New matrix headlights

Doombar

We're getting off topic, but case in point the touch 'button' interface in current VWs.  I can't accept that's better than the physical buttons in the Kodiaq.  An example of new=worse in my book.

7 minutes ago, Dappernut said:

I can't accept that's better than the physical buttons in the Kodiaq.  An example of new=worse in my book.

I agree with you... but the Enyaq has gone down the same route. Almost everything is now done on the infotainment screen rather than having physical buttons.

It's a definite trend across the industry - but especially with the German manufacturers.

4 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

I agree with you... but the Enyaq has gone down the same route. Almost everything is now done on the infotainment screen rather than having physical buttons.

It's a definite trend across the industry - but especially with the German manufacturers.

Of course- it's cheaper.  As is no doubt the "virtual cockpit" compared to analogue dials, but we digress.

Back on topic I tested the matrix lights.

The short version is "turn them onto automatic and enjoy the best lights you are likely to have had on any car".

They work perfectly (I assume- I didn't get flashed once, but was expecting it every time)

In terms of the "cornering" function on the old lights - forget it.  It pales into insignificance compared to these new lights.

I will be honest, I didn't read too much into these lights when ordering my car.  I am pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 22/12/2021 at 12:57, Doombar said:

How is it different to the dynamic cornering assist on the latest Kodiaq? 

Dynamic cornering assist? Not sure what that feature is.

If you're asking about VW's LED Dynamic Light Assist vs the 'basic' Skoda LED Matrix that's in the Superb and Kodiaq, it's because there's only four fixed high beam zones. With the Golf (and other VWs with DLA), it uses a swivelling light unit with a dome shape light pattern and shutters to 'blank' the high beam, in my opinion a more variable light output. On our windy NZ roads, when following cars at night, the smoothness of the beam physically moving instead of just turning off a zone is nicer than constantly seeing the Matrix system turn large zones off and on again. And the outer Matrix zones don't extend as far to the sides as when the high beam on my Golf are fully swivelled. Both have their advantages and disadvantages - DLA is more complicated due to moving parts but works smoother, Matrix has better upper corner vision due to the beam pattern but depending on how many zones there are it might not work as smoothly when blanking the high beam. If I did night driving on mainly stright roads then I would probably prefer LED Matrix but if we're comparing VW to Skoda then I'd take the VW any day.

I haven't driven the facelift Kodiaq (RS isn't here yet, no point me testing anything else) bur judging by this video, it looks to function the same as the Superb - aka definitely better than without but far from impressive. Skoda is always behind on lighting tech compared to VW as per @linni's comment. The new Octavia is an improvement, on par with the Audi B9 A4's Matrix system.

4 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

because there's only four fixed high beam zones

That may be the case, however from watching the video I don't feel certain.  When a large zone re-illuminates after a car passes in the opposite direction, it seems to 'wipe' the light back on rather than just blinking back on.  That seems odd to me if there are only 4 zones.  From a headlight design point of view, why go to the bother?  Is this zone thing documented somewhere ZacDaMan as far as you're aware?

5 hours ago, Dappernut said:

That may be the case, however from watching the video I don't feel certain.  When a large zone re-illuminates after a car passes in the opposite direction, it seems to 'wipe' the light back on rather than just blinking back on.  That seems odd to me if there are only 4 zones.  From a headlight design point of view, why go to the bother?  Is this zone thing documented somewhere ZacDaMan as far as you're aware?

Four zones per headlight (i.e. per side) that turn off and fade back on with a ‘cinema screen’ animation for theatrics. 

When I eventually get a Kodiaq RS to test then I’ll get a better video of how it works. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2021 at 12:48, ZacDaMan72 said:

I’ve just bought a Golf 7.5R with dynamic light assist and I honestly prefer it to the Superb and Kodiaq’s matrix headlights. 

My Golf R 7.5 and the Passat R line before it both have better lights than the Kodiaq's, especially in long range distance using high beam. They had 4 separate LED units where the Kodiaq had only 2 plus some old school LED reflectors for high beam. 
Our Kamiq MC's lights are now better than the Kodiaqs on high beam too, so an advancement in the LED emitter number or LUX output or lens design. So if Skoda's Matrix is using the new Kamiq LED lens set up with the pixelisation applied then it should be an improvement on my old VRS above. But it would be hard for it to outperform the dedicated separate high beam distance lens that the VWs have which seemed to be the main advantage and as you say Zac, they swivel which is better than just turning off sections which ultimately means less light overall.  For our roads being able to see around corners at full noise is an advantage. I enabled High beam assist on all our VWs and Skoda's using OBD11 including the Kamiq and it works fine. Doesn't like halogen lights coming towards it much as in reaction time sometimes, as lower power and different colour, but we are getting less of those around now too.

Edited by snala

8 minutes ago, snala said:

My Golf R and the Passat before it both have better lights than the Kodiaq's in log range distance especially on high beam. They had 4 separate LED units where the Kodiaq had only 2 plus some old school LED reflectors for high beam. 
Our Kamiq's lights are now better than the Kodiaqs too. So if Matrix is using the Kamiq LED lens set up with the pixelisation then it should be an improvement on the old one above. But it would be hard for it to outperform the dedicated high beam distance lens that the VWs have which seemed to be the main advantage. 

The 2022 facelift Kodiaq’s led matrix headlights in this thread are totally different from previous versions.

Edited by Kenny R

26 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

The 2022 facelift Kodiaq’s led matrix headlights in this thread are totally different from previous versions.

Yes I realise that, just like the Kamiq's LEDs are different to the pre face lift Kodiaq's and better as I stated.

My point was that the 4 LED VW module set up that Zac mentioned and I am familiar with too, still seems to be better performing than the portrayed new Kodiaq Matrix set up now looking at videos online etc.

I took a Polestar 2 for a test with Matrix LEDs too, and that still wasn't as good either unfortunately.

The problem with trying to determine whether a set of headlights on one car is 'better' or worse' than another is very much in the eye of the beholder i.e. very subjective.

My experience might suggest it can also vary depending on the conditions at the time, their performance seemingly differing in different ambient light conditions, on different roads, at different times of the year. The age of the headlights, how much use they've had, how tired I am, the type of street lights, full moon or cloudy, raining or dry, the number of other road users and their lights, the reflectiveness of the road surface. The list is almost endless.

Edited by silver1011

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The problem with trying to determine whether a set of headlights on one car is 'better' or worse' than another is very much in the eye of the beholder i.e. very subjective.

A million times this!

But if anyone care about my subjective experience - the matrix lights in the new Kodiaq are far superior than the LED lights in the old Kodiaq, even before you get to the matrix functionality. They are brighter and throw light much further.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2022 at 18:12, Yogi-Bear said:

A million times this!

But if anyone care about my subjective experience - the matrix lights in the new Kodiaq are far superior than the LED lights in the old Kodiaq, even before you get to the matrix functionality. They are brighter and throw light much further.

I used them to their full effect earlier this week around a country road.  It is a pretty clever system.  

• 5 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Colmgaughan said:

Been out most nights the past few days in my 2022 kodiaq sportline and there spot on. County roads and I'm impressed and thats coming from a e class mercedes. Off topic but I find the reverse camera poor. But again coming from the e class. 

Ditto on both accounts - lights are amazing. Camera - it’s filthy after a few drives and not much use at that point. My wife appreciates it though so probably worth it, but I’m glad It was part of the standard spec and I didn’t pay extra money for it 

11 hours ago, Colmgaughan said:

Been out most nights the past few days in my 2022 kodiaq sportline and there spot on. County roads and I'm impressed and thats coming from a e class mercedes. Off topic but I find the reverse camera poor. But again coming from the e class. 

There must be something wrong if you find the rear camera poor. Have you tried adjusting brightness etc , although I’ve never needed to in my previous Kodiaq or in my new one.

Also as above , is your camera washer working?

3 hours ago, linni said:

You splash your rear window and the camera gets splashed too.

Good point.  I'm shocked at how well the camera washer works and the camera would be pretty useless without it (certainly on the muddy roads around where I live).

9 hours ago, Dappernut said:

Good point.  I'm shocked at how well the camera washer works and the camera would be pretty useless without it (certainly on the muddy roads around where I live).

I’ll have to give this a go, I had no idea!