Average consumption 1

YetiSteve19

My display average consumption 1 has suddenly started fluctuating nearly as much as the real time consumption.

It also seems to be more ambitious than it used to be. I have seen a figure of 68mpg  !

Previously it was reasonably stable and would update less often.

Is the frequency of calculating the average adjustable ?

On my Focus my apparently low mpg was put down to my not resetting the milage trip!

I left it with the dealer for a couple of minor jobs and when returned the mpg was much better

That is what happens when you top up your tank with less than 5 litres to a full tank, it will have adjusted the average according to the miles you have driven, speed throttle opening etc but the fuel sender will still be registering a full tank and does not realise that it has been topped up.

I am sure that a lot of people in the UK will be experiencing this phenomenon at present for the first time :sadsmile:

I discovered this when I had a 1000km plus overnight journey to make, I brimmed at the  fuel station and when I got home topped off from a jerrycan after the foam had settled to give me the maximum range to hopefully get to the destination without stopping to refuel.

Edited by J.R.

If 45 litres of fuel can take the car nearly 680 miles then that is wonderful,

or if the range is an 'Average of 680 miles' from every 10 gallons used then that is wonderful, 

but if the Average being shown is 68 mph and that is the top figure being achieved then it is not an 'Average' it is the Max, so what is the Minimum. 

Just a thought but how old is the battery? Over the years there have been many reports of strange behaviours from the various displays that have turned out to be the early signs of a failing battery - in my case it was an air bag warning and and another one I didn't even understand! My battery was eight years old and since replacing it  I've had no more warnings. (The tech at the garage did tell me there were " loads of" false error codes recorded on the system).

On 28/09/2021 at 20:20, J.R. said:

That is what happens when you top up your tank with less than 5 litres to a full tank, it will have adjusted the average according to the miles you have driven, speed throttle opening etc but the fuel sender will still be registering a full tank and does not realise that it has been topped up.

I am sure that a lot of people in the UK will be experiencing this phenomenon at present for the first time :sadsmile:

I discovered this when I had a 1000km plus overnight journey to make, I brimmed at the  fuel station and when I got home topped off from a jerrycan after the foam had settled to give me the maximum range to hopefully get to the destination without stopping to refuel.

Doesn't apply.

I hadn't put fuel in and I have never "topped up".