New Member hoping for advice

Vanwin

Hello Wino, yesterday before starting it was 13. Wavered slightly up and down  but not below twelve something.

which is very strange after battery let me dow couple if weeks ago.

And I am still doing only a couple of miles a day, between one and 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, Vanwin said:

Hello Wino, yesterday before starting it was 13. Wavered slightly up and down  but not below twelve something.

Ok, the alternator is definitely putting some charge back into the battery then.

KenONeill: That is good then, thank you.

Maybe I will never know for sure why it happened that I had the flat battery, maybe it really was the low mileage. Or something like a loose connection before the local garage charged it up and checked that part of the system.

At least I have friends here in the future, and more likely I will keep the car.

Vanessa

Keep checking it each time you get in the car, before starting the engine (or even putting the keys in the ignition).  If the numbers are always above 12.2 say, and stay consistent from one day to the next, things are OK.

If you see a downwards trend in the voltages from one day to the next for a few days, and it looks like it will dip below 12.0, try to do a journey of a few more miles to give it a bit more charging time.   

• Like 1

WINO: I certainly will do that, great advice. I didn't know these gadgets existed, guess I am living in the past. I am so glad I found this website and all you wonderful men. It has een been saying 14 again today despite low mileage. As you say, I don't mind doing miles when necessary as I had visions of having to do it must to be on the safe side. 
Now though, only when its needed - I do not mind doing that.

I was looking at solar trickle chargers but there is a tall fence where I have to park with car not pointing south so that will not help.

11 hours ago, Vanwin said:

I was looking at solar trickle chargers

They're colloquially called "solar panels" (and indeed work better in direct sunlight), but are more correctly called "photo-voltaic panels". The point is that they generate some current any time it's light out, or even under a street light, rather than just when the sun shines directly on them.

Thanks Ken,  I should look up Reviews to find out if they are any good.

It seems a good idea in principle but who knows?

Kind if you to take the time, which I always appreciate.

vw