a car after a 5 year hiatus of being sensible haha, ohwell, will update when more updates arrive!

Ciao.

Last week of September, absolutely crazy eh.. 

Anyway so despite the busy weekend i managed to get something done at least, i.e clean out the throttle body, turns out it really is a sub 30 min job.

IMG20210925120948.thumb.jpg.dd1de774a929528568c9ab51b869feb3.jpg

Nice and easy, undo jubo clip holding the hose onto the TB, think it was like an 8mm socket iirc and boom you've got one side of it.. 

Looking at it from this side i really didn't think it was too bad, cleaned it up using a cloth, some ear buds and a spray bottle of carb cleaner but apart from the coked up area around the actual throttle plate i thought it was surprisingly clean. 

Moved on to taking out the allen bolts, think they were 5mm, to reveal the other side and mother of god it was awful 

IMG20210925122105.thumb.jpg.0e3b609588ab78f1ba7b370da45a4b28.jpg

Look at the state of that, safe to say i figured this was part of if not all the reason to the jerky throttle response and hesitation. 

i did make sure not to unplug it as i don't have easy access to VCDS to re-calibrate it.. i know people say that just leave the key in position 1 or something to reset it but id rather not take the risk seeing as this cars my daily. 

Cleaned it all up, above is before, below is after 

IMG20210925122821.thumb.jpg.2a9b72ff425c0a1d144f4e75d8594082.jpg

Did it the best i could and i think i did a pretty good job considering the state of it before hand. 

Cleaned up both of the mating faces on the TB and Intake mani and sandwiched a fresh gasket between them to call it a job done

IMG20210925123213.thumb.jpg.95d57bf28d80f862b831bf5c4155c74e.jpg

All in all, easy job to do and just as abit of maintenance i'd highly advise doing it. 

The result? The car really does feel like it picks up better and generally just feels more alive, especially in the lower rev range the pick up seems stronger and when motoring around in low revs theres no judder, no hesitation and the overall driving experience is much much smoother.

A must do job for anyone who hasn't done it, i did think it was a placebo effect and that it would wear off at the start but its been 2/3 days now and i'm still amazed at the result you can get for the sake of £10.00 (Carb cleaner from halfords and a gasket)

Gasket i got was a Febi - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174087885784

Cleaner i got was - https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/carlube-carb-and-air-intake-cleaner-247638.html

Cheers!

• Like 2

Need to clean mine really... don't really have related issues but I'm working through everything...

Want to investigate this recalibration thing, prefer doing things off the car... out in the road I get accosted by neighbours. They're elderly and can chat for ages. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/09/2021 at 11:23, Evil said:

Need to clean mine really... don't really have related issues but I'm working through everything...

Want to investigate this recalibration thing, prefer doing things off the car... out in the road I get accosted by neighbours. They're elderly and can chat for ages. 

Issues or not i'm sure you'll notice some sort of difference as to how the car runs, still baffles me lol

On another note, i did a buy....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265172679428 

&

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160356836986

Cant wait to get this in, sick to death of listening to the radio, all they do is talk crap around irrelevant things. 

Somewhat of a redeeming factor to the day seeing as a Pidgeon carpet bombed the car..... 😑

2 hours ago, Endoof said:

Issues or not i'm sure you'll notice some sort of difference as to how the car runs, still baffles me lol

On another note, i did a buy....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265172679428 

&

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160356836986

Cant wait to get this in, sick to death of listening to the radio, all they do is talk crap around irrelevant things. 

Somewhat of a redeeming factor to the day seeing as a Pidgeon carpet bombed the car..... 😑

I jammed a double din cage in mine, as is the norm, and the head unit keeps creeping out. 

Not by much but creep out it does. 

Needs sorting. Not really sure how to fix it yet. 

Be interested in how you get on with the Chinesium Android unit, in my experience they are better than their cost might suggest... 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Evil said:

I jammed a double din cage in mine, as is the norm, and the head unit keeps creeping out. 

Not by much but creep out it does. 

Needs sorting. Not really sure how to fix it yet. 

Did you fix the cage in using the tabs? Radio then shouldn't move if it's clipped in.

Side note: moving to projecta area.

12 minutes ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

Did you fix the cage in using the tabs? Radio then shouldn't move if it's clipped in.

Side note: moving to projecta area.

Nowhere for the tabs to go.... It's almost a solid black plastic sleeve in there. 

• Like 1

So here it goes, installing a chinesium double din touch screen head unit, by someone with no auto electronics experience.... atall

Welcome to Jackass. 😂

So on saturday i fitted the head unit which turned out to be alot more of a nightmare than it was supposed to be. 

pic of said head unit 

IMG20211002120653.thumb.jpg.37fc21ee65a1447028d1efa66750af05.jpg

For starters, the headunit came with no harness adapter to join it up to the skoda loom, so a trip to halfords saw me buying a connect2 harness. 

IMG20211002120436.thumb.jpg.6df2517f3bc11abc85b35f0b99f65df0.jpg

Happy days. 

went to get the headunit in, went to connect up the harness adapter, turns out that the headunit hasnt got ISO connections on the back.... great. 

IMG20211002123145.thumb.jpg.5e308c72672b51ba47d418f6199b991e.jpg

Now i've never done one single bit of auto electronics and i didnt know anyone who had so the only alternative was to take a punt, chop up this harness and wire it up one by one, i had no idea what i was doing, the below is what i was having to work my way around. 

IMG20211002120450.thumb.jpg.0e0f615d09ea1d1526485f04900e09f4.jpg

cut off the plug on the head unit side to start with 

IMG20211002123130.thumb.jpg.560081ccb153fefc7327b846287fd0fe.jpg

got left with the 2 separate plugs for the loom side 

IMG20211002123137.thumb.jpg.e7e6e0ed070d7dbd79c7654333c76b85.jpg

IMG20211002123132.thumb.jpg.62266556eb2abd516626c36d10a8555e.jpg

Now, thinking wires are just wires i decided to go about just matching up each individual wire to their corresponding colour on either side of the adapter im making. 

First one done.

IMG20211002122401.thumb.jpg.09e6006b8e840c2f0a62badb7595fc29.jpg

Seemed to be easy enough apart from the strands of copper in my mouth, so i continued.

IMG20211002124238.thumb.jpg.90dae759064d306b0c641aa750baf7d4.jpg

i did this for all of the wires following, bit by bit finding out which did what, turns out grey, purple, green and white all relate to the speakers.

tidied them up best i could given the lack of material and tools i had (please dont shoot me for the lack of heatshrink) 

IMG20211002125028.thumb.jpg.619bcd5f6e53f997eb80d04350c825b6.jpg

i carried this on with the other side aswell with the power, ground, switch live etc etc. 

hey presto... it works!

IMG20211002154000.thumb.jpg.b6a8db93af08ca503573fe7c7d70f1a4.jpg

The above pic is the finished product, i will mention however the cage i got from connect2 was way way too small for the head unit, i ended up drilling out the rivets, re bending it with a pair of pliers and sticking it back in, thankfully its properly jammed in there and isnt going to be moving about any time soon and the same goes for the screen too, i'm yet to hook up the radio atenna, GPS antenna or wire up the USB ports but for now i've downloaded spotify and its doing me just nicely.

There were a few wires i didnt need for one reason or another, such as the below

IMG20211002121455.thumb.jpg.dd9aab9f57fed11bb1c8b08570f29edb.jpg

But i think they might be for an amp and sub? if someone can let me know thatll be grand. 

Apart from it being a little bit slow (not in an annoying way, just compared to the mobile phones of today worth £500+) its perfectly fine and for the sake of just shy of £100, the quality of life has improved tenfold. 

would 100% advise this mod to bring your car into the modern era. 

I am going to look into splicing into the OBD port and downloading that Torque something app for live data readings, i think it'll be a nice touch to have aswell as getting a dongle fitted to one of the usb ports so i can have a consistent data connection. 

Still trying to find time to sort out my topmounts however lol. 

***and breathe***

until next time🤙

• Like 4

Looks like a job well done fella.... 

You shouldn't need to splice into the obd port, an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter (double check that - it's been a while) should connect to the Torque app on your head unit - I'm assuming it has Bluetooth.. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 17:35, Evil said:

Looks like a job well done fella.... 

You shouldn't need to splice into the obd port, an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter (double check that - it's been a while) should connect to the Torque app on your head unit - I'm assuming it has Bluetooth.. 

Cheers Evil 🤙

Ah yeah, good point, forgot about those bluetooth ones, i've had a quick look and they seem cheap enough. 

On another note however, approaching the car from a distance the other day and noticed the below, held to the car with cable ties.. 

(pics below)

Q1. What is this for? 
Q2. Im gonna assume this isn't meant to be in this location, so where is it supposed to go? because that's waiting to be damaged by something 

IMG20211012083858.thumb.jpg.6ee28a880f234e9658b275d313012030.jpg

IMG20211012083859.thumb.jpg.990d41c739b1130088b1bfd1c29a682e.jpg

Thanks in advance

(p.s, still not got the topmounts in lol)

1 minute ago, Endoof said:

Should it be held up with cable ties? 😂

Well they aren't usually but they do sometimes dangle a bit, previous keeper may have been worried it was hanging too low? ... as long as it's not affecting the function I see no issue tbh. 

Could always cut it loose and see... if it's too low, re cable tie it.

It looks like the previous owner couldn't be bothered to redo the clip behind where the cable tie is there or said clip can no longer fasten. Try redoing that clip and you won't need the cable tie if it stays shut.

On 12/10/2021 at 21:27, HeavyMetalRich said:

It looks like the previous owner couldn't be bothered to redo the clip behind where the cable tie is there or said clip can no longer fasten. Try redoing that clip and you won't need the cable tie if it stays shut.

I shall have a look into this!

Also, why do 20v's always  s t i n k  after you've been driving it spiritedly???? its not an issue, but they always seem to smell of something and i cant quite put my finger on it lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Endoof said:

Also, why do 20v's always  s t i n k  after you've been driving it spiritedly???? its not an issue, but they always seem to smell of something and i cant quite put my finger on it lol

Mine doesn't... should I be concerned?

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 14/10/2021 at 11:47, Endoof said:

You sure it's not the clutch.. 😆

On 14/10/2021 at 12:08, Evil said:

Mine doesn't... should I be concerned?

Neither of mine do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

You sure it's not the clutch.. 😆

Neither of mine do.

Dont think itd be the clutch, its always when im bombing it and winding out the engine lol. 

Tbf, i dont think its experienced it before and all the dirt and grime on the manifold and turbo burning off could be a factor i suppose lol, but yeah, its not like a nasty smell, just smells like a hot musty smell,  its weird and i had the same think on my mk2's 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a few weeks, not really had a chance to do anything on the Octi due to the weather and being busy all the time, however since the poor weather is arriving a bit more often i've noticed the passenger side rear footwell is getting soaked... I've checked the window and the seat (which is bone dry) so it doesnt seem to be the window letting in water so im puzzled, had a look under the car and saw something which i think might cause it but i'm not sure, can someone have a look at the below pics and give me abit of insight into what i can do to sort this? 

Carpet 

IMG20211031165302.thumb.jpg.7df6c7ceabd1049bc874516922a05e24.jpg

Under carpet and sound deadening

IMG20211031165322.thumb.jpg.bee493c79df5cd02744ac341c342231a.jpg

Same again 

IMG20211031165329.thumb.jpg.70c78c85a244be1fb5d4ea1b453ba41a.jpg

Saw this under the car and where i imagine to be directly under the rear passenger footwell 

IMG20211031165505.thumb.jpg.db8ca5df2e5728c40c4b54238f915f86.jpg

IMG20211031165443.thumb.jpg.ec5627564554e52eaf05a0ae9be4888b.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!!!

• Sad 1

• Administrators

I reckon the door sill and it’s creating a puddle on the bottom of the door and trickling down.

So, get a bucket or hose. Sit in the car and get someone to poor water until you see it coming in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

So, get a bucket or hose. Sit in the car and get someone to poor water until you see it coming in. 

+1 on this. :thumbup:

This method was great for finding the leaking vent in the spare wheel well of my Fabia.

• Like 1