New 19” tyres required, which ones

57 minutes ago, elfensin said:

It’s ok for the car, I’m planning to put 245/40/19 on my car when my customized alloys arrive. But better to check with your insurance company first. 

Ah good shout on insurance, I’ll stick with 235 but it’s between Goodyear asymmetric 5’s and PS4 hmm.

It’s annoying as I need all 4 so hardly cheap decision to make

• 1 month later...

Right I have to get new tyres this month and MOT booked at the end.

I’ve heard the PS4’s only last around 12k miles? Not sure where I read it, probably an amateur drifting site I hope.

Goodyear eagle F1 5 is noisier than the P7’s, is that true? I’ve seen the tyre label but that’s not quite real life reflection.

Michelin primacy 4, not heard a great deal about this in truth, does it have good rim protection? 

There’s the new Michelin PS5, not seen anywhere in UK that has them yet and I suppose far too new for longetivty.

What I’m after is a tyre which can last easily 25-30k, good rim protection for just in case moments, a tyre that can be good for occasional spirited driving, quiet inside and tyres which won’t crack due to lack of use (I hardly ever use my car)

I know I don’t need much 😬, but out of these 4, what’s best for my needs?

Michelin Primacy 4

Michelin PS4

Michelin PS5

Goodyear Eagle F1 5

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

I’ve heard the PS4’s only last around 12k miles? Not sure where I read it, probably an amateur drifting site I hope.

Goodyear eagle F1 5 is noisier than the P7’s, is that true? I’ve seen the tyre label but that’s not quite real life reflection.

Michelin primacy 4, not heard a great deal about this in truth, does it have good rim protection? 

There’s the new Michelin PS5, not seen anywhere in UK that has them yet and I suppose far too new for longetivty.

What I’m after is a tyre which can last easily 25-30k, good rim protection for just in case moments, a tyre that can be good for occasional spirited driving, quiet inside and tyres which won’t crack due to lack of use (I hardly ever use my car)

Michelin Primacy 4

Michelin PS4

Michelin PS5

Goodyear Eagle F1 5

Here is my own humble experience. I do drive 4 Michelin PS4. Those on the front axle, have formerly done 19000 km on the rear axle they have done ~9000 more on the front axle.

They're far from their mid life! And my driving style is not always... smooth... 😄

Thus I think, you can forget this 12k miles rumor... ;) 

Unfortunately, I can't tell about the 3 others, I've never driven them.

2 hours ago, Danoid said:

Michelin Primacy 4

Michelin PS4

Michelin PS5

Goodyear Eagle F1 5

I had Pilot Sport 4 on my previous car, a 300hp RWD sedan. Although I sold the car before the end of tyres' lifecycle, I feel the tyres can last at least 40k kms. 

On 04/02/2022 at 22:57, Danoid said:

Michelin Primacy 4

Michelin PS4

Michelin PS5

Goodyear Eagle F1 5

@Danoid  The Primacy 4 is a summer touring tyre, more for general use

The Pilot Sport is a firmer sporty summer tyre, great for spirited drives in warmer weather, but don’t expect it to last as long as a touring tyre.

Eagle F1 (I assume you mean asymmetric 5) is an Ultra high performance (UHP) sporty tyre.  There is now a new version 6.   The Goodyear equivalent of the touring tyre is Efficient grip performance 2

All of these are summer tyres, so grip will fall off below about +10c in wet (nearer +4c in dry), and will be useless in sleet, snow, slush etc.

If you want an all year tyre suitable for UK climate then my current suggestions are Michelin cross climate 2 or Hankook kinergy 4S2

Hello there all - have enjoyed reading all the insights, advice and suggestions. 

not sure if I have missed any comments but I was considering doing an all 4 tyre change with KUMHO ECSTA PS71 XL FSL (235/40/19) on a Superb 208tsi 4x4. Has anyone had experience with this tyre and any feedback/opinions on it?

i have read the test reviews on the alltyretests.com site and they didn’t rate them favourably  - however I had read many reviews on tyre user forums who the majority say it is an excellent and well priced sports performance tyre, many rating it better than the trues they replaced: PZeros, Potenzas and Pirelli Cinturato (that’s a pretty big call)! Has anyone here got a personal review on a similar specc’d car. 

Thanks in advance 

I had Kumho on my last car (Subaru). They gave a good ride and are grippy. But they only lasted about 10,000 miles. When I switched to PS4s on the same car, same driving style, they did nearly 20,000 miles. So although the Kumhos are cheaper to buy, they are more expensive per mile.

34 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I had Kumho on my last car (Subaru). They gave a good ride and are grippy. But they only lasted about 10,000 miles. When I switched to PS4s on the same car, same driving style, they did nearly 20,000 miles. So although the Kumhos are cheaper to buy, they are more expensive per mile.

Thanks @nicknorman appreciate the advice. Other than the mileage did you rate them as a good all round tyre?

6 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

The Pilot Sport is a firmer sporty summer tyre, great for spirited drives in warmer weather, but don’t expect it to last as long as a touring tyre.

Eagle F1 (I assume you mean asymmetric 5) is an Ultra high performance (UHP) sporty tyre.  There is now a new version 6.   The Goodyear equivalent of the touring tyre is Efficient grip performance 2

All of these are summer tyres, so grip will fall off below about +10c in wet (nearer +4c in dry), and will be useless in sleet, snow, slush etc.

If you want an all year tyre suitable for UK climate then my current suggestions are Michelin cross climate 2 or Hankook kinergy 4S2

I think the primacy 4 is what I need, but can only find it for about £208 per tyre which is crazy, the “cheaper” primacy 4s I can see is for Volvos grr.

Father in law has the eagle F1 assymetric 5’s on his A4 and have lasted ages but noisy whereas I want a quiet ish tyre.

So I think it’s down to primacy 4 or new Michelin PS5, but I will checkout the Goodyear Efficient grip 2 so thanks for that :)

6 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Hmm, just tried searching for Goodyear Efficient grips on black circles, my tyres, camskill can’t find them.

This 235/40/19 size is very annoying and needlessly expensive compared to 245, but I can’t be bothered with the insurance hassle either grr

On 06/02/2022 at 10:56, DomVH said:

Thanks @nicknorman appreciate the advice. Other than the mileage did you rate them as a good all round tyre?

Yes I really liked them,  very grippy, and when I changed to Michelin PS4S they gave a noticeably harsher ride which I didn’t much like. But lasted twice as long!

So a quick update.  I'm going to keep my crappy tyres on for now and hopefully it'll pass MOT, I've looked and cracking on the tread does not mean a fail which is good, different if it's on the side face from what I can tell.

The reason i'm waiting is because I've heard good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5 except for the noise levels, now they have a new Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 I will go with that.

Only problem is the Asymmetric 6 is not out yet in 235/40/19, so I just rang them and it'll become available in 235/40/19 4th April 2022, so will depend on when wholesalers get them but should be pretty quick.

If my car fails MOT because of tyres in March then i'll have to get the Michelin PS5, but at the moment holding out for Asymmetric 6's

2 hours ago, Danoid said:

So a quick update.  I'm going to keep my crappy tyres on for now and hopefully it'll pass MOT, I've looked and cracking on the tread does not mean a fail which is good, different if it's on the side face from what I can tell.

The reason i'm waiting is because I've heard good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5 except for the noise levels, now they have a new Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 I will go with that.

Only problem is the Asymmetric 6 is not out yet in 235/40/19, so I just rang them and it'll become available in 235/40/19 4th April 2022, so will depend on when wholesalers get them but should be pretty quick.

If my car fails MOT because of tyres in March then i'll have to get the Michelin PS5, but at the moment holding out for Asymmetric 6's

You're driving a Superb MK3, not a Ferrari.

For most people including the passengers, the Superb MK3 would be better off with more refined summer touring tyres than UHP summer tyres.

Don't think of UHP summer tyres as always better than more balanced summer touring tyres, because they aren't.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Carlston said:

You're driving a Superb MK3, not a Ferrari.

For most people including the passengers, the Superb MK3 would be better off with more refined summer touring tyres than UHP summer tyres.

Don't think of UHP summer tyres as always better than a more balanced summer touring tyre, because they aren't.

Haha very true about what we drive.

The problem is I only want Michelin or Goodyear tyres.

I can’t get Michelin Primacy 4’s in my size unless it’s Volvo spec which is no good

The Goodyear efficient grip (Primacy 4 equivalent) is impossible to get also.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat / looking to replace my P7's when I change back to summer tires.

Was leaning towards the P Zero PZ4 after reading this review: https://www.evo.co.uk/tyre-reviews/18309/best-car-tyres-evo-performance-tyre-test

But just saw that Michelin have released the Pilot Sport 5: https://www.evo.co.uk/news/204555/michelin-pilot-sport-5-ultra-high-performance-tyre-now-available

12 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Homologated to Volvo, be a pain explaining to insurance

??? In the UK there are no restrictions on what make or model of tyre you fit. Never heard of any insurance company being interested either. So long its MOT legal thats all they care about.

1 minute ago, xman said:

??? In the UK there are no restrictions on what make or model of tyre you fit. Never heard of any insurance company being interested either. So long its MOT legal thats all they care about.

I’m in UK yeah, as the tyres are different spec to OE it’s an easy get out clause for insurance should anything happen.

I could ring them and they’ll probably be fine but will be hard to explain it them if they don’t know what I’m on about, like I’ve had in the past

”These tyres are approved for Volvos, hard luck try it again”

• Groan 1

The insurance company wouldn't be interested in the slightest, they'd be far more concerned about those tyres you're riding on now. They look ready to fall apart. I'd be surprised if the MOT tester didn't at least put an advisory on your MOT history.

Edited by xman

57 minutes ago, Danoid said:

The problem is I only want Michelin or Goodyear tyres.

I can’t get Michelin Primacy 4’s in my size unless it’s Volvo spec which is no good

The Goodyear efficient grip (Primacy 4 equivalent) is impossible to get also.

The 18" and 19" options do limit your choice.

For a better ride, 16" and 17" would be the way forward and cheaper too.

215/60R16 95V Michelin Primacy 4+

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s111p209556/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Primacy_4%2B_-_215_60_R16_95V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_69dB

215/55R17 94W Goodyear EfficientGrip 2

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s1714p188452/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_EfficientGrip_Performance_2_-_215_55_R17_94W_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_69dB

Edited by Carlston

7 minutes ago, xman said:

The insurance company wouldn't be interested in the slightest, they'd be far more concerned about those tyres you're riding on now. They look ready to fall apart. I'd be surprised if the MOT tester didn't at least put an advisory on your MOT history.

They’ll be an advisory for sure as they were last year too but reading tyre manufacturers as long as it’s on the tyre tread block it’s okay, but I’ll be swapping them way before the legal limit 

• 3 weeks later...