Roomster cruise control compatibility

Blastov

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of fitting cruise control to my Roomster for a while but the kits are a bit pricier than I can afford.

I've seen a cheap second hand kit on ebay but it doesn't have the buttons for the MFD.

My question is, could I use the wiring setup of this kit and then buy separately the stalks with the extra buttons or is there other differences that would stop this from working?

Many thanks

George

I have looked at this myself. A year or two ago the kit was being sold by various folk on EBay. However, I understand it would still need to be activated by a dealer. Also, I find that a lot of the European sellers are sources and a bit dodgy. The stuff they sell is for Euro spec cars and often useless for the U.K. same issue with other vehicles. I found it tricky buying bit for my Boxer based camper. Loads of left hand drive parts being passed off. 
I gave up with the cruise control in the end but will watch this thread to see if you find a way through.

You need a compatible BCM, the stalk, some wiring and then VCDS or similar to code the car. You do not need to go to a dealer.

Continental european sellers are no less dodgy than english ones. If you know the part numbers there is not much they can dodge. I have bought parts from left hand drive cars and it all works fine. There are some that are truly specific for right or left hand drive.

I have only used cruise control on automatic models which change gear to maintain speed, for example, going up an incline. How does a manual gearbox deal with changing inclines as it is fixed in same gear until changed by the driver. Presumably the cruise control disengages when a gear change is executed, but if left would it not labour and grind to a halt? Please enlighten me.

On 22/01/2022 at 16:59, 26DIPP said:

You need a compatible BCM, the stalk, some wiring and then VCDS or similar to code the car. You do not need to go to a dealer.

Continental european sellers are no less dodgy than english ones. If you know the part numbers there is not much they can dodge. I have bought parts from left hand drive cars and it all works fine. There are some that are truly specific for right or left hand drive.

Right okay, if I bought a kit designed for stalks without the trip computer buttons. Could the wiring and ECU could be used with some stalks that have the trip computer buttons? Or is there deeper difference?

20 hours ago, edbostan said:

I have only used cruise control on automatic models which change gear to maintain speed, for example, going up an incline. How does a manual gearbox deal with changing inclines as it is fixed in same gear until changed by the driver. Presumably the cruise control disengages when a gear change is executed, but if left would it not labour and grind to a halt? Please enlighten me.

I used to have a Vauxhall insignia which would switch off the cruise control if the revs dropped below 1000, I presume this must be true on other vehicles too.