Diesel Jerry Can OK to use for Petrol?

Ooopnorth

I've got a green 25 Litre metal Jerry can (you know the sort) and previously it contained diesel.  Would it be okay to use for petrol now, or would the diesel residue cause contamination to the petrol and create trouble for the fuel system in the petrol car? I've read about swilling the diesel out with a bit of petrol first.  Anyone tried this, or have a better means of cleaning? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Ooopnorth said:

25 Litre metal Jerry can (you know the sort) and previously it contained diesel.  Would it be okay to use for petrol now,

NO!! You should never fill a can over 10l capacity with petrol, and most garages won't let you because it breaks the Petroleum Regulations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

NO!! You should never fill a can over 10l capacity with petrol, and most garages won't let you because it breaks the Petroleum Regulations.

Well, I'm glad I posted that question as I was completely ignorant of the rulings! Thanks...phew.  Well, problem solved, albeit differently from original intention.

Odd though that you are able to continue to buy metal, 20 litre Jerry Cans at Halfords   https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/breakdown-essentials/halfords-20l-jerry-can-with-screw-cap-for-fuel---green-476094.html and other stores.  Mind you, having a 1200 litre, metal, kerosene tank at home for domestic fuel does rather put it all into perspective. 

EDIT Ah...further info.  You CAN (no pun intended) store petrol in a metal, jerry can, with a capacity of up to 20 litres https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm  

"What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

• plastic containers storing up to 10 litres
  • metal containers storing up to 20 litres
  • demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres

Suitable portable containers are defined in Schedule 2 (para 6) and Schedule 3 of the regulations. UN approved containers are an example of such containers.

More detailed information on portable petrol storage containers (PDF) is available."  The PDF link is useful.  Should say, my can is 20 litres not 25 as originally stated above. 

Now I feel better :)

Edited by Ooopnorth
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, KenONeill said:

BS.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

It certainly is not BS that there are filling station staff that will stop the pump if they see you using a container they think is not a petrol can or is bigger than 10 litres.

Someone must have told them not to allow it.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

Famously a Government minister talked BS in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17545258

Weird how official info changes from what it has shown for years other places.

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 20.06.06.png

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 20.12.52.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

No mention was made of whether it was a plastic or metal can or even a plastic carrier bag as seen on one Youtube video.

It is BS to say that filling a can over 10l breaks the Petroleum Regulations (which are about storage in any case to be pedantic) it is perfectly legal to fill, to transport and to store a 20 litre metal jerrycan with petrol.

• Like 1

I've never had any issues with filling my 20 litre (metal) can of petrol/diesel at a garage.  In fact, my local village garage is not self-service, and last year the guy working there filled the jerry can with unleaded (for my lawn mower).  Maybe it's just in Scotland that it's an issue?

So, to confirm.  Filling a 20 litre (or larger) metal can (purposely built for the job and labelled correctly) with up to 20 litres  is perfectly legal and to keep it at home, as well as, for example, filling another 20 litre metal can, also to keep at home, but only filling the latter  half full (or any combination of cans, up to 30 litres in total) :) !

Should add, my understand is that its better to fill a can if possible, rather than have empty, fume filled space.

Edited by Ooopnorth

49 minutes ago, Ooopnorth said:

my understand is that its better to fill a can if possible, rather than have empty, fume filled space.

Well, that tells me that your knowledge of storing volatile liquids is less than zero!

Ah, you've really made me chuckle.  Thank you.  I always find it amusing when the pompous, self-important and  self-righteous find their indignation so piqued that they utter such nonsensical dribble as "...(bluster, waffle...) less than zero!".  And an exclamation mark to boot - priceless :)

Nighty Night - enjoy your cocoa.

• Like 2

I still can't quite get my head around knowledge that is less than zero 🤔

I've a nicely weathered jerry can that it my time has had diesel, petrol, two-stroke and paraffin in it, with no adverse effects.  It's a great can, very useful.  Inherited it (well stole it really) from my Dad, and knowing him I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's had tea, coffee, squash or god knows what else in it in its lifetime.  Certainly wouldn't trouble me switching it between contents of diesel or petrol.

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People warn about Venting Petrol cars and then not using the extra fuel added and then leaving to sit through heat and cold cycles and pressure changes and the expansion risk.

Exactly the same applies with 'filling / brimming' or near brimming unvented containers with fuel.

Especially decades old metal containers, sometimes older than those that are going to be keeping petrol in them.

There are some right rusty inside crap Jerry or Petrol cans about.

Especially ones that had more hygroscopic fuel in them like non Winter Grade Petrol or Diesel for a long time.

Sealed cans should not get condensation inside, but open ones with petroleum ones stored and it can be surprising how much H20 can be in there.

Be aware that E10 petrol as sold now in the UK is quite hygroscopic and not great to store for long.

Brace yourself, but this will not hurt!

rsz_dsci0103.jpg.68649de87e4500af04402ddd18d7b232.jpg.365b845517ced893e96cf978ef6ce8b6.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

I remember 20 years ago during a fuel crisis in Birmingham; some clown taxi driver stored petrol in 3 x large black council dustbins in his basement without a lid (not that a lid would have helped!)

The local council demolished 3 or 4 houses either side of his :)

24 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

3 x large black council dustbins in his basement without a lid (not that a lid would have helped!)

The local council demolished 3 or 4 houses either side of his

Before or after the petrol dissolved the bins?