So Much for buying British !

Yetianimal

Michelin turn out some real crap that manufacturers fit as OEM like the Primacy 4, ECO tyres that give range to EV's / Hybrids but i had off my car within 2 days of getting it and putting CrossClimates on.  Then they were changed for Alpin 6's.

TIGAR Synergy would have been an improvement for Summer use for traction over the Primacy 4's as i know from having used them in the past.

I have also used TIGAR winter tyres which were excellent. Performing better than even Michelin Winter tyres.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

My take is simply Buyer beware. Some online companies guarantee fresh build dates others do not. My impression is that Avon have always been a budget tyre that has the added bonus of ultra fast wear.

Cracking like that shown is common across many makes, one reason I gave up on Michelin. Apparently partly down to low useage and stood outside exposed to the elements and UV. Low mileage users who don't move their car often, the oils in the compound don't get exercised and the surfaces dry out and cracking occurs. But that typical example is not a safety issue, simply a cosmetic one, that part is not on contact with road after all.

No perfect tyre, all a collection of compromises, this months batch may be different from last months depending who mixed the ingredients. In the past I stuck to Continental Premium Contacts for my Alhambra as no alternatives were available on my size, each set was different, made in Portugal, Spain, Hungary 8mm, 7mm

Several years ago I bought a used spare wheel/tyre from ebay for our fabia. Fitted with an old BF Goodrich G grip tyre (49/09) Pressed into use many times over the years, currently fitted on our remaining fabia, its been quite a remarkable tyre, low wear, no sign of the cracking I regularly saw on Michelins, or borderline delamination on every Goodyear Efficient Grip performance when worn. Tyre walls still look like new, no deterioration apparent. Tyre was made in Poland, BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin.

• Like 2

I had a feeling my previous Michelins Energy EB1 were made in Poland, your post suggests my memory might not have been wrong.

It made me think of Barum, a Continental brand and I've Continental tyres on now, Barum at least IIRC were made in Poland.

On 19/01/2022 at 20:08, xman said:

the oils in the compound don't get exercised and the surfaces dry out and cracking occurs

I've always thought that but can't remember see it it written down by a manufacturer (but I got the idea from somewhere).

I think there is a recommendation out to not fit "new" tyres older than 4 - four - years.

I have just replaced the rear bike tyre which was getting onto 10+ years. I do not use the bike too much. No cracks, just the odd puncture.

My daughter's car just had a set of new ones after her old tyres started to develop small cracks at 9 years. The tyres were Dunlop.

It is not the brand that is the problem. Often it is environmental damage such as use, sun, salt...

And as said before your warranty claim is with the seller, not the manufacturer. You can be lucky and the manufacturer is willing to help, but they will need to see the product. Not many will send out 4 new tyres simply on your word.