Karoq facelift unveiled November 2021

SurreyJohn

1 hour ago, deddog said:

Huge wheels with rubber bands,a victory for style over substance.

For some reason, all automotive concept artwork looks like that. I'm not sure who car designers think the target market is for middle-market family wagons, but it's not 17 year old boys.

If it's any consolation, the real thing will turn up looking like it has skateboard wheels fitted, and then we can all complain that they look too small! 😆

• Like 1

Well, we've had the first lot of "I don't like it" posts.

Now just waiting for someone to ask about retrofitting the new front onto the current model.

Just like when Skoda facelifted the Octavia 3 a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Groan 1

Links on this page to you tube of launch of the facelift Karoq in 3 days

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/models/karoq/the-new-skoda-karoq-is-being-unveiled-watch-the-digital-presentation/

No indication of when it will be available yet, if I had to guess then maybe production start April with deliveries starting later (although with current order backlog, it’s hard to guess).  Might give more details in the launch.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

I think that's as good a guess as any. I can't remember when factory orders for the Karoq stopped, but it was a good 2-3 months ago, so they should be able to plan production of the remaining orders fairly accurately, taking into account the shortage of semiconductors.

So improved aerodynamics, virtual cockpit now standard, optional matrix headlights and dynamic indicators (rear only??), and a new orange/gold colour. 

Looks like full LED rear lights for those who were bothered about the mix of LEDs and filament bulbs in the present Karoq, but at least the driver controls have retained the (safer IMO) buttons and knobs rather than go to touchscreen controls! 

Lots of pics here: Skoda Karoq (2022) - pictures, information & specs (netcarshow.com)

Not coming until the spring, so no details yet of prices presumably.

Chris

Edited by CJJE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Those wheels! 🙃

But with plastic 'aero' covers over them! Back to using ziplocks to holed them on??

Chris

Ever so slight reshape to the lights then, a 2 spoke steering wheel and possibly different alloys...?

You'd have to be a Karoq anorak to spot the difference....?

I must admit that I was ready to be a tiny bit miffed that the new one would look better than the old one, and that had circs been slightly different I might have been able to wait for the facelifted job.

I'm not miffed at all, as it turns out, not least because this updated thing won't be available for yonks yet because of all the delays and stuff going on everywhere.

As far as the inside is concerned, I reckon you really would have to be a Karoqorak to see any difference at all. As far the outside goes - and there isn't even a whiff of sour grapes, honest - I'm not bowled over by the changes at all.

I prefer the front of the old one, especially the shape of the main grille. The new one is fussier, and it's developed a bit of a pout that it didn't have before, made more noticeable by the chrome frame on some models (less so on the all black ones, maybe). I reckon the changes to the lower grille are neither here nor there, and the squared-off upturned ends are a bit... erm... meh.

I do think the new rear lights are better in that they're all LED instead of the neither-here-nor-there mix of LED and halogens on the outgoing one. I sorted that out on mine by replacing the halogen indicators and reversing lights with LEDs as many other peeps have done, and by putting a light grey film  tint on the clear part of the rear light lenses. The bulbs I used weren't those ugly mega-bright things though - the ones I used were barely any brighter than the standard halogen items. I didn't want to give anybody behind me an unwanted suntan, just to have the lights snap on and off like LEDs do rather than wheezing into life like halogens.

The only other things I've done are to replace the mirror indicator repeaters with the Kopacek dynamic scrolling jobs, and very nice they are too. Not cheap, but nice. As is the Kopacek black and body colour bonnet badge that's replaced the one on the picture.

And in case any of you miserable 'I can't see the point of personal plates' people are cracking their knuckles ready to type something mean, that plate was Mrs Phutters' idea. Her dad was the youngest B17 pilot of the war, flying with The Mighty Eighth out of Poddington (the main runway of which is now the Santa Pod drag strip) until he was shot down over the Ardennes in the winter of 1944-5. All his crew baled out and survived, and the plane bellied itself into a muddy field, ending up quite remarkably intact for something which had, to all intents and purposes, fallen tens of thousands of feet with nobody at the wheel.

The rest of the plate is his initials. He had B17 PLT on his own cars in the States, but somebody else had snaffled that when we got this one.

He died about ten years ago.

They threw him the keys to his B17 when he was barely nineteen years old.

B17-2 copy.jpg

Edited by Phutters
  • Like 4

I think it looks good

But clearly the one in the video has a very high spec, so probably going to be nearer £40k as demonstrated.

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

I think it looks good

I don't dislike it, for what it's worth, though I do think the front end has become less distinctive by changing the shape of the grille.

It's more Audi-like than it was before. 

Audi Q3 (2).jpg

Skoda-Karoq-2022-1024-03.jpg

• Like 1

I thought the facelift Yeti lost the style of the original but as I was using them as company cars at the time my second was a facelift anyway. After a bit the style grew on me and I bought my own Yeti in 2017 in the updated style. Looking back the original has not aged as well and I suspect the same will happen to my current Karoq.

Interesting that my Edition version has been dropped from range as has the 190ps tdi which I have.

The Edition was always a UK trim only, and I don't think Skoda UK have published their intentions for the facelifted car yet. As it was a popular option, I think it likely that it will be offered in the Spring, although the diesel sales have dropped like a stone so they might only offer the smaller diesel engines (for fleet sales).

Chris

We may all have the old look Karoq but a Karoq in the hand is worth two in the bush (aka factory awaiting chips)

IMHO the differences seem pretty minimal and only die hard "Karoq-heads" are really going to notice enough to care.

+ who wants Stop/Start that cannot be turned off with a button?

🙂

Paul

Edited by smipx
  • Like 2