Columbus MIB update from SD card - any risks of borking it?

BPL

51 minutes ago, BPL said:

Do i to keep the engine running until it's done? I gather this may take some hours.

At the very least the ignition, but that’ll drain the battery a bit.

What I done on my last update was ran it whilst going on a long trip but I believe it was only around 30 minutes from start to finish (my trip was 4 hours to location), you can still use your radio so won’t be sat in silence.

If you live near a motorway then that’s perfect as you can go on that and let it do it’s thing then come back

Do i to keep the engine running until it's done? I gather this may take some hours.

At the very least the ignition, but that’ll drain the battery a bit.

My car shuts down when idling or with just ignition on.....

56 minutes ago, BPL said:

I see i have mib1 and mib2 and a txt file so it's that all? I just put this into the slot and do sd upgrade?

Yeah that’s it.

Last time I done it though I had to go into the sat nav menu to kick off the update.

Cant remember exactly where I went but I think it was click on Nav, then settings then version info then click upgrade

Success!

Downloaded zips from portal using vin

Right click on zip in Windows 10 open with explorer then copy all to sd card. About an hour to copy 29GB

Set SD card to read only

I put the SD card in slot 1 in car

Menu settings

System i think

Update

It found navdb

Ok

Displayed percentage

Went for a drive

Parked up

When i came back it was still updating. No issue with turning off and locking up.

Took about 40 mins

I also added the image files to the sd card and updated these from the radio menu. You have to add any blank ones on your display manually which takes some frantic scrolling. Nothing for classic FM. 

Thanks for everyone's help😀

14 minutes ago, BPL said:

Success!

Downloaded zips from portal using vin

Right click on zip in Windows 10 open with explorer then copy all to sd card. About an hour to copy 29GB

Set SD card to read only

I put the SD card in slot 1 in car

Menu settings

System i think

Update

It found navdb

Ok

Displayed percentage

Went for a drive

Parked up

When i came back it was still updating. No issue with turning off and locking up.

Took about 40 mins

I also added the image files to the sd card and updated these from the radio menu. You have to add any blank ones on your display manually which takes some frantic scrolling. Nothing for classic FM. 

Thanks for everyone's help😀

Excellent, I believe the maps are updated twice a year if you want to keep as updated as possible.

I only ever done it twice in my 4 year ownership but will be doing it annually from now on.

I’m happy it’s free though as I know Audi you have to pay which is dirty, not sure about VW though

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Car tried to  update itself from WiFi. I tried and failed to do this before and then the Skoda Connect ran out. I cancelled but it then said no map so updated from the SD card again which I luckily had stored in the owners manual wallet.