Fabia Vrs mk2 cam tensioner

Wonder if someone can give me a bit of advice

when staring up my fabia vrs I am getting a rattling noise, it does get better when the car has warmed up,but I’m thinking it could be the chain tensioner on its way out?

if it is haw difficult is it to change ,or is it worth changing chain and water pump while there?
thanks in advance

Yes sounds like the timing chain on the way out as my one did this I got my one changed all good now.

It's big job to do but not to hard to do if you know what you are doing when doing it I would change the water pump assembly as it has to come off to do the timing chain.

All the parts for my one Come to £880 all OEM parts and it took about 6 hours to do it.

Skoda dealer wanted £1200 for the parts and a week to do the work 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:17, Rsrob said:

Yes sounds like the timing chain on the way out as my one did this I got my one changed all good now.

It's big job to do but not to hard to do if you know what you are doing when doing it I would change the water pump assembly as it has to come off to do the timing chain.

All the parts for my one Come to £880 all OEM parts and it took about 6 hours to do it.

Skoda dealer wanted £1200 for the parts and a week to do the work 

For an mk2 fabia VRS?

Chain kit cost me £120 from TPS, £30 for the tensioner, water pump £67(Amazon), timing tools £20(eBay)

The tensioner has been revised 4 or 5 times the since fabia came out the factory, To the point they changed it completely for the tsi's but you can pick up the latest version that will fit yours for £30, To change the tensioner only its still an oil drain, Supercharger cover removal, Remove water pump, remove 2 auxiliary belts, cover off, 2 screws hold the tensioner in, Then there's replacing the chain cover gasket etc. All that effort you'd be as well replacing the chain and pump.

In terms of how difficult is it? If you've never stripped the water pump and charger pulleys down, It can be a nightmare but simple when you know the correct method. Timing is pretty straight forward as everything turns anti clockwise apart from inlet cam pulley is reverse thread and needs turned clockwise. An hour to strip down and an hour to do the timing chain if experienced, add another couple of hours of swearing if its you first time.

I have the work manual if you decide do it yourself, and If I could give any advise.......Purchase the vag specific angled spanner tool (T10060A) or be prepared to start bending 16mm spanners to fit.

Edited by Mickmartin

^^^^

That happened with Twinchargers & there was a bonnet stay rattle,

A common rattle with CAVE vRS from 2010-12 was the broken bracket on the exhaust down pipe, or the heat shield, but then that was happening by 2016 on 2010 cars. 

Then there was the 'Cattle grid noise' as reported with DQ200's.

Some rattles at standstill. some when moving and some heard from outside, others inside only.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/451988-tiny-rattle-noise-from-passengers-side-front

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/283194-rattle

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/457262-2013-fabia-mk-ii-vrs-to-left-of-engine

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2021 at 19:00, Mickmartin said:

For an mk2 fabia VRS?

Chain kit cost me £120 from TPS, £30 for the tensioner, water pump £67(Amazon), timing tools £20(eBay)

The tensioner has been revised 4 or 5 times the since fabia came out the factory, To the point they changed it completely for the tsi's but you can pick up the latest version that will fit yours for £30, To change the tensioner only its still an oil drain, Supercharger cover removal, Remove water pump, remove 2 auxiliary belts, cover off, 2 screws hold the tensioner in, Then there's replacing the chain cover gasket etc. All that effort you'd be as well replacing the chain and pump.

In terms of how difficult is it? If you've never stripped the water pump and charger pulleys down, It can be a nightmare but simple when you know the correct method. Timing is pretty straight forward as everything turns anti clockwise apart from inlet cam pulley is reverse thread and needs turned clockwise. An hour to strip down and an hour to do the timing chain if experienced, add another couple of hours of swearing if its you first time.

I have the work manual if you decide do it yourself, and If I could give any advise.......Purchase the vag specific angled spanner tool (T10060A) or be prepared to start bending 16mm spanners to fit.

HI

Couldn't find anything on TPS website?

Do you have any links or info for the parts required?

Great info thanks, we are going to do it as we are pretty handy with spanners

Thanks

Jamie

On 25/10/2021 at 14:35, jimboflip said:

HI

Couldn't find anything on TPS website?

Do you have any links or info for the parts required?

Great info thanks, we are going to do it as we are pretty handy with spanners

Thanks

Jamie

Give them a ring mate, They'll sort you out with the kit and tensioner.

water pump - Cooling System Water Pump 03C121004D 03C121004E for Seat Ibiza Alhambra 710 MPV 1.4 TSI : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

aux belts - 03C145933A  & 03C260849A (found ebay to be the cheapest)

Timing tools - Timing Tool Set VAG 1.2, 1.4, 1.6L FSi/ TFSi Petrol - Audi Seat Skoda Volkswagen 5902188472387 | eBay

You may find these parts cheaper mate, I just done a quick search.