Was this car rejected?

Nightowl

You can always ask the selling dealer.

It is illegal for any seller to lie, although very unlikely to volunteer any negative information.   

Another thing you can ask for is full service and repair history, and any work done should show up.   If a main dealer (who has access to service history) says not available then walk away as they are trying to hide it.

The Government tax checker shows first registered November 2020, and is currently taxed until Nov 2022.   But it also shows a logbook was updated 6 Dec (fortnight ago).   Quite odd for a car to change hands at exactly one year old

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

You can always ask the selling dealer.

It is illegal for any seller to lie, although very unlikely to volunteer any negative information.   

Another thing you can ask for is full service and repair history, and any work done should show up.   If a main dealer (who has access to service history) says not available then walk away as they are trying to hide it.

The Government tax checker shows first registered November 2020, and is currently taxed until Nov 2022.   But it also shows a logbook was updated 6 Dec (fortnight ago).   Quite odd for a car to change hands at exactly one year old

It could be ex-rental. Not especially unusual for them to be moved on after 12 months. The logbook should reveal if this is the case.

• Like 3

So many VW Finance / Group owned vehicles around.  There have been lockdowns.

Ex Management as they like to use the term,

which can be a Dealerships employee, relative of an employee, long / short termer to the media / courtesy car etc etc etc.

Funnily all of above might never be aware of the faults that non 'perk from VW' drivers notice and want fixed. 

The Warranty work / TPI / Service Campaign history is important to see.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Cheers John,

the recent change was me and unfortunately the dodgy computer issues that I am now reading about are starting to show themselves.

Vehicle was supposed to be getting a 5 hr update carried out pre delivery but I’m not convinced it’s happened 

When I worked for Scania I changed cars every 3 months due to being on the road everyday. We basically had a choice of any VAG car upto X value then we would pay something daft like £7 a month per £1k over it. The higher up the tree the higher your base limit.

The change criteria was 6 months or 7500 miles, whatever came first. It is one of the ways of getting decent used stock around the dealer networks.

• Like 2

It is a way of getting first registrations & being where they want in the figures SMMT go on about, now being sure they are going to meet the Average C02 g/km that VW group and other manufacturers need to, and manipulating the Residuals / used car prices and the 'Sale of Used vehicles like the supposed high demand and high asking / selling prices, 

yet used car lots are overflowing with used cars.

I reckon somewhere between 30 and 50% of UK registered vehicles change owners within 6-12 months as part of the "ex demonstrator" tax fiddle.

BCA runs closed auctions where nearly new vehicles with low mileage are returned by the fleet companies, hire companies, group employees, their extended families and everyone else they can attract by the giveaway deal in accordance with the conditions (6-12 months, 3-6K miles), these are for Ford or VW or Audi or Skoda etc only vehicles and the only bidders allowed are the main dealers from those groups, been going on for decades and yet every month we read of people convinced they have struck a superb deal on the sales directors personal car.

• Like 1

A dealer once told me that if the car registration number starts with a K, then its Northampton or Luton registered, which are close to Milton Keynes and are almost certainly an ex VAG car. If you look at photos of road test cars, long termers etc, they often have the K prefix, I've even seen them on TV shows, probably loan cars/product placement. They also told me the same as Hawk89 says, keeping the cars for a few months then letting them into the dealer network, I bought 2 SEAT Exeos that had been used like this, smashing cars btw, one was KR prefix, the other was KU

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vfrguy said:

A dealer once told me that if the car registration number starts with a K, then its Northampton or Luton registered, which are close to Milton Keynes and are almost certainly an ex VAG car. If you look at photos of road test cars, long termers etc, they often have the K prefix, I've even seen them on TV shows, probably loan cars/product placement. They also told me the same as Hawk89 says, keeping the cars for a few months then letting them into the dealer network, I bought 2 SEAT Exeos that had been used like this, smashing cars btw, one was KR prefix, the other was KU

That would certainly fit with what has been said by the dealer, it first appeared on a “group” website and was transferred to my local “group” for viewing/test drive advertised as 1050 miles but had 1200 at purchase. 
Lovely car and drives well but I think VAG bought up a job lot of MG Maestro talking computers 🤫

The dealer I bought my Karoq  from told me about the 'K' prefix on the numberplate for VAG management vehicles. He also mentioned that they had obtained a large number of late registration cars used by a car rental company to boost the stock. They were registered G******. Appears a number of other dealers had done the same at the time so If anyone is looking at a used car with a 'G' prefix, check it out first. One careful former owner ABC Car Rental!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AviationNut said:

The dealer I bought my Karoq  from told me about the 'K' prefix on the numberplate for VAG management vehicles. He also mentioned that they had obtained a large number of late registration cars used by a car rental company to boost the stock. They were registered G******. Appears a number of other dealers had done the same at the time so If anyone is looking at a used car with a 'G' prefix, check it out first. One careful former owner ABC Car Rental!

The handover centres for staff are in Milton Keynes and BCA Livingston as the main centres. Hence the K registrations, as that is the band of plates which covers MK as that is where alot of the head offices are, Scania in my case.

I had KS (Octavia/Superb), KV (Scirocco) and can't remember the other for the Passats and A6. The cars handed over at the satellite sites were also registered before transported. A few of my colleagues went to a Bentley dealer somewhere in Lancashire as well when it was really busy.

• Like 1

My last two Skodas (and presumably my next one when it's finally delivered) have been K plates, as have my wife's last 3 Fiats. That's because we live in Northampton. There will be thousands of cars similarly purchased and registered, so definitely not 'almost certainly' ex VAG cars. The only way to be sure is to check the V5.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input , but my main intention was trying to see if the previous owner is a member.

I didn’t get to see the old V5 as it wasn’t available and the new one obviously just says the usual crap, 1 previous owner.

Thanks again for response’s 

1 former Registered Keeper. 

That could have been VW Finance, Motability, Hertz, Eurocar or anyone.

Since then it could have been 'in trade' at BCA (British Car Auctions', 

back into the Motor Trade, so in various peoples hands none of who show as 'Keepers'. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thats exactly my experience at the moment. bought a 2020 G plate mk4 estate, 1 year and 14k miles. Gearbox and infotainment issues. Feel so disappointed I don't think I will ever buy a 'new' car again from the experience I've had

My first Skoda was a GF prefix and I knew it was ex-rental when I purchased it. The usual tell-tale sign of an ex-rental is that it will find its way back into the trade at around 12 months old and with about 20k on the clock (also if the numberplate has a little 'Budget Car Rental' logo!).

In fairness, it was faultless for the time I owned it. Always best to ask the dealer about the history and then you have all the facts. 

Firstly thanks for all the input, finally after 2 months I get to see a copy of the old log book apparently shredded after it was digitally actioned to DVLA but a scanned copy is kept on file at dealer.

Vehicle was a dealer demo, owner was Skoda Auto 036365 hence nothing has ever been done regarding reporting or resolving all the “ glitches”

So I am getting the FULL new car experience that all the other unfortunate owners got a year ago. 
Thanks again, topic closing answer found.

• Like 4

Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead, 

rust in peace Octavia, or BUYER beware…..

vehicle rejection avoided by dealer via an amicable settlement/deal, well done Citygate Watford  👏 

Fingers crossed for an uneventful handover on Friday.

• 2 months later...

Update on mine:

Skoda dealer have been terrible, from start to finish. They 'checked' my gearbox 4 times and said it had no issues. I personally took it to them as was able to replicate the issue with the 3rd gear within a minute. It's now been in the garage for two weeks and they're replacing the entire gearbox, not that they would tell me what they found was wrong with it. For those looking at this looking to purchase:

* repeatedly depress the clutch, put it into 3rd gear and out, then back into neutral. Depress clutch and repeat. If your 6 speed manual has this problem this is how to replicate it and it will either grind OR become increasingly difficult / impossible to go into gear. It is something to do with the depression of the clutch and then moving it into the gear that it doesn't work correctly.

• Like 1