New 19” tyres required, which ones

All summer tyres performance deteriorate in winter.
It was 3.5c when I left for work at this morning at 05.30 and the 2016 P7’s with 34,500 miles, still have tremendous grip in the wet. 
Having a quick look, Hankook Ventus S1, Conti Sport and Premium Contact, Dunlop SP Sportmaxx, Bridgestone Potenza S001, Yokohama Sport 107, Goodyear Eagle F1 are all cheaper than the P7.
If you begin to, or actually loose a car in the wet, on a cold day on any U.K. road with P7’s, you’re almost certainly exceeding your level of competence and the speed limit; just because one has a Porsche, it doesn’t mean you have the skill to drive it safely at high speed under any road conditions. Having been the head of risk in two businesses, I’ve had the misfortune to see many people in serious own fault and, unfortunately, two fatal accidents - both car vs. tree on corners and neither of which were the driver - in performance cars they thought turned them into Pentti Airikkala. They weren’t. 

13 hours ago, numskull said:

All summer tyres performance deteriorate in winter.
It was 3.5c when I left for work at this morning at 05.30 and the 2016 P7’s with 34,500 miles, still have tremendous grip in the wet. 
Having a quick look, Hankook Ventus S1, Conti Sport and Premium Contact, Dunlop SP Sportmaxx, Bridgestone Potenza S001, Yokohama Sport 107, Goodyear Eagle F1 are all cheaper than the P7.
If you begin to, or actually loose a car in the wet, on a cold day on any U.K. road with P7’s, you’re almost certainly exceeding your level of competence and the speed limit; just because one has a Porsche, it doesn’t mean you have the skill to drive it safely at high speed under any road conditions. Having been the head of risk in two businesses, I’ve had the misfortune to see many people in serious own fault and, unfortunately, two fatal accidents - both car vs. tree on corners and neither of which were the driver - in performance cars they thought turned them into Pentti Airikkala. They weren’t. 

I didn't suggest I'm a better driver "as I drive a Porsche", I suggested that the grip of the PZeros was crap in the cold & wet too😘

I would also suggest as you have a 4x4 280, it's quite difficult to loose traction from a standing start, most likely the same 4x4 system as the Golf R we have, but with a mere 150bhp 1.5TSi is was very easy to spin the front wheels when pulling away on the P7s

2 hours ago, numskull said:

Ahhh… right, from a standing start; yep, I see what you mean… I apologise. But unfortunately, all tyres can pretty easily be spun-up in the wet on FWD or RWD cars. My BMW 330c was bloody terrible. 

I could do spin the wheels pulling out of side turnings when cold and wet with my Pirelli P7.  But never had any slip with my Goodyear Ultragrip 9+ 

So I think saying all tyres, rather than some or most, might be bending the truth.  

• Like 1

OK, OK; I concede; Pirelli P7’s are complete and utterly ****e tyres, thee worlds-worst premium ditch-finding widow/er makers the world has ever seen and Pirelli deserve to go bust on the back of producing them. Everyone happy now? 😂

Conti All Season being fitted Friday. Eventually paid £710 fitted via Tyre Shopper (which, of course, is now Halfords). 

On 17/11/2022 at 19:24, numskull said:

Interesting. Did you find them to be dangerous as a passenger whilst being driven round the Brands Hatch GP circuit by Jonathan Palmer (I have), or did they stick you in a ditch whilst you were driving on normal British roads?
I ask as most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on normal roads. In fact, most competent U.K. drivers will rarely, if ever, reach the limits of standard road tyre performance whilst driving on a racing circuit either. 

I'm an average driver, and have regularly found and exceeded the limits of slicks on a track kart! I can also vouch for the efficacy of the ASR system fitted to the superb. On a public road never, as there is a distinction between competent and responsible, but I'd argue that it's quite easy to find the limits of grip in a safe space.