Can I change from 18" wheels to 16" wheels?

cestrian

My 2021 Kamiq sel auto has 18" wheels. I would like to change to 16" wheels but on querying my local dealer I was told that this was not possible. I am beginning to think there may have been a misunderstanding of my question as it looks like there is a 16" space saver wheel and an online alloy wheel merchant tells me 'yes you can fit 16" wheels'. So can anyone please tell me if it is possible to do this change?

Welcome.

Who you ask at a dealership matter.  (Asking local drug dealers might be better as they can get you wheels in any size or know someone that can.)

Asking someone at Skoda Dealership needs someone that knows about cars, so not a salesperson, service desk or parts person.  maybe ask a tech.

The Car Valeter or the cleaner in the showroom likely knows more about wheels.

There answer might not be about what you can do, or what fits, but the 'Official Line',    Car type approved for this size or that, emissions / VED etc etc.

Look at the size that the Owners Manual says is the size that Snow Chains can be used on.  

That is an Approved Size.

If your Spare fits then you know the issue is not the size of the brakes.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/485362-kamiq-all-season-tyres

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/488988-ride-quality-18"-and-17"-wheels

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/474398-1965r15-tyres

Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 12.05.44.png

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

The simple answer is yes.

The Kamiq is sold in some European countries with 16 inch wheels.   It has identical wheels to my Arona (and T-cross also uses same).  I have 16 inch winter set (Borbet Y rims with 205/60 R16 Goodyear ultragrip 9+ tyres).   These rims fit direct with same bolts etc

My summer wheels/tyres are what it came with, 215/45 R18 tyres

The Kamiq 16 inch wheels are on page 81 of this (German) Kamiq brochure : HOEDUS Aero, ORION or CASTOR.  There is also steel LHOTSE with plastic trim

https://www.skoda-auto.de/_doc/e557cca9-33a9-4d62-b4e3-ce5bbc448af9

I can’t think of a good reason why a dealership would refuse to sell these from its parts department, so whoever you asked doesn’t know the product.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

I have the Castor 16" OEM wheels in my Kamiq Ambition (your SE?) with 1.0 TSi DSG. I've checked even the Skoda's configurator and you can choose the 1.5 TSi with 16" so dealer words are little weird.

• Like 1

What will fit depends on the diameter of the front brake discs.

14" wheels will fit over 256mm diameter front brake discs.

15" wheels will fit over 288mm diameter front brake discs.

195/65R15 fitted to 6Jx15 ET35 rims are listed as a winter tyre size on the Scala.

16" are always going to fit the Scala and Kamiq. You could even fit bigger 312mm non-standard front brakes with when using 16" wheels.

It sounds like some Skoda dealers are simply saying that if a certain car model didn't come out of the factory with those size wheels that you can't fit them. Even though they will physically fit.

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

It sounds like some Skoda dealers are simply saying that if a certain car model didn't come out of the factory with those size wheels that you can't fit them. Even though they will physically fit.

Thank you for the response. I believe you are right but to be fair to the dealership, I am starting to think my original query didn't get passed down the line correctly. I have spoken to another dealer's parts department and they confirm that 16 inch wheels can be fitted to the Kamiq. So the next job for me is to source the wheels and tyres.

@cestrian Although I drive an Arona (Kamiq wasn’t launched when I bought it, but they have same floor pan, engines etc), I actually prefer the feel of the 16 inch wheels as they ride better over rutted tarmac (of which there is plenty on country roads).  I will be switching back to the 16s (with winter tyres) in few days.

One thing I would recommend is don’t buy summer tyres if buying new tyres, either get all seasons (if going to keep them on all year, and sell the 18s) or if you have 2 sets of wheels/tyres then put winter tyres on second set.   All seasons (and winter) tyres don’t get hard and noisy when temperature falls below about +9c (which is common in morning for 5 months each year)

There are threads on tyres

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/213-tyres-zone/

I have had it confirmed by Skoda UK customer service that the Kamiq can be fitted with 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels.

Speaking with another Skoda dealership, I have been offered a swap of 4 17 inch wheels and tyres, Braga alloys with 205/55 R17 91V tyres, only charge being for 1 hours labour. I'm taking them up on the offer providing the Braga wheels and tyres are in good, nearly new condition as reported. The tyre or sidewall height of the three sizes  are 122 mm on 16", 112 mm on 17" and 97mm on 18".

I had the wheels swap done this morning. The 17 inch wheels are fitted with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres. The difference in noise level and ride quality is incredible given the small change in sidewall size.

• Like 1

@cestrian 

Did you tell the tyre pressure to set them at or did you do it and reset the TPMS?

The issue with the Primacy 4 is that they are used on lots of EV's or Hybrids because they are an ECO tyre as in they help the range of the car.

This is from the rather poor traction / grip / friction.

Not that good in the wet or cold, so best not run the tyre pressure to the ECO pressure.  

• Like 1

When my Kamiq (hopefully) turns up next year I am aiming to fit Cross Climates same as I currently have on my Octavia.
Since the swap on the Octavia even though the tyres are the same size the road noise has noticeably reduced from the Premacy 3 tyres the car came with.

17 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@cestrian 

Did you tell the tyre pressure to set them at or did you do it and reset the TPMS?

The issue with the Primacy 4 is that they are used on lots of EV's or Hybrids because they are an ECO tyre as in they help the range of the car.

This is from the rather poor traction / grip / friction.

Not that good in the wet or cold, so best not run the tyre pressure to the ECO pressure.  

No, I didn't tell them what pressures to put in. I've checked them once home and they were all set at 36 psi. Following your advice and others comments on here, I've set all at 34 psi, reset the TPMS and I'll see over the next few weeks what that is like. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cestrian said:

I had the wheels swap done this morning. The 17 inch wheels are fitted with Michelin Primacy 4 tyres. The difference in noise level and ride quality is incredible given the small change in sidewall size.

Out of curiosity, why did you want to change your wheel size ?

56 minutes ago, cestrian said:

Better ride quality and quieter too. 

I find the ride quality fine on my 18" wheels, although pressures certainly make a difference.

I am finding that certain road surfaces generate a lot of noise and make hearing what my wife is saying difficult. I'm undecided as yet whether it's down to the make of tyre, lack of soundproofing or both.

My previous Kodiaq on 19" wheels with Pirelli tyres generated no such noise.

In your case I think that just changing the make of tyre and paying attention to tyre pressures would have done what you wanted without buying new wheels as well.

8 hours ago, cestrian said:

I didn't buy new wheels. I swapped 18s for 17s. I think they have made a huge difference to the comfort and noise level. 

I'm not surprised that you found the ride quality of 205/55R17 fitted to 6.5J rims so much better than 215/45R18 fitted to 7J rims.

205/55R17 has a load index of 91

215/45R18 has a load index of 89

So not only do you have to inflate the 18" tyres to a higher air pressure than the 17" tyres to support the same load but the 215/45 has a significantly wider tread in contact with the road than the 205/55 resulting in the 18" tyre having a much shorter contact patch with the road. Also, the 215/45 has a much stiffer carcass than 205/55 which again has a negative effect on ride quality.

If you've got 205/55R17 and want to feel what the ride quality of 215/45R18 is like, then overinflate the 17" tyres by 6psi. I expect even that big increase in tyre pressure still wouldn't make the 17" tyres feel as bad as the 18" tyres.

Edited by Carlston

14 hours ago, olderman1 said:

I find the ride quality fine on my 18" wheels, although pressures certainly make a difference.

I am finding that certain road surfaces generate a lot of noise and make hearing what my wife is saying difficult. I'm undecided as yet whether it's down to the make of tyre, lack of soundproofing or both.

My previous Kodiaq on 19" wheels with Pirelli tyres generated no such noise.

In your case I think that just changing the make of tyre and paying attention to tyre pressures would have done what you wanted without buying new wheels as well.

The 18 inch with summer tyres (as delivered from factory), are noisy.

Basically anything sold as an Eco tyre, is fairly hard, designed for long distance cruising on good roads, but not a compliant tyre for poor rutted tarmac local roads.

The other problem with Eco summer tyres is tend to be poor in wet below about +10c, and virtually useless in cold rain, damp, frost, sleet and snow, or when it is cold enough for roads to be salted.     You really either need a second set of wheels/tyres (winter tyres), or need an all season tyre for all year use.

I have just switched from the 18s with Pirelli P7 summer tyres, to my winter tyres (205/60 R16) and noise levels on country roads have fallen dramatically. The softer winter compound also helps with noise.   It now grips again in muddy field runoff puddles, and I know from last winter grips when the puddles have ice, is frosty, or snows.  Much better than being stranded at first hill when a few centimetres of snow falls.

This may seem a silly question, but what do you do about the tyre pressure monitor system? Do you have the TPMS valves fitted to the winter wheels or do you make do with standard valves?

Another question regarding air pressures; I'm down to 34 psi on the 205/55/R17's and they still feel as though they could do with being a bit less. What would you say is the minimum I could get away with, and what pressures do you have the winter 205/60/R16's at?

56 minutes ago, cestrian said:

Another question regarding air pressures; I'm down to 34 psi on the 205/55/R17's and they still feel as though they could do with being a bit less. What would you say is the minimum I could get away with, and what pressures do you have the winter 205/60/R16's at?

What tyre pressures are shown on the tyre pressure label inside the fuel filler flap?

Maybe you could put up a photo of the label?

If you are lightly loaded (ie. just two front passengers) I would try 29psi front and 26psi rear whether using 205/60R16 or 215/55R17.

29psi front tyre pressures and 26psi rear tyre pressures can support a total load of 1596kg using 205/60R16 tyres and 1558kg using 205/55R17 tyres.

For a full load (five passengers and their luggage) I would increase the tyre pressures to 32psi front and 35psi rear. That would be enough to support a total load of 1932kg using 205/60R16 and 1886kg using 215/55R17.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 18:17, Carlston said:

What tyre pressures are shown on the tyre pressure label inside the fuel filler flap?

Maybe you could put up a photo of the label?

1655524432_Fuelfiller.jpg.d8c02f288e825be8eeb4e2f35a0b3454.jpg

3 hours ago, cestrian said:

Those tyre pressures seem rather high. Maybe they are eco pressures?

It's surprising that Skoda is recommending the same tyre pressures for both the 205/60R16 size and the 215/45R18 size, as the 205/60R16 has a much higher load index (92 vs 89).

With the 205/60R16 tyre size, 2.5 Bar front and 2.5 Bar rear can support 2,100kg.

With the 205/60R16 tyre size, 2.7 Bar front and 3.3 Bar rear can support 2,520kg.

I doubt the Kamiq weighs any where near these amounts.

To keep things simple, I would try 32psi front and rear (with just two front passengers) and then 29psi. You should easily notice the ride improvement everytime you drop the pressures by 3psi.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

I am always interested in discussions on tyres. I'm surprised that the info on the car is pretty non-specific. I've just checked on our 2 (non-Skoda) cars and the info is very specific and refers to the wheels and tyres as originally factory fitted, including diameter, width, aspect ratio, load index and speed rating. Both of the tyre sizes quoted in the post above are standard load rating, the 16" are available as 92 and 96 load index, and the 18" as 89 and 93. So assuming equal loads front and back, the 16" tyres can support 2524 or 2840kg, the 18" 2320 or 2600kg. So I would suggest that the 16" tyres are standard 92s, and 18" are 93 Extra loads. This may explain why the pressures are the same. Odd that the 17" tyres have the same pressures for lighter loads, but slightly softer for heavier loads. I haven't bothered looking more closely at the 17" numbers.