Gloss black B pillars

The B pillars on the side of the car that face the sun when parked on the drive (which it's done a lot since I've been working from home) get in a right state. After a trip to the car wash this morning they were worse than ever and I thought beyond repair. Fortunately a bit of polish has restored some of the gloss (for now) and they don't look too terrible. Does anyone know what's the best products are to repair AND protect these? Anyone have similar issues?

IMG_20210925_140706.jpg

IMG_20210925_143833.jpg

15 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Eh, wow. How are you washing these and the car in general? Mine don’t look anything like that after 4 and a bit years. 

I take it to the local hand car wash I'm ashamed to say! I don't think it's the washing necessarily, it's the sun that does it. The pillars on the other side of the car are fine. Car is a 63 plate and it's only the last couple of years it's been a problem.

2 minutes ago, GWoodhouse said:

I take it to the local hand car wash I'm ashamed to say! I don't think it's the washing necessarily, it's the sun that does it. The pillars on the other side of the car are fine. Car is a 63 plate and it's only the last couple of years it's been a problem.

My suspicion is your wash place is using something pretty strong as a pre-wash and it’s knackering the finish. 

• Like 1

Repair wise, multi stage machine polish to bring the finish back . . 

Protection wise a ceramic coating or ppf would be the best way to go.

👍

As said somewhere above, it's most likely from the local hand carwash. . Looking at the first picture it looks like chemical etching. . 

The tfr they spray on the car when you initially drive in is no doubt far too strong (makes there lives easier getting muck off the car easy). . If your cars been stood in the sun the black trim will be HOT no doubt. . Spraying at tfr onto hot paint will just cause it to flash off and leave behind the etching from the chemical.

Edited by vrs'burks

50 minutes ago, OldAndyMac said:

I just used some Meguiars Ultimate Compound by hand, didnt need the machine. Then just add a decent wax or sealant - nothing fancy or complicated needed. Came up shiny and have stayed that way even in QLD sunshine.

I have done exactly the same on mine, did the drivers side roughly a week before i got round to doing the passenger side and it really stood out every time i looked at the car

As said above, it must be sun degradation. My driver's side ones needed to be compounded and polished a few weeks ago to try and improve their appearance. They've been waxed as well just to try and keep them in good nick.

Despite not driving as often, I'm still washing the car quite often. Foamed and hand washed on each occasion.

https://amzn.to/3COQIh5

Great for bringing back shine and also contains a UV blocker. It's used on boats kept in the sun, so should manage a car ok. I swear by it on my boat hull and seats. It also worked great on the black plastic of my jetski.

HTH, Nick

Edited by NikTheGeek