the truth about electric cars

310golfr

4 hours ago, lol-lol said:

The totally brilliant Kia EV9.  UK Car of the Year by a massive margin.......  Not so cheap to buy, potentially cheap to run. 

Good range with 100 kwh battery, fast charging with 800v architecture.  I want one, well when there is a cheaper LFP version. 

What? You need 7 seats.

44 minutes ago, xman said:

Found the ideal car for you. Electric, and in my favourite colour too! What's not to like?

reva-g-wiz-06.jpg

Nah, they stopped making those in 2012.

Used to see quite a few of those in London back in the day, dead slow and bouncing over the bumps and speed humps, like a cork in the sea.

Edited by Graham Butcher

2 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Long cars are a problem.  if cars were shorter and the queues were shorter then drivers would be able to get to their turning quicker and queues would be shorter or non existent.

4 hours ago, lol-lol said:

The totally brilliant Kia EV9.  UK Car of the Year by a massive margin.......  Not so cheap to buy, potentially cheap to run. 

Good range with 100 kwh battery, fast charging with 800v architecture.  I want one, well when there is a cheaper LFP version. 

Bit of a dilemma for @lol-lol ?

This will make some folk very happy I'm sure.

Why don't they call it what it actually is then, its not a Zero Emission Zone, its really a glorified ULEZ where every vehicle will have to pay unless its a pure electric powered vehicle.

Oxford is planning to expand its zero-emission zone - but what does it mean for you? | Regit

Edited by Graham Butcher

44 minutes ago, xman said:

Bit of a dilemma for @lol-lol ?

Well I could see the Kia EV9 for the jaunts down the A roads and motorways, taking the daughters and sons and the grandchildren in the one car rather than taking two cars and only needing one nominated driver.

I would do as I do now and use a car like the Zoe, or hopefully the Renault 5 for shorter journeys and 1 to 3 people and then the bigger motor for long haul and when needing 4 to 7 seats. 

Most of the family are 6 footers or more, some nearer 6 ft 6 inches.

• Like 1

@Graham Butcher  It is good that when stop / start is operating that there is nothing to smell.

I still do not see why the supposedly low or non polluting vehicles running ICE,s can not just redirect the tail pipe back into the car then, or to a tank in the car that can be taken home and those with off street parking could unload it into their home.    All nice fresh non polluting air.

Gather all the stuff and recycle it regardless of how powered.   Carbon Capture.   Hand it back into the filling station or tyre an exhaust centres.

It all came from the ground, there is no place else to get stuff, put it back in the ground.   Life & death is so simple, just like people.

is

• Cheeky 1
  • Groan 1

55 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

What? You need 7 seats.

Catholics have big families.

Worked for Northern Ireland getting the majority vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

@Graham Butcher  It is good that when stop / start is operating that there is nothing to smell.

I still do not see why the supposedly low or non polluting vehicles running ICE,s can not just redirect the tail pipe back into the car then, or to a tank in the car that can be taken home and those with off street parking could unload it into their home.    All nice fresh non polluting air.

Gather all the stuff and recycle it regardless of how powered.   Carbon Capture.   Hand it back into the filling station or tyre an exhaust centres.

It all came from the ground, there is no place else to get stuff, put it back in the ground.   Life & death is so simple, just like people.

is

All true, all cars etc pollute, horse  and carts do, even us humans pollute, but equally is it not true that our air is also considered to be very safe, especially when compared to the rest of the world? With that being a fact what is the real agenda for the UK?

Incidently did you see that England is planning new gas fired generators to cope with demand for electric? 

Edited by Graham Butcher

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Nah, they stopped making those in 2012.

Used to see quite a few of those in London back in the day, dead slow and bouncing over the bumps and speed humps, like a cork in the sea.

My Yamaha Tracer 700 takes even less space, can go two in the lane CHIPs style. Some hybrid bikes now coming out, full EVs still rare but are about but dropped in price to extent car EVs have.  There are about 300 million electric motorbikes currently and growing very fast. Energy run costs of less than 10 USD a MONTH !

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Why don't they call it what it actually is then, its not a Zero Emission Zone, its really a glorified ULEZ where every vehicle will have to pay unless its a pure electric powered vehicle.

……. Is ULEZ some kind of trigger word? 

ULEZ = cars that doesn’t meet emission standards pay 

ZEZ = cars that doesn’t meet zero emission standards pay 

So Oxford ZEZ is named correctly. Cars that are not ZEV need to pay. 

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

My Yamaha Tracer 700 takes even less space, can go two in the lane CHIPs style. Some hybrid bikes now coming out, full EVs still rare but are about but dropped in price to extent car EVs have.  There are about 300 million electric motorbikes currently and growing very fast. Energy run costs of less than 10 USD a MONTH !

Nope, 2 wheels doesn't do it for me, never felt any attraction especially when you all of these power mad drivers in the huge HP cars racing all over the place :D strange really considering my dad was into motorcycles, you'd have thought it might have rubbed off on me, but I side stepped that phase.

With the LEZ Glasgow you have to meet the rules for the vehicles or you are fined.   

No getting away with a small payment to have a non compliant vehicle in the LEZ.  There are exceptions for some. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

No, ULEZ it is not and never has been a trigger word for anything and the Oxford scheme was, as I understand it, originally intended to be 100% emission-free zone camera controlled and fines issued for non-compliant vehicles with rather protracted long routes around Oxford for none EV vehicles. Having worked in the Oxford area I know how long those other routes are, and they already were extremely congested at times without having extra traffic thrown at them.

So I'm guessing the local kicked off about the long routes and would it just make other areas heavily congested and lengthy jams so other vehicles are allowed but must pay a small charge instead. I suppose now the council have seen how much revenue it brings in so looking to extend the area and capture more income? I t is as simple as that, no hidden meaning or secret code words

8 hours ago, lol-lol said:

From £65k to £77k before options...

That's not in any way cheap compared to a Kodiaq which starts at £35k ish for similar space.

Thats a price difference of £30k!!  That buys an awful lot of fuel...

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Are you nearly 5m tall.  How about an SUV like most people are going for ?  Go upwards instead of taking all that road length, shorter queues, drivers can turn off quicker.  

WTF are you on about???

Drivers still have the same distance to travel...   Queues may be slightly shorter length wise and they might clear slightly quicker but that's all.  A Passenger Car Unit will still be classed as 5.75m for highway and junction design purposes and Stop Line Saturation flows won't change so any affects will be relatively minor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

A 2010 Jaguar XK With a big V8 engine up front is expensive to run. It struggles to do more than 25mpg and emits 264g/km of CO2

But is ulez compliant

The system is nonsense

• Like 1

From EV forum, people say the M62 incident IPace driver has been arrested by police for dangerous driving.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13192851/Police-arrest-Jaguar-Pace-driver-31-suspicion-dangerous-driving-control-car-rammed-road-officers-went-rogue-speeds-120mph.html

Strangely I can't find any other sources, but Daily Mail has rarely been pro-EV so I can't see there being an agenda. But then, police arrest shouldn't be exclusive news reporting.

3 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

From EV forum, people say the M62 incident IPace driver has been arrested by police for dangerous driving.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13192851/Police-arrest-Jaguar-Pace-driver-31-suspicion-dangerous-driving-control-car-rammed-road-officers-went-rogue-speeds-120mph.html

Strangely I can't find any other sources, but Daily Mail has rarely been pro-EV so I can't see there being an agenda. But then, police arrest shouldn't be exclusive news reporting.

Local paper has the story too

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/24182789.jaguar-driver-said-brakes-failed-m62-arrested/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Thanks 1

He will pay dearly for his 15 minutes of fame.

If you want to be Walter Mitty dont do it in a vehicle whose telemetry records everything.

I was expecting the same thing to happen to the Scottish guy from some while back.

Hmm, don't be too hasty to condemn this man, there might be more to this than currently meets the eye. For a start off it is claimed that the I Pace had to be rammed off the road by police cars and yet the I Pace is not off the road, nor is it showing any signs of physical damage and neither are the police cars, don't you find that in the slightest bit odd? 

Just been watching a BBC programme about heat pumps, Hydrogen, solar, wind, gas and nuclear power and also the national grid, some people say the grid is not suffering and only needs to be able to spread its peak demands out more, so the loading is more evenly spread out, but the programme tends to suggest otherwise, it is struggling, and it would only take for one of its ageing nuclear reactors to go offline, and we would be in serious trouble, these are already being and have been pressed into action for far longer than their original intended life and one already has a crack in one of the reactors.

Even the heat pump programme that as and when gas boilers for our homes need replacing, it will become mandatory to install a heat pump instead and the programme claims that it will take us 400 years to replace just the boilers in the UK and at great cost to the homeowners net-zero is looking shaky already.