What car to replace Superb?

the_worrier

Strange question, I know, on a Skoda Superb forum…

My good lady and I have 2 cars and neither is used very much now. We want to change to 1 car only and that car has to be able to comfortably lug my caravan (1375Kg) without being enormous itself. The Mrs won’t drive the Superb given its size. 

This all means I need help identifying a car. I thought about a BMW X1. What would you look at?

3 minutes ago, the_worrier said:

What would you look at?

Based on the various volunteer and hackney taxis I've been in over the last 9 months, another Superb. Seriously, unless you have Rolls-Royce money I've not been in anything better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_worrier said:

Strange question, I know, on a Skoda Superb forum…

My good lady and I have 2 cars and neither is used very much now. We want to change to 1 car only and that car has to be able to comfortably lug my caravan (1375Kg) without being enormous itself. The Mrs won’t drive the Superb given its size. 

This all means I need help identifying a car. I thought about a BMW X1. What would you look at?

Personally not a fan of taller vehicle but I suppose that matters less with towing, or does it ??

Anyway Towing Mag reckoned even the lighter Mk3 Octy (102 kgs lighter than the mk2 ) was good up to tonne and a half.....

https://www.thetowcarawards.com/winners/2019-up-to-1400kg/

9 minutes ago, the_worrier said:

Any other marques you’d recommend?

If you're looking towards Vauxhall, then the new Insignia is massive so I don't think your Mrs would like that, unless as a passenger (the SRI spec one is nice). The 2.0 Turbo Diesel can shift however.

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

If you're looking towards Vauxhall, then the new Insignia is massive so I don't think your Mrs would like that, unless as a passenger (the SRI spec one is nice). The 2.0 Turbo Diesel can shift however.

I wouldn’t buy a Vauxhall. No offence to anyone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, the_worrier said:

I wouldn’t buy a Vauxhall. No offence to anyone. 

That's fair. My Grandparents have always bought Vauxhall (Novas, Corsas, Vectras and so forth) and they're not quite as taken on with these new PSA made ones compared to the ones they had a while back.

• Like 1

Was going to suggest something like a Vitara but the towing limit is 1200kg...

What about a Sportage or Tucson?  They would fit the bill in terms of capacity and I had a Sportage as a hire car not long back - absolutely full of toys and very comfortable and well built but shorter than the Superb.

As an aside we went from a 4x4 Octavia II to a Kodiaq and my wife has no issues with the Kodiaq but did think the Superb too big...

• Like 1

Changed from the Superb to a Volvo V60 due to uncomfortable seats. Love the V60 and the D4 engine is rated up to 2000kg for towing.

It's about a foot shorter than the Superb which does  make it easier for manoeuvring in car parks and the like. 

IMG_20210911_103358.jpg