How to change the oil on a DSG6 (DQ250) gearbox

Bap33

May be this guide deserves being pinned on the fisrt page of this forum. 😉

Additionallly I’d like to insert a link in other model forums (Octi 2, Yeti, Kodiaq) since they may also be DSG6 equipped, but I don’t really know what would be the best way to do it.

If any moderator has a solution, feel free! :)

Edited by Bap33
  • Love it! 1

• ColinD pinned this topic

Brilliant post with all the information and can’t really go wrong!

only thing I’d add to it is if you are doing the work outside and it’s a bit windy, as the stream of oil starts to thin out, the wind will catch it and it will by all luck flick it all over you, the undertray, the wheels and the floor. Just be warned, I put a cardboard shield up to stop the cross winds 😂😂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

la mise à niveau du véhicule comprend l'avant et l'arrière  ( comme sur un pont )  .                                                                                                                                                                     pour la température d'huile , un thermomètre  pour enfant placé sur le dessous de boite donne la même lecture  ( si vous n'avez pas de VCDS ) j'ai vérifier la valeur est idem ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2022 at 18:50, christov said:

la mise à niveau du véhicule comprend l'avant et l'arrière  ( comme sur un pont ) 

Dont' worry, my car was horizontal. My wooden ramp just allow me to simultaneously get enough clearance to work under the car and compensate the slope of my park place. ;) 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13/02/2023 at 07:47, DragosIonuts said:

Hello! After the gear oil change, the gearbox feels a little bit clucki. Do you know if it needs some gearbox reset? The one that you can find in the basic settings on obdeleven in the transmissions module, maybe? 

Sorry, I missed the question.

I´ve never heard about DSG gear box reset upon oil change. Thus, I did not do any reset on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

If I don't have VCDS how much of a risk am I taking doing this job? If I measure the amount of oil I drained and fill up with the exact same amount surely I can't be far wrong? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2023 at 18:32, Skiday said:

If I don't have VCDS how much of a risk am I taking doing this job? If I measure the amount of oil I drained and fill up with the exact same amount surely I can't be far wrong? 

I would just run the engine for a while, say 5 minutes on a hot day, 10  mins on a cold day. When I did mine on a fairly cold day, i couldn't get the temperature much above 35C and certainly nowhere near 45C no matter how long I ran it for. I think this will be more accurate than just putting back in what you took out, because it might not have been correct "at birth" and there might have been very slight leakage over the years. The difference in level from being say 5C outside the range is going to be minimal.

Thanks. That sounds fair enough. I'm sure though that the oil has not been changed since manufacture as the service record book has never shown it as changed, and if you paid the dealer all that money for them to do it I would think they would be sure to tick the box when they stamp the book and the owner would be sure to check it (I certainly would anyway).

I notice that in the initial post of this thread by 'Bap33' he is doing the oil level check (the whole oil change in fact) with the rear wheels on the ground and the front on ramps. Surely the correct procedure would be for the car to be level just as it would be at the dealers with it on the lift? I'm sure that having the car up at the front must affect the level. I'm still not convinced that putting in the same as what came out (5.5l) can be any worse than checking the oil with the car not level.

Just a side note on filling. If you don't want to go to the bother of getting a special filling tube thing that 'Bap33' used, or just don't want to fill from beneath, you can do what I did; when the filter is off and the plug is in, pour new oil into the filter holder to the top (about 200ml??), set the alarm on your phone for 2min30sec, do a bit of polishing, when the alarm goes off fill it again and so on. Eventually you'll have the oil in and the car polished!

18 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I would just run the engine for a while, say 5 minutes on a hot day, 10  mins on a cold day. When I did mine on a fairly cold day, i couldn't get the temperature much above 35C and certainly nowhere near 45C no matter how long I ran it for. I think this will be more accurate than just putting back in what you took out, because it might not have been correct "at birth" and there might have been very slight leakage over the years. The difference in level from being say 5C outside the range is going to be minimal.

Hi Nick,  I don't have anyway of seeing the gearbox oil temperature.  Could you expand a little on the process, please?  Am I right in thinking you ran the engine for a while, say 5 minutes on a hot day, 10  mins on a cold day and then removed the sump plug and allowed the excess oil to drain until it is just drips before replacing the sump plug?

9 hours ago, GreenGeorge said:

Hi Nick,  I don't have anyway of seeing the gearbox oil temperature.  Could you expand a little on the process, please?  Am I right in thinking you ran the engine for a while, say 5 minutes on a hot day, 10  mins on a cold day and then removed the sump plug and allowed the excess oil to drain until it is just drips before replacing the sump plug?

Well I did have VCDS so I could monitor the oil temperature, but it was a struggle to get it up to 35C (it was fairly cold in the garage). I think in the end it just about hit 35, but it wasn't going to go any higher. So for you, I would suggest the times mentioned above are adequate to get close enough to the right temperature - assuming the ambient temperature is within reason. There is after all a 10C tolerance allowed, so it can't be that critical.

And then as you say, remove the plug and let the oil drain out until it stops. Be aware that there is a process going on in the gearbox such that you will get oil spilling out every 30 secs or so, but this is to be disregarded.

The manual says this: A small amount of oil comes out of the overflow pipe every 30 seconds, regardless of the oil level. This is caused by pulsation in the cooling oil for the coupling. Such escaping oil does not indicated whether the gear oil level is adequate, so it must not be taken into account when determining the oil level.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, GreenGeorge said:

I wonder if an IR thermometer would work with monitoring temperature.

Don’t see why not. The gearbox sump casing will be pretty close to the oil temperature.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2023 at 01:11, Skiday said:

'Bap33' he is doing the oil level check (the whole oil change in fact) with the rear wheels on the ground and the front on ramps.

In fact, there is a slope where I did It. The ramps compsate this slope. Thus no worry about correct oil level. ;) 

On 29/06/2023 at 10:32, GreenGeorge said:

Obdeleven works also

• 4 months later...

@Bap33thank you for this, really detailed and very easy to follow!  I had a 24mm socket that has a 22mm hex end on it, which allowed a 22mm ring spanner to slacken the filter housing enough to undo it by hand, without needing to take out the battery. 

Doing it in winter, even keeping the oil in the house before putting it in the car, it took about an hour to get the oil up to temperature.  Not a job to do if you're in a hurry.

I refitted the old drain bolt and crush washer to do the warm up and after the levelling draining was done, fitted to the new bolt/washer so the new washer was only being crushed once.

Edited by 4StringBass
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm glad if it helped you!

Indeed, you've just help me understandind why my oil change kit included 2 washers! 😁

Thanks a lot for this feedback! 👍

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 19:00, nicknorman said:

Don’t see why not. The gearbox sump casing will be pretty close to the oil temperature.

That's what I did recently. Ran it until the hottest part of the bottom of the casing reached 35 degrees!

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Bap33 for the comprehensive manual. Really well explained.

I am planning to do the DSG oil service of my new but old Octavia MK3 (with a DQ250) soon as well. I got all necessary tools but I am still not sure which oil to go for. Buying the OEM VW (G052182A2) is of course the safest bet but is it really worth the double price? I see that @Bap33 used Febi oil, which was also one of my thoughts. I see that many use the LIQUI MOLI 8100. These seen to be the only two alternatives, that I am considering. 

Have you guys had good experience with the cheaper oil options? Have you been using the alternative oils for long period of time (at least 2-3 DSG oil changes) and would you recommend a brand?

Many thanks for your comments in advance.

OEM oil, is only an oil with a VAG sticker on it 😉.

Thus IMHO, as long as you chose an oil which comply with the OEM reference G052182A2, there should be minimum risk. 

Hello all,

After some more research and reading through German forums, I found that Fuchs Titan FFL-2 (previously Pentone FFL-2) is the only VAG approved DSG oil on the market (at least for DQ 250). They apparently sell other versions for different DSGs. So I decided to get 6l off eBay for about £90. A comparable price to the Febi alternative, which is recommended but not approved by VAG.

I hope this information is useful for some of you. I hope it is not misleading, either, therefore please correct me if I am wrong.

Have a good weekend!

Probably one of the best tutorials in here. So many thanks! This was equal to what is presented in Elsa workshop manual.

2h seems to be plausible when not able to use carlift but on jackstands, mainly due to working conditions 😉

Did this job on my own DQ250 yesterday and used the same kit from Febi also bought on autodoc. I used a ATF pump with adapter for DSG, so saved some time there I guess. Job all done within 1h. In Norway they now quote approx 300 GBP for this job, some 350 GBP (main dealership). So definitively some bucks to save for a job easy done as DYI if one have the tools. I change DSG oil/filter every 30-35 000km (18-20 000 miles). That is 1/2 the recommended maximum mileage from main dealer. I guess it is cheaper to do it than to risk a new DSG gearbox since I use mine in cold temps and occasionally pulling a camper.

When I do similar jobs during wintertime, I drive 30min so all things are heated. The oil is also stored indoor in a warm place beforehand. So, when things have to reach a specific temp to check levels, things are already at a decent temp even if the garage has only 10-15 degrees celcius indoor. Has worked flawlessly to my needs so far. Same procedure goes with front, rear diffs and haldex as well when things have to have some temp to check levels.

Edited by rbhelle
typo again