SD card stuck

Hi I've just got an '18 plate VRS with Nav and it has two SD card slots in the glovebox.

There is an SD card already in the left slot, but it is stuck fast.  Nav does work, but i want to update the maps.

Just checking - is this card meant to be stuck (and therefore I should just put the update on another SD and use slot 2 )? 

If not and it's a fault - is this a known issue and is there a way to release the card?  There is nothing to grab onto without risking breaking the sd card, there is only a tiny bit sticking out.

thanks!

Just to make it clear, you do know that sd cards are released by simply pushing them right in and then they will spring out? Its a sprung loaded bi-locking mechanism....push to latch, push to release...

Sorry if you already know this.....

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, xman said:

Just to make it clear, you do know that sd cards are released by simply pushing them right in and then they will spring out? Its a sprung loaded bi-locking mechanism....push to latch, push to release...

Sorry if you already know this.....

Haha, yeah I did know but that would have been a proper Homer Simpson d'oh moment!  😄

It's completely solid, can't push it in to make it click and release.  Shame they didn't put a little pin hole to release the mechanism like you used to get on old cdrom/floppy disk drives (showing my age there i suspect!!)

If you do get the card out and it's damaged, you have to replace it with an original Skoda SD card . An ordinary SD card will not work.

Edited by ords
correction

I believe there is a possibility to update maps via USB. Please investigate.

SD cards itself acts as an internal memory for amundsen, and possibility to remove is a nice shortcut, but could be that it is not mandatory at all.

4 hours ago, ords said:

you have to replace it with an original Skoda SD card . An ordinary SD card will not work.

Just to clarify that's true only with an Amundsen (which reads the maps directly from the SD card), with a Columbus the maps are stored on an internal HDD and can be updated using any SD card.

1 hour ago, nidza said:

I believe there is a possibility to update maps via USB. Please investigate.

SD cards itself acts as an internal memory for amundsen, and possibility to remove is a nice shortcut, but could be that it is not mandatory at all.

Not so - with an Amundsen there is no internal memory, the maps are read directly from the SD card which must be present at all times.

The Columbus does have an internal HDD where the maps are stored.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Not so - with an Amundsen there is no internal memory, the maps are read directly from the SD card which must be present at all times.

The Columbus does have an internal HDD where the maps are stored.

The card IS present, and as the main problem seems permanently, so like it or not, it became internal memory. :D

1 minute ago, nidza said:

The card IS present, and as the main problem seems permanently, so like it or not, it became internal memory. :D

... more like non-removable external memory 😚

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ords said:

Does the OP have Amundsen or Columbus?  I don't know if the Columbus also has 2 SD slots.

For information (for future searches) - in the Glove Box with the Columbus you have the CD Player and 2x SD Slots.

You can place music/media cards into both slots, or I have all my music on a card in Slot 2 and I then insert a standard SD Card into Slot 1 when it comes to map update time.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So good news and bad news on this.

Good news, the card has been freed, undamaged.

Bad news, it was an SD card locker theft prevention device, so presumably I've paid top whack for an ex-hire vehicle.  🤦‍♂️

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've the same issue - SD1 card 1 seems jammed in - I've tried press to release, I've tried *gently* pulling at it (once selected "safely remove SD1"). No luck. I don't want to get too heavy handed for fear of breaking the thing! I can't see any evidence of a brass clip.

OP - were you able to resolve this yourself, or was it a dealer job?

Many thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, aljw said:

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've the same issue - SD1 card 1 seems jammed in - I've tried press to release, I've tried *gently* pulling at it (once selected "safely remove SD1"). No luck. I don't want to get too heavy handed for fear of breaking the thing! I can't see any evidence of a brass clip.

OP - were you able to resolve this yourself, or was it a dealer job?

Many thanks for any help!

Hi mate, unfortunately it was a dealer job.  I think you'd need some kind of tool to release it. It certainly wouldn't budge at all with needlenose pliers.

Where did you get the car from out of interest?

2 minutes ago, aljw said:

Cazoo. It was a pretty amazing customer experience, I may give them a try.

Thanks ajm83!

Interesting, mine was from there as well...

Still wouldn't have any problem recommending them. I had a couple of quibbles with the car and they sorted it no questions asked.

Hi all, I have a similar but slightly different issue. I have just purchased a 2019 vrs estate. The navigation system says 'navigation database not available'. There are no sd cards in the unit within the glove box. I will enquire with the garage I purchased it from tomorrow, as well as read the handbook. Could anyone briefly explain to me if this is where the sd card for the nav system goes? If there is no card available from the garage I have found some people pushing them out for 20 - 50 quid on ebay. Does anyone have any experience of these working?? Otherwise it will be a trip tonthe dealer. Thanks in advance.