End of the line.....

Well it's looks like it could be the end of the line for my time driving Skoda.

I have had 2 mk3 Superbs both have been great cars but skoda have out priced themselves and with 52 wks to order not looking good.

And to top that I wanted to go to the iv s3 bit that means paying good old Boris £490 a year in tax.

Well looking at Hyundai and Kia Hybrids now see how they fair up before ordering.

Such a shame I've loved my S3 and more so my sportline plus.

Edited by Sevlow8

If you like the current one so much, why are you choosing to get rid of it 

Surely it’s not worn out and only fit for scrap man yet.

• Like 1

the £490 tax is a government rule and applies to all makes of cars over £40k list, so not skoda's fault

and the long wait for a new car is covid related so not skoda's fault either

when the superb facelift came out, prices  increased, but so did the discounts,  so it was a false increase.

brokers like carwow, drivethedeal etc used to give around 11- 12% or so discount,  but now you can get 23%

To be fair. The Superb is now the same price as the Passat, even with the down-market interior.

Objectively, there are better value BEVs / PHEVs around. The value the superb and Passat have is the massive boot and interior space.

What models are you looking at @Sevlow8

10 hours ago, 310golfr said:

the £490 tax is a government rule and applies to all makes of cars over £40k list, so not skoda's fault

and the long wait for a new car is covid related so not skoda's fault either

when the superb facelift came out, prices  increased, but so did the discounts,  so it was a false increase.

brokers like carwow, drivethedeal etc used to give around 11- 12% or so discount,  but now you can get 23%

But it is Skoda’s choice to raise the list price above £40k, then offer them at discounts taking price back below £40k.  

As the tax is based on list price, it is a stupid policy.   Especially when there is a waiting list and they have no need to dump unsold stock on brokers.

11 hours ago, Patent said:

To be fair. The Superb is now the same price as the Passat, even with the down-market interior.

Objectively, there are better value BEVs / PHEVs around. The value the superb and Passat have is the massive boot and interior space.

What models are you looking at @Sevlow8

Well 

Looking at 2 possibles at min Hyundai tuscon and kia sportage when it arrives in showroom.

Would like volvo  xc40 but that also the 40k issue 

I did consider the octavia  but think it's too small compared to the superb and the interior finish is very plastic.

Why am I changing basically cause I couldn't take the hit out of warranty and also rules around our car allowance criteria.

At present I'm in no rush but the fiance quotes on the tuscon prove way cheaper than skodas quotes.

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

But it is Skoda’s choice to raise the list price above £40k, then offer them at discounts taking price back below £40k.  

As the tax is based on list price, it is a stupid policy.   Especially when there is a waiting list and they have no need to dump unsold stock on brokers.

i think all manufacturers inflate there list prices to give them a bit of leeway for fleet discounts and with the price of everything going up at the moment, more and more cars are falling into the £40k bracket

government really needs to increase the £40k to £45k or so, or better still, scrap it and increase the free or £20/£30 road tax to £150 or thereabouts

i think the op is right to refuse to buy a car over £40k, i've done the same, i ordered a superb instead of an arteon mainly for this very reason

if everyone done the same there would be compounds full of unsold £40k+ cars  and the government would be forced to scrap the tax, it's because people are paying it, it's still there

On 15/01/2022 at 11:39, Patent said:

I saw a new Sportage last week, actually quite striking in the flesh!

It's a colour thing I think, most piccies/colour swatches can't even get close to a car 'in the flesh' - though not even daylight can help the latest Landrover 🤢

Funnily enough I came from a Sportage, MY18 so pre-facelift. Was an OK car, but, tbh the build quality definitely felt downmarket. It just felt like everything was a bit tinny and thin. We had the 1.6T GTLS so top of the range (and the thing I do like for a simple life is that they don't do options the trim level is the trim level). 

The single worst thing is the DSG. It is not an intelligent system and has a dry-clutch setup. I almost always chucked it into manual so I was in the right gear to get over the rubbish software, but the clutch is beyond your control. You're not meant to creep in traffic as the clutch builds too much heat. And if you're just trying to trickle along at idle in gear, it constantly dips and lets out the clutch jerking away like someone who's never driven before. The VAG wet-clutch system trickles to and from standstill like a torque-converter auto - smooth as butter. The dry-clutch Kia system acts like you're throwing bricks at random pedals. 

The Sportage and Tucson are the same car under the skin basically so I'd expect the same. Problem I had with the Tucson was that there was no Petrol/Auto/AWD option.

Edited by travs