all season tyres skoda superb

petebryn

I had Michelin cross climates. I drove to the Alps 3 times. Never had problems. Wear wise, I put 20k on them and then sold them with 4mm left. However, I'm not really an hard driver.

New car now and I managed to pick up 4 premium, full winter tyres at a bargain price. I'll just switch at the start/end of winter. Better in the Alps but more of a pain.

3 hours ago, petebryn said:

My 2nd enquiry from you seasoned skoda owners - any suggestions for best value all season tyres ?  online surveys point to -

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evo Car Tyre

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 Car Tyre

Continental All Season Contact Car Tyre
Contiental All Season Contact

Hankook Kinergy 4S²

Kinergy 4S² H750

Do you have the 215/60R16, 215/55R17, or 235/45R18 tyre sizes?

Vredestein Quatrac are one of the highest mileage/low wear all-season tyres. They have by far the best cold, wet weather performance out of any all-season tyre. Testers have commented that they feel like a wet weather tyre, so big is the difference in cold wet grip between this and the other all-season tyres.

Kleber Quadraxer 2 are very good in the snow and the wear is similar to the excellent Vredestein Quatrac. The downside of the Kleber's excellent snow performance is the so-so summer performance. But as you are not looking for a sporty summer tyre it may be ok for you. BF Goodrich g-Grip All Season 2 is virtually the same tyre as the Kleber Quadraxer 2, so is also worth looking at. BF Goodrich and Kleber are Michelin brands. Michelin used to price the BF Goodrich higher than the Kleber, but recently that's not always the case.

Another all-season tyre I would look at is the latest Dunlop all-season tyre. This is one of the few remaining non-directional all-season tyres. The previous Vredestein Quatrac 5 was also non-directional, but not their latest Quatrac which no longer has a number after Quatrac, although some incorrectly call it the Quatrac 6.

If you're looking for a bargain basement price, then the Apollo Alnac 4G All Season tyre might be worth looking at. Like the Dunlop, it's one of the few non-directional all-season tyres. Apollo is part of the same tyre group as Vredestein, but Apollo is priced lower and not quite as good. I don't think Apollo is worth considering if the tyre size is a common and cheap one, but the Superb MK3 uses expensive tyre sizes...so might be worth considering if the price saving is enough.

Edited by Carlston

The sucking through and gnashing of teeth  [of tyre fitters] has generally put me off changing tyre size away from standard.

Sensible hat on, are there any insurance issues?

I got enough ear ache off one guy about the Cross Climates. "Oooh not the same as a proper winter tyres mate, where I live in North Wales you'd get stuck with these". Response: "I agree that full winters would be better on snow and ice but 1. I'm also from the hills of North Wales and don't be silly, maybe once every 20 years. 2. I've used the cross climates in the Alps. Didn't get stuck". Some of these guys think they work for a WRC team selecting tyres.

My new tyre place just changes them for £15 each

I've had Quatracs on my 280 for three years, albeit I've only done 10k miles in that time so can't comment on longevity. I did tow our caravan 1200 miles during the first year (the old C-19 put paid to that from 2020 onwards) and I'd go with the same ones again when I need to change. 

I felt that they had better dry grip than the original Pirellis even during spirited driving. They do understeer slightly when pushing hard round tight roundabouts on damp roads but that's more excessive approach speed than a tyre issue :D

after much thought I've decided to go for GoodyearVector 4Seasons Gen-3.  I like the durability and all round performance, and trust the braking shortfall under test was more to do with the nature of the test track than inherent deficiency.  

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, sneal said:

I’m considering all season tyres next time, found this thread interesting. Thanks.

@petebryn After changing to the Goodyear Vectors did you notice any increase in fuel consumption?

It will be marginal, but as fuel consumption varies with outside temperature you probably won’t notice

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2022 at 19:13, petebryn said:

any thoughts re switching from current 215-55-R17 to 225-55 (or65)- R17 ?

- pete.

If a MOT tester is doing their job properly, then your car should fail if you have incorrect size tyres (but some are sloppy and don’t check)

• Confused 1