Sorry - yet another mapping database update question

Phutters

For some unknown reason my car (MY21 Karoq with Amundsen MIB3) won't do online map updates like I think it should be doing.

It also won't do online destination imports using either the MySkoda app or the Connect portal, though that might be a separate unrelated  issue.

I have a live Connect license; all the permissions are correctly set and we're hooked up to the 'net whenever the ignition is on. Everything else that should work does work. The current map database is 21.1 and the MIB is running on the 0270 software version.

Customer Services aren't much help, bless them - all they can really suggest is visiting the dealership. I'll do that if I have to, but I couldn't see any harm in trying the manual map update first (assuming that 21.1 is indeed out of date).

I know what's involved in this manual update malarkey, but I don't know how long the fully-loaded USB-C flash drive needs to be plugged in to the car for the MIB to pull the update on board. 

Is it hours, or days, or months, or what? Has anyone else cracked this?

It isn't a massive deal in the overall scheme of things - I can use the satnav as it is now or if it gets me hopelessly lost I can use Waze or Google maps on CarPlay instead. If none of that works I can get Mrs Phutters to poke her sextant out of the window and do it the properly old-fashioned way.

I'm fuelled by both curiosity and the fact that I'm paying for a Connect license which is not doing what it says on the tin, at least in part.

Thanks

P.S. Customer Services are looking into the destination import issue on a separate ticket. They've been looking into it since the middle of October, actually. Periodically I'll get a nice email from the case manager saying that the factory boffins have twiddled a knob somewhere and could I try it again, because they think they've fixed it...

Edited by Phutters

21.1 is short code for 2021 January - for example, my latest maps are 21.11 , 2021 November

The main software version 0270 you mention is now out of date and has been superseded by a later version to resolve various issues such as online downloads not working and other glitches in the head unit software , which is dealer installation only - similar issues were affecting other VW Group vehicles including my Tiguan - glad to say the software fix resolved the issues.

Ask your dealers to check for any TPIs about software updates and Field Recalls for your car

Edited by phope
  • Like 1

In fact, ask your dealer about whether TPI reference number 2063258/7 is potentially the solution to your map download issue.

This should update you to software version 0276 or later.

1008198225_Screenshot2022-02-01at20_00_06.thumb.png.def6cc405a8e4ec70a63a819e9230e28.png

8248226_Screenshot2022-02-01at20_00_20.thumb.png.3d217305d16f10bacdcf4829086c8fa2.png

1 hour ago, phope said:

The main software version 0270 you mention is now out of date and has been superseded by a later version to resolve various issues such as online downloads not working and other glitches in the head unit software , which is dealer installation only - similar issues were affecting other VW Group vehicles including my Tiguan - glad to say the software fix resolved the issues.

Ask your dealers to check for any TPIs about software updates and Field Recalls for your car

Very informative posts phope, of the symptoms listed I have two, no overair downloads and the headlight message, I will ask my dealer for the update re your advice , but I noticed under workshop findings it says "The customer statement can be reproduced", as the headlight message is intermittent and map download has never happened overair it seems to imply they will not do it unless they can reproduce?, + Do you know how quick it is for them to do it, as I'm in for first service in March, expect them to say not enough time to do both....

Just be firm and polite with the service advisors and make sure your issues are noted clearly at the time of booking

When my Tiguan was in for its fix, it was all done within 3-4 hours - that included it's first oil change service, a field recall for the Online Connectivity Unit software and the upload of the software version 0276...plus a reset of the IQ matrix LED lighting that had somehow lost its auto high beam function!

• Thanks 1

My Karoq was on 0270 when it went in for its first service last November, but the map database had been updated several times during 2021. 

As I'd heard on the forum that the general software had been updated to 0276, I asked for it to be updated during the service, and also mentioned a couple of intermittent faults - traffic assist not available, lane assist not available & dynamic road signs not available. The dealer serviced the car and booked it back in for a new steering wheel/controller unit to cure the intermittent faults, but said the software was up to date. 

While I was waiting for the new steering wheel to be delivered, I suffered the SOS Not Available fault and reported this to the dealer. When I returned to get the new steering wheel fitted, they also updated the software to 0276! So it seemed to me that the software update was only installed if you reported a fault which it would cure! (I understand from my dealer that it takes several hours to download and install the software update.)

Since then the navigation database has updated itself again... to 21.9 last December, and again to 21.11 in January. This is all completely in the background and I see no messages about it being updated - unlike the updates to the shop etc. 

I also have problems with Skoda Connect and the My Skoda app sending destinations to the car. Sometimes it works, while other times it might not arrive until I'm actually on the journey, but I'm putting this down to excess demands on the Skoda cloud software and the data messages getting delayed.

Chris

Very helpful info all - recently our Info-online expired after its first year free subscription and I thought I'd have a go at updating the maps. Went to the software info screen and was surprised to see the map data was from October 2020 when the car was built, so clearly online updates never happened as they should. Ages ago I also had a couple of instances where the car flashed up messages about the headlights being set up for left hand (or visa versa) traffic. So it would seem this latest TPI needs applying to our car - bearing in mind it went in for its 1st service last November, I'm somewhat concerned that the dealer didn't install it. Guess if it takes a long time and we had no outstanding problems/glitches that needed fixing they simply did the oil change and left it at that. Unfortunately side assist has now failed so the car will be going in for that to be fixed - will get them to do this TPI software update at same time.

No harm in asking - explain to the service advisers the issues you’ve experienced and ask them to raise this specific TPI with the technicians to see if it is a potential way of fix/resolution 

4 hours ago, phope said:

No harm in asking - explain to the service advisers the issues you’ve experienced and ask them to raise this specific TPI with the technicians to see if it is a potential way of fix/resolution 

E mailed the garage re the update, goes from a while I wait 1st service to a we need the car all day, decision decisions...😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryfly said:

E mailed the garage re the update, goes from a while I wait 1st service to a we need the car all day

Pah. I went to see the dealer this morning and they said they might need it for two days. I resisted the temptation to ask them why they needed to drop the engine and replace the big end shells to update the MIB software.

Other than the slightly surprising estimate of how long it might take, they were more than happy to check the TPI situation and do the dirty deed.

Which reminds me to ask them not to wash it with the works sponge afterwards.

I'm beside myself with excitement at the prospect of using an up-to-date satnav.

I'll have to think of somewhere new to go.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Phutters said:

Pah. I went to see the dealer this morning and they said they might need it for two days. I resisted the temptation to ask them why they needed to drop the engine and replace the big end shells to update the MIB software.

Other than the slightly surprising estimate of how long it might take, they were more than happy to check the TPI situation and do the dirty deed.

Which reminds me to ask them not to wash it with the works sponge afterwards.

I'm beside myself with excitement at the prospect of using an up-to-date satnav.

I'll have to think of somewhere new to go.

From another thread on this forum I see that the latest cars being delivered come with software 0302. Don't know how this has changed from 0276 but it'll be interesting to see which level you get.  

I can only relate to my own experience where multiple updates of the same type, diagnostic fixes and a oil change service on a similar car was done within 3-4 hours

I know this as they picked it up from my office, took it away, and rang me to say when it was ready

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJJE said:

From another thread on this forum I see that the latest cars being delivered come with software 0302. Don't know how this has changed from 0276 but it'll be interesting to see which level you get.  

I'll ask for 0467. It'd be nice to get a head start on the rest of you.

• Like 2

Just to throw a spanner in the works..

Our Karoq was collected at the end of Sept 2021.

A while ago I had a message appear that said the 'software' needed updating, and that this would NOT happen when the car was moving!!!

I hit OK and left it to its own devices (I'm assuming it does it in chunks when the ignition is on but the engine is not, actually I have no idea how it works)

Anyhow - having read this thread here is my 2 pennorth...

My Software version is 0278, and the maps database is version 21.11.

Apart from pressing OK sometime last year I have done nothing else.

Now, this is not to say I dont have any issues.

Try as I may I dont seem to be able to add my missus as a second user (key holder)?

We have driver personalisation, and the electric chair, I am keen to get the electrocution of the subsidiary driver set up 😉.

I have spoke to the 'tech' who is supposed to know about these things. To be fair he did seem knowledgable.

He checked my Skoda connect account and all was well.

Inclusing passing the validation checks.

He suggested doing a factory reset (wiping all settings) and starting again.

I did this about a week ago.

There were initial issues in me becoming the primary user, this resolved itself after 24hrs - I have been told before that the 'server end' of this system is unreliable!

I am going to have to make an appointment to see the 'expert' so he can show me exactly how to make it all work --- I am not hopeful...

Edited by vegit8

6 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works..

Our Karoq was collected at the end of Sept 2021.

A while ago I had a message appear that said the 'software' needed updating, and that this would NOT happen when the car was moving!!!

I hit OK and left it to its own devices (I'm assuming it does it in chunks when the ignition is on but the engine is not, actually I have no idea how it works)

The only time I see these messages is when there are some minor changes to the software, and on inspecting the 'notification' area on the infotainment system they always seem to be connected to the 'shop' area on the system. 

It's interesting that your software version is 0278 as this is yet another level being installed in the factory but not by dealers!

Your maps seem to be updating correctly, but again from my experience this happens in the background without any notifications to the driver unless you actually go to check in the system settings.

Chris

• Like 1

I think our Karoqs come with Western Europe maps? But the online updates are only triggered when there is a change in your 'country'. I'm not sure if that means England or the UK for us. 

If you look on the Skoda Update website that will probably tell you what maps have been issued for Australia.

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

The only time I see these messages is when there are some minor changes to the software, and on inspecting the 'notification' area on the infotainment system they always seem to be connected to the 'shop' area on the system. 

It's interesting that your software version is 0278 as this is yet another level being installed in the factory but not by dealers!

I've had one or two of those minor changes too. The sense of disappointment when being told there's a software update available only to find that it's something which doesn't change anything remotely useful is crushing.

To be honest, I'm not really fussed which software version the garage end up installing as long as everything I want to use works properly. If 0276 makes the maps update themselves and means the remote destination input thing shows up in the car, that'll do me.

One part of me feels slightly sheepish when I'm whinging about this.

I could always use Google maps or Waze, after all. In the overall scheme of things it isn't that big a deal. It's a minor annoyance, for sure, but I have to keep poking myself in the ribs and reminding myself that before the advent of GPS - which isn't that long ago - we all used to manage just fine.

If you're paying attention to what you're doing, it's quite difficult to get properly lost in this country. And we do still have road signs. 

On the other hand I'm niggled by having something in my possession which doesn't do everything it's supposed to do, so I'll persevere with it.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Phutters said:

If 0276 makes the maps update themselves and means the remote destination input thing shows up in the car, that'll do me.

0278, definitley does remote destination input

1 hour ago, Phutters said:

I could always use Google maps or Waze

I still prefer to use Waze - my phone is much better placed in my eye line just above the air vent on the right of the dashboard, than looking at a screen in the middle of the car.

I use the central display zoomed out when driving abroad so that I can see the relative positions of towns that are less well known to me.

Just checked my 2021 (but MY22) Karoq with Amundsen and the general software is 0302, with 21.11 for the navigation. Since getting the car in August I've had notifcation of 3(?) system updates on the screen and each time selected OK; don't know the original software levels or what the updates involved.

• 3 weeks later...

The car went in yesterday and had its MIB software updated from 0270 to 0276.

I don't know whether this will improve its track record in performing the automatic mapping database updates yet, because other than driving the four miles home afterwards I haven't been anywhere.

Rather disappointingly, the online destination input thing still doesn't work. I know I'm doing everything right at my end; I just can't seem to convince the car that it has a part to play in this exciting technological development.

Could I ask someone whose destination input thing does work what I should be looking out for?

Does the car let out a little squeak of delight?

Does the dash display a jolly message with too many exclamation marks saying 'Great news!!! Your online destination has arrived!!!

Will there be animated cartoon fireworks or some little clapping hands on the screen?

Seriously though, whereabouts does the announcement of the successful receipt of a remote destination show up, and at what point in the MIB boot-up sequence?

I've gathered that they don't always show up immediately, but even half an hour after you'd arrived where you wanted it to take you would be an improvement on what mine does, which is sweet Fanny Adams.

I do accept that this is a real first-world problem, and I can quite easily manage without it, but that doesn't alter the fact that no matter how much of an electronic trinket this whizzo feature is, it should work.

I must say that the dealership were almost obsessively polite and attentive in making sure that I didn't forget to attend the appointment, sending me loads and loads of emailed reminders and things that needed to be signed on screen with a three year-old's squiggly mouse-signature. And they followed up with a phone call today asking if everything was okay, so that was good.

I got the now obligatory video record of the car's nether regions for my entertainment (though the accompanying commentary was drowned out by the clatter of pneumatic wheel guns at intervals), along with a helpful note that the front discs were lightly corroded (though the pads have more meat on them than the main course at a cannibals' banquet) and that I could sign on screen (with a three year-old's squiggly mouse-signature) to get them replaced for £418.00.

I reckon I'll give it an Italian tune-up down the bypass instead, and stand on the anchors hard half a dozen times in quick succession from an indecent clip to get them properly hot and clean them up.

Anyway, that's by the by.

I really would be very grateful if someone with a similarly-equipped car to mine (2021 Karoq/MIB3 Amundsen) could tell me what I should expect to happen if the destination import thing does work.

Thanks

Edited by Phutters

Mine has worked intermittently, and occasionally after I'd arrived at the destination!

When it does work, I get a message on the infotainment screen saying it has received a destination and do I want to store it or navigate to it. It arrives when the system has loaded itself and displayed the map in the centre of my virtual cockpit (which is the way I have mine set up). The info screen is showing the radio stations at the time.

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Mine has worked intermittently, and occasionally after I'd arrived at the destination!

When it does work, I get a message on the infotainment screen saying it has received a destination and do I want to store it or navigate to it. It arrives when the system has loaded itself and displayed the map in the centre of my virtual cockpit (which is the way I have mine set up). The info screen is showing the radio stations at the time.

Chris

Thanks

It couldn't be a virtual cockpit-only thing, surely?

I assume that the escalated bloke at Customer Services who has been doggedly* chasing this particular foible for five months knows what spec my car is? He's got the VIN number and its inside leg measurement, so I guess he should.

*Without wishing to cast nasturtiums I'm not sure I'd have said that five months with no resolution thus far is a particularly good example of doggedness, but there you go.