Dynamic cornering light help / education

Hi all.

I have this option to set when I change individual mode under vRS button but definitely don't see any cornering light activity.

VRS mode > individual > change > Dyn. Cornering light > sport / eco / normal

I get nothing regardless of the driving mode setting.

My lights are set to left hand side traffic and dial is set to auto.

Did all 245 MY18 come with this as standard?

I'm not even sure what lights I have, just that they are bright 🤣

Any help appreciated, cheers

The dynamic cornering light effect is quite subtle from the drivers seat and only happens at low speeds. It's nothing like the 'bending xenons' of old which is more obvious and works at higher speeds.

Cornering fog lights have a much more pronounced effect although they aren't standard on a vRS, they can be coded with VCDS or similar.

• Like 2

I coded it onto my car (just because I could) and I removed it after a few weeks.

I just didn't like the flash of light coming on unannounced. I didn't find I gained anymore vision from the fog light on the corner I was turning. Being 6ft3, I'm sitting quite low in the car. Glad it wasn't an extra I paid for on my car 

I had I on a works tranny van I was asked to 'relocate'. Sat higher up I could see the lights, but I don't know why I need to have the gutter illuminating.

Fog lights are for your own visibility in the fog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tunedude said:

I coded it onto my car (just because I could) and I removed it after a few weeks.

I just didn't like the flash of light coming on unannounced. I didn't find I gained anymore vision from the fog light on the corner I was turning. Being 6ft3, I'm sitting quite low in the car. Glad it wasn't an extra I paid for on my car 

I had I on a works tranny van I was asked to 'relocate'. Sat higher up I could see the lights, but I don't know why I need to have the gutter illuminating.

That’s not the same as dynamic cornering lights, which, use additional LEDs within the main cluster to change the beam “shape”.

Youre describing cornering lights which utilise the fog lights for low speed manoeuvres, as you’ve rightly described. 

Easy to get mixed up as they sound similar but are actually quite different.

The swivelling xenon’s from the pre-facelift were great. I much preferred their behaviour over the facelift, but prefer the light output of the facelift. Must be some technical reason why LEDs couldn’t use the same system?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, langers2k said:

It's nothing like the 'bending xenons' of old which is more obvious and works at higher speeds.

So I won't see them when stationary?

(LOW speed not NO speed)

I've been turning the steering wheel and getting out to check. Maybe that's why I'm convinced nothing is happening in the main cluster. 

9 hours ago, tunedude said:

I agree, this is one adaptation I probably won't be doing.

13 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

That’s not the same as dynamic cornering lights, which, use additional LEDs within the main cluster to change the beam “shape”.

Do all FL VRS have LED clusters then?

Thanks

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't work when stationary. Pretty sure all UK spec FL vRS's have LED headlights with dynamic cornering lights as standard :thumbup:

You can see the LED in action during this clip:

• Like 2

This video gives a drivers view too:

Pretty sure they don't have cornering fogs enabled as nothing changes when they put the indicator on.

It's this light in these area's that's created by the dynamic cornering LEDs:

image.thumb.png.431733b6238d9832ee4718eb7e626634.png

At higher speeds they turn off:

image.thumb.png.70c6911c1eb90241f6324470bea136d2.png

As I say, pretty underwhelming when compared to the 'bending xenons' which moved the projector left/right for the cornering effect :D

• Like 2

Thankyou both.

Yes that really is subtle, I'd have to have been totally not concentrating on where I was going to have noticed that which is probably a good thing 🤣

It's not like I can't see with these lights, best I've ever had. Only complaint is the activation speed of the highbeam on auto (hba), imo is too scary in our twisty country lanes, so have to use my left hand like a normal person 😅

Cheers!

Apologies, got the wrong end of the stick there.

Yeah, you'd think as the technology improves, so would the ability to illuminate the necessary pasts of the road. From what I'm seeing there, they don't look to have really utilised the LED technology.

@encephalopathy.. seen this on loads of different cars before without understanding what it was .. Just looks like faulty fog lights to me 🤭.

I was enquiring about the main been feature visible in the first video shared by @langers2k

Edited by epicmcd

• 1 year later...