Hybrid vrs

DaddyDave

Apologies if been asked before but anyone got a hybrid vrs .... if so any good .. looking to back to a vrs estate from a kodiaq .. was just going to get a petrol vrs .. but thought would ask about hybrid... thanks 

I have iV VRS. Around 75mpg long term with a mixture of motorway and city driving using hybrid. Very comfortable, average road noise with Goodyear F1 SuperSport 19s, louder than my previous Volvo S90 which was on 20s. 

Only bugbear is the software issues but mine have mostly gone, just random PDC errors sometimes and ACC issues. 

Brake wear seems to be excessive due to brake regeneration. Can hear them squeaking sometimes so will probably need replacing within a year (21 plate car with 9k miles). 

Acceleration is good, really shifts in sport, could do with abit more top end grunt though. From low revs the torque from the electric motor really shows, very good at overtaking on A-roads. 

Handles like any premium VAG car, precise and clean. If you'd like more info just ask. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonbon0 said:

Brake wear seems to be excessive due to brake regeneration. Can hear them squeaking sometimes so will probably need replacing within a year (21 plate car with 9k miles). 

Regeneration is done by the engine, which means it does not use brakes for the regen itself. I'd suggest to use paddles or S mode to regen 100% without brakes. Pressing the pedal applies brakes in some point.

2 hours ago, timster said:

Regeneration is done by the engine, which means it does not use brakes for the regen itself. I'd suggest to use paddles or S mode to regen 100% without brakes. Pressing the pedal applies brakes in some point.

Just assumed that regen came from kinetic energy from brakes, learn something new.

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

@jonbon0. If you are getting 750 miles from 10 gallons on petrol does that require charging the battery 9 or 10 times within that 750 miles?

Yeh I charge everyday to full. Without electric I'll get about 45mpg. I drive spiritedly so you could easily get higher than 75mpg long term. Plus if you just use e mode it will be much greater. 

I also have the VRS iV and love it!

No issues with mine apart from the buggy infotainment  but hardly even notice any issues with that now after all the updates.

I get about the same as others mpg wise, 75-85 but have had it on 300mpg before but that was after only ever using electric for a week or so without the engine used at all. 

Charges with a 3 pin uk plug from empty to full in 3-4 hours.

Good news is the value has rocketed due to the current issues with new cars, its only 8 months old and I am already in positive equity! If I could get hold of a new car now I would trade it in for a full EV but can't get them anywhere. 

IMG_0323.HEICeb398475-7446-4756-8219-576d145c784b.thumb.JPG.cf95c9baa218e49fc35e4d49a9f99309.JPG3b3838e3-df1d-42fb-8140-d3c7ea56527a.thumb.JPG.485fd770116d6e9f350b9dbf51b58f8f.JPG8b1c0902-8fee-4df3-9ac0-6b25260717ff.thumb.JPG.d6698a4d4211502d462cac7cad810e84.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, I've asked this in my own thread but was pointed in the direction of this.

I'm about to lease a new vRS, well, place an order nearly 12 months before I actually need it!

I currently have a petrol vRS and love it. I am torn this time though. iV or Petrol.

I'm retired, live rural and would mostly use the electric motor for the 12 or 13 mile round trip to the shops. However, I do quite often do longer drives including long motorway drives up to north of the border. How does this car perform on longer motorway drives with little chance of regenerative braking? I travel when I know the traffic should be light so hardly ever slow down. Would I end up driving a 1.4TSI instead of a 245 vRS in those circumstances?

Cheers,

Rich 

If you’re doing under 6k per year then I’d stick to petrol personally… don’t underestimate the fun factor either, as the iV is much heavier and will handle accordingly. If I was driving for pleasure and leisure that would be the biggest influencer for me 

• Like 1

I Agree with Zedboy. the hybrid version is 200-300kg heavier and higher. 

For pleasure get the petrol version. I you want to save on gas for shorter trips but still have some fun, get the hybrid.

For the me hybrid suits quite well. I can do my work (32km) daily with electric and when i want to drive, i can just fire up the petrol engine. 

Its still perhaps a compromise, but i get the best of both worlds. I do like the electric driving, even if this has a gearbox after the electric engine. Full EV is not an option yet, even if that would be the best for me.

Edited by timster
  • Like 1

Hybrid only really makes sense for company car drivers like me who are paying very little BIK tax as it will do miles on electric only. The increased list cost over a standard petrol version far outweighs any extra fuel costs if you are a private buyer. 

• Like 1

I have a nearly new vRS iV hatch currently but also have an estate version on order. I don’t pay bik tax and chose the iV due to my driving profile - 80% of journeys fully electric. I’ve had the car for 10 weeks, covered 1,650 miles and only put 21 litres (£30) in this week as I have a long journey on Friday. I also fully charge daily. Love the way the car drives and it is really quiet and comfortable when in ev mode. 

52 minutes ago, NotP35 said:

I have a nearly new vRS iV hatch currently but also have an estate version on order. I don’t pay bik tax and chose the iV due to my driving profile - 80% of journeys fully electric. I’ve had the car for 10 weeks, covered 1,650 miles and only put 21 litres (£30) in this week as I have a long journey on Friday. I also fully charge daily. Love the way the car drives and it is really quiet and comfortable when in ev mode. 

It does very much depend on your mileage and your typical driving journeys. 
I would argue you are only doing 8500 miles a year which 

£1400 a year in petrol at 40mpg about 16p mile

£564 a year in petrol doing 100mpg is about 7p a mile. Some people have reported 75mpg average in an IV but maybe you do more. 

So if you are generous you are saving maybe £900 a year in fuel. Not including the price the charge the battery overnight. 
A petrol VRS is about £5k less than the iV version so it’ll be at least 5.5 years to make that cost up, actually a lot more if you include electric cost. 

So it’s difficult to argue it’s cheaper, but if you have individual reasons why you need the iV electric only mode (congestion charge?) then it might be worthwhile. 

I certainly wouldn’t be ordering a hybrid if it wasn’t massively advantageous in BIK payments. I’d either have full ICE or full electric. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

75 mpg for the first 75 miles using 4.546 litres of petrol and the electric in a full battery, 

the next 75 miles is more like 7 litres of petrol as is very 75 miles until the car is plugged in again.

Nobody is doing 450 miles of a trip from home to someplace and back using only 6 gallons.

17 hours ago, roottoot said:

75 mpg for the first 75 miles using 4.546 litres of petrol and the electric in a full battery, 

the next 75 miles is more like 7 litres of petrol as is very 75 miles until the car is plugged in again.

Nobody is doing 450 miles of a trip from home to someplace and back using only 6 gallons.

Seems perfectly reasonable to get 75mpg with regen on and driving reasonably. I used to get 60+ mpg out of my non plug in hybrid Auris fairly easily accross whole tank fulls of fuel. With a plug in hybrid and better regeneration than my Toyota you’d get a lot more. 
Depends on driving style and terrain of course, most people want to drive like idiots nowadays and wonder why their cars don’t do the advertised numbers. 🙄🙄

• Haha 1

You do not get 75 mpg though from a 1.4 TSI without a battery being charged before doing the 75 miles.  So no matter if the 75 miles gets you from the coast to the highest road summit in Scotland on a fine sunny warm day you are not getting more than 55 MPG doing  lots of coasting as you head home to the coast.     I could get 70 mpg in a TDI SCR DSG from the mountains to the sea.  Even 55 mpg in a MK 2 Fabia vRS without coasting function.  

Edited by roottoot