How disable alarm without remote locking?

Both of my key batteries have gone flat within a few days of each other, I haven’t had time to grab a pack of new batteries yet so I’m just manually locking and unlocking the car with passenger side lock, however this always triggers the alarm. I know I can disable the alarm by double clicking the lock button on the remote but I don’t know how to disable it using the manual lock. It’s getting a bit tiresome setting the alarm off and as I work unsociable shifts my neighbours may not appreciate the alarm at 4am for long 🤣

8 hours ago, roottoot said:

Is there are turn off alarm button on the drivers door?

This only turns off the Interior monitor and towing protection part.

If the driver's door of a vehicle with a remote control is unlocked and opened by the lock cylinder, then the alarm is triggered.

The alarm system is also deactivated if you unlock the driver door using the key within 45 seconds of locking the vehicle.

But this will leave the car unlocked!

9 hours ago, Phoenixd said:

I don’t know how to disable it

What about pulling a fuse from the fuse box in the car :-  number  17 is listed as 'Alarm system, horn. '

You might not have a working horn though.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AGFalco said:

What about pulling a fuse from the fuse box in the car :-  number  17 is listed as 'Alarm system, horn. '

You might not have a working horn though.

Thanks. AG Falco

Thanks for the helpful response :) that may well be an option if I don’t get the keys sorted on Sunday, will just pull it when I park and pop it back before I drive if I have to. 

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

Is getting the batteries into the key fobs not much easier than messing about?

It would be but I don’t currently have any of the right type. 

40 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

It must be very time consuming buying a couple of fob batteries???

Wow thanks for the very (un)helpful response 🙄 Not particularly time consuming but unfortunately I didn’t have time to go before work today, the shops won’t be open when I finish at midnight and I’m not that bothered about using the key manually until I go shopping on Sunday, I just wanted to know how to cancel the alarm is all. 

• Haha 1

Well if I was messing up other people's life, like having my car alarm going off because I needed to replace the fob battery, CR2025 I'd think, I would have got out earlier the next day to when it first happened and bought batteries before heading into work, it can be easy to do the right thing.

• Like 2

Phoenixd, I don't know if you can cancel the alarm other than the interior and tilt button - but I did wonder (unless it was a typo) if using the driver's door instead of passenger's might save the alarm going off.  Low charge in the car's battery can effect the alarm (and lots of other systems).

I'd take a bit of care where and what batteries you buy as some seem to find they don't last, Duracell have been mentioned but who knows they might have been old stock or wrong size or even counterfeit.

Check what size you need, 2025 are 20mm wide by 2.5mm deep and 2032 are 20mm wide and, drum roll, 3.2mm deep.

Whilst you have the keyfobs open you might want to clean them appropriately the connections and button pad inside and out.

I recommend, if you're not already doing so, or using both anyway,  alternating the use of the keyfobs to even out wear on batteries , the key blades and cylinder locks, plus you then know where to find the "spare set".

Don't use newspaper for cleaning, the ink is different now, any other 'Grandad' tips you need just ask.

11 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Well if I was messing up other people's life, like having my car alarm going off because I needed to replace the fob battery,

Could be worse, the Porsche alarms used to go off by themselves including middle of the night and very early mornings, German engineering excellency. 🤣

11 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Well if I was messing up other people's life, like having my car alarm going off because I needed to replace the fob battery, CR2025 I'd think, I would have got out earlier the next day to when it first happened and bought batteries before heading into work, it can be easy to do the right thing.

I’m not sure that the alarm going off once yesterday at 3pm will have messed up many peoples lives, as I’ve already said I didn’t have time yesterday, but I’m sorry that my work schedule and personal commitments have offended you. It’s also easy to be polite and helpful instead of being a ***** but hey you haven’t managed that 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Crying 1

6 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Phoenixd, I don't know if you can cancel the alarm other than the interior and tilt button - but I did wonder (unless it was a typo) if using the driver's door instead of passenger's might save the alarm going off.  Low charge in the car's battery can effect the alarm (and lots of other systems).

I'd take a bit of care where and what batteries you buy as some seem to find they don't last, Duracell have been mentioned but who knows they might have been old stock or wrong size or even counterfeit.

Check what size you need, 2025 are 20mm wide by 2.5mm deep and 2032 are 20mm wide and, drum roll, 3.2mm deep.

Whilst you have the keyfobs open you might want to clean them appropriately the connections and button pad inside and out.

I recommend, if you're not already doing so, or using both anyway,  alternating the use of the keyfobs to even out wear on batteries , the key blades and cylinder locks, plus you then know where to find the "spare set".

Don't use newspaper for cleaning, the ink is different now, any other 'Grandad' tips you need just ask.

There isn’t a physical button on the car and the settings on the screen don’t seem to have helped, unfortunately the lock barrel is on the passenger side and it only unlocks the passenger door, so I unlock it, trigger the alarm and then have to climb over to the drivers side to switch on the ignition and cancel the alarm, it wouldn’t be so bad if the drivers door unlocked at least, but maybe there is a setting I can change for that too? Thanks for the advice about the batteries. I didn’t previously alternate but I will now to try and avoid wearing one out. 

Phoenixd, (also bear in mind two wrongs don't make a right) have a good look at the thread below as I think it is very relevant to you, but note Oldhamer put "It worked, apart from setting alarm off ..." I'm not sure why that was but I don't think it should have happened normally. -

Edited by nta16
now it's the right link

4 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Phoenixd, (also bear in mind two wrongs don't make a right) have a good look at the thread below as I think it is very relevant to you, but note Oldhamer put "It worked, apart from setting alarm off ..." I'm not sure why that was but I don't think it should have happened normally. -

Thanks, I’d already read that topic and it will help me resynch the key once the new fob battery is in, but he has the same problem I do, using the manual lock on the door will always set the alarm off, it’s not a fault and has nothing to do with the vehicle battery being low. Hopefully it will be a simple case of putting the new battery in the key today and all will be good. (I’ll also try and avoid Duracell batteries!) 

Duplicate link, no longer required but can't delete post.

Edited by nta16
duplicate post, not required

Just now, Phoenixd said:

Thanks, I’d already read that topic

Fine, just checking you know there's a hidden cylinder lock on the driver's door (I don't think there's a cylinder lock on the passenger's door of my wife's 2015 Mk3).

3 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Fine, just checking you know there's a hidden cylinder lock on the driver's door (I don't think there's a cylinder lock on the passenger's door of my wife's 2015 Mk3).

Oh right, no there isn’t one on the drivers sided mine  (2019 mk3) only the passenger side, which is why it’s frustrating that it only unlocks that door so I then have to climb in and over to get the ignition and open the drivers door from the inside (meaning it also takes longer to cancel the alarm). Provided I can get the batteries to behave in at least one key it’ll only need to happen once more today and then normal service will be resumed :) 

7 minutes ago, Phoenixd said:

using the manual lock on the door will always set the alarm off, it’s not a fault and has nothing to do with the vehicle battery being low.

Yes, but Oldhamer was synchronising the remote keyfob so should have pressed a button which would disarm the alarm.

3 minutes ago, Phoenixd said:

no there isn’t one on the drivers sided mine  (2019 mk3) only the passenger side, which is why it’s frustrating that it only unlocks that door so I then have to climb in and over to get the ignition and open the drivers door from the inside

Such is progress! 😄

When you some good batteries in and all this will be over.

Good luck let us know how you get on and if you find a solution to the alarm if no one posts it here.

Too late now, but I'd hope that if you buy a Duracell replacement battery or 2 in a pack, from a supermarket which is one of the easiest places probably as they have long trading hours and a car park, that would fix this for the time being.

VW Group have at least for the past 20 years only ever fitted Panasonic and tend to buy them from online traders and to date have not ended up buying copies or duds, normally the smart traders show an actual picture of the batteries mounted on cardboard pack and so show you the expiry date. I replaced the batteries for my wife's August 2015 VW Polo when the car was 6 years old, it just made sense to me to do that before they gave trouble - that car just has normal remote central locking, ie no KESSY.

Something crazy about that car's front door door locks, normally for a car with central locking mechanically(using the key) on either front door will give you global unlocking as well as global locking and though in each case only give you a very short "alarm inhibit period" - so game over as far as climbing across the car before getting the ignition key in the lock.

I'm assuming that there is no lock barrel on the driver's side front door - is that true or does it not work for some other reason?

Trying to find an easy way to disable any factory fitted car alarm without digging deep is never going to be a possibility just because it is part of a security system. The easiest way round it is to unplug the alarm horn box AND unbolt it and soundproof it somewhere, but it resides under the front splash guard, so involves doing things like removing wiper arms.

I was not trying to destroy you, but sometimes you need to able to stand back and sort out the root cause of problems - and in this case that was only ever going to be making the effort to buy and fit new batteries to these keys.